Home oil change

Started by Ardent, April 14, 2019, 00:30

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 14, 2019, 15:06
You can do this without jacking the car up or completely removing the nappies. There is a flap secured with a screw that gives access to the sump nut. You can partially undo the front nappy to gain access to the filter.
All this is true but have you actually tried using this method? Makes a right mess in your nappies that then subsequently catches fire...[emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

paulj

+1 on @Ardent 3 jaw oil filter wrench, I have one and it works fine.

For this year's change the oil filter came away by hand - never had one as compliant as that in all the cars I have had.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

jonbill

Ardent

Sussed it.
Side entry.
Will save actual change for another day now.
Jack OSR. which lifts the whole side.  :o
Would just jacking it in the middle hurt?
With osr jacked, gives me enough clearance 
To touch grab filter. Therefore can get claw and ratchet on it.
No nappies to play with. Sorted.
Found axle stand point ad well.
Drain and re fit sump plug on the flat.
Jack osr switch filters. Lower and fill.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2019, 16:42
Sussed it.
Side entry.
Will save actual change for another day now.
Jack OSR. which lifts the whole side.  :o
Would just jacking it in the middle hurt?
With osr jacked, gives me enough clearance 
To touch grab filter. Therefore can get claw and ratchet on it.
No nappies to play with. Sorted.
Found axle stand point ad well.
Drain and re fit sump plug on the flat.
Jack osr switch filters. Lower and fill.
Smallest of amendments to that, jack up and remove drain plug and filter, lower to the flat and go have a beverage or do some cleaning.
Come back, jack up again to refit sump plug and new filter then lower to flat again for fresh oil.
I use a washing up bowl to catch the old oil and can't quite get it under the sump without lifting the car a little.
Oh, don't forget to crack the filler cap to let air in at the top, you know that anyway..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shnazzle

Home Bargains cat litter tray if you're struggling for a low oil recepticle. I paid 1.99.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 14, 2019, 17:01
Home Bargains cat litter tray if you're struggling for a low oil recepticle. I paid 1.99.
Only pay £1 for the washing up bowls..[emoji23]

Call the midlife!

When you say "just jacking it in the middle " do you mean middle of the sill or middle of rear, as in the engine mount?

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 14, 2019, 17:04

Too high for some. That was why I ended with the tray.
Actually the main reason I got it was to do gearbox oil, which I do without lifting the car. The cat litter tray was the only thing to fit under.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 14, 2019, 17:07
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 14, 2019, 17:04

Too high for some. That was why I ended with the tray.
Actually the main reason I got it was to do gearbox oil, which I do without lifting the car. The cat litter tray was the only thing to fit under.
Yeah, I still have to lift mine anyway to do the job but take your point on the kitty litter trays [emoji1303]

Ardent

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 14, 2019, 17:06
When you say "just jacking it in the middle " do you mean middle of the sill or middle of rear, as in the engine mount?

Middle of the cill given the front comes of the floor when jacking the rear ad per the pic above.

Ardent

Cat litter tray here.

@Call the midlife!
I tend to drain oil. Re fit plug then filter separately to minimise mess.
Maybe i need 2 trays.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2019, 17:54
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 14, 2019, 17:06

Middle of the cill given the front comes of the floor when jacking the rear ad per the pic above.
Only ever use the end points with the notches to jack the car, they're strengthened for it. Use any other part and you risk crushing the sill.
I always have to remind myself not to chock the same side wheel as I'm jacking due to it lifting both wheels.

Ardent

Cheers for that tip

Bossworld

This is wonderful, practically spill proof and low profile enough to slide under the car

CarPlan Oil Drainer Can CAR-TPD010-9L https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005F2ZMW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_Pr3SCbEYX9TQX

Joesson

Quote from: Newbie57 on April 14, 2019, 15:06
You can do this without jacking the car up or completely removing the nappies. There is a flap secured with a screw that gives access to the sump nut. You can partially undo the front nappy to gain access to the filter.

You would need loong arms to do that ;) But yes the front / rear nappy does have an access hatch to drain the oil but I looked at that and really didn't feel that lucky with quite where the dirty oil would end up. My thoughts are that it is typically only once, perhaps some ardent all year drivers would change it twice, a year so the oil change is an opportunity to have a good look around.

Johnny5

I last changed my oil in November and now, 5,000 miles later, it's due to be done again.  So, I'm looking to streamline the process any way I can

shnazzle

I picked up a Stahlbus oil drain valve a while ago. It's sitting in the back of the garage somewhere to be forever forgotten to fit every time I do an oil change.
No different on the last service.
I must remember to fit it next service.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Having now worked out how to access the filter.

Q2
Any ingenious ideas on how to minimise the risk of spillage and oil running down your arm as you unscrew it?

JoeCool

Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2019, 22:07

Q2
Any ingenious ideas on how to minimise the risk of spillage and oil running down your arm as you unscrew it?

Drain the rest of the oil first, obviously....

As you unscrew it, keep it as level as possible, and be out of the way so that when you inevitably do lose grip of it, it just drops straight down into your catch tray. Try and have your forearm at a downwards angle, that way the overflow doesn't run straight down your arm into your armpit.

Alternatively you can punch/drill a small hole into the bottom to drain it first, then unscrew.

I've never been able to do the filters on these cars without pulling the offside wheel off. Gives me room for my manly shoulders.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Ardent

Quote from: JoeCool on April 14, 2019, 22:23
Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2019, 22:07

Q2
Alternatively you can punch/drill a small hole into the bottom to drain it first, then unscrew.

I've never been able to do the filters on these cars without pulling the offside wheel off. Gives me room for my manly shoulders.
Like that idea. Drill hole to drain the filter before removing.
I will take the wheel off to make way for my gut.

shnazzle

My process;
- reverse car onto ramps. Chock front wheels
- open engine lid
- remove nappies
- oil tray under sump, undo sump plug
- loosen oil filler cap all the way, leave in place (for debris and not forgetting to put back) . Let oil drain
- remove plastic coilpack cover, undo coil plugs, undo wiring coil 10mm bolts, undo 10mm nut and bolt for coil wiring harness
- remove coils and sparks one by one and replace.
- refit all coil plugs/wires/bolts/nut/cover.
- new washer on sump plug. Back in. Tighten.
- Oil tray under oil filter. Loosen filter with tool of choice.
- Right hand hold funnel (same one I use to fill oil) under filter and unscrew with two fingers of left arm with elbow up, aimed towards the drivers seat. Filter drops into funnel.
- Stand the funnel with filter in it in the corner of oil tray to empty filter and let remaining oil drop out of filter socket. Move from under car, use Juan-sheet is Pleennnty to wipe small amount of oil off my hand.
- get new filter out and lubricate seal
- place new.filter. Hand tighten. Remove oil tray.
- fill oil (3.5ish L), let sit. Check oil level. Fill as necessary.
- tidy up. Replace nappies. Curse nappies. 30 mins rushing complete, just in time to tend to the next house job.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Thinking a like.

I thought about using a funnel to catch whatever and aim it towards the litter tray.

My other idea, (untested) was to hold a plastic bag of some sort with the left hand above the filter mount and use right hand to unscrew filter externally to plastic bag. Filter and contents drop into bag internally whilst hands are external.
Just an idea and clearly have not tested it.

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2019, 23:43
Thinking a like.

I thought about using a funnel to catch whatever and aim it towards the litter tray.

My other idea, (untested) was to hold a plastic bag of some sort with the left hand above the filter mount and use right hand to unscrew filter externally to plastic bag. Filter and contents drop into bag internally whilst hands are external.
Just an idea and clearly have not tested it.
Tried that. Was just annoying. Hence the funnel.
What ended up happening is the oil starts seaping out as you're undoing it, and as that happens, the bag gets stuck in the oil and starts going along with the filter. As it's such a loose thread, you try to pull the bag back and it takes the filter back with it, screwing it back on.
Then, as per the function of said oil, you struggle to grip the filter to turn it. You just end up being an idiot under a car caressing a thoroughly lubed up oil filter through a bag with oil now going over the edge of the bag and onto your hand/arm.
All in all an unpleasant experience and an awkward display of automotive erotica.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: