Ardent

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 14, 2019, 23:28
My process;
- reverse car onto ramps. Chock front wheels
- open engine lid
- remove nappies
- oil tray under sump, undo sump plug
- loosen oil filler cap all the way, leave in place (for debris and not forgetting to put back) . Let oil drain
- remove plastic coilpack cover, undo coil plugs, undo wiring coil 10mm bolts, undo 10mm nut and bolt for coil wiring harness
- remove coils and sparks one by one and replace.
- refit all coil plugs/wires/bolts/nut/cover.
- new washer on sump plug. Back in. Tighten.
- Oil tray under oil filter. Loosen filter with tool of choice.
- Right hand hold funnel (same one I use to fill oil) under filter and unscrew with two fingers of left arm with elbow up, aimed towards the drivers seat. Filter drops into funnel.
- Stand the funnel with filter in it in the corner of oil tray to empty filter and let remaining oil drop out of filter socket. Move from under car, use Juan-sheet is Pleennnty to wipe small amount of oil off my hand.
- get new filter out and lubricate seal
- place new.filter. Hand tighten. Remove oil tray.
- fill oil (3.5ish L), let sit. Check oil level. Fill as necessary.
- tidy up. Replace nappies. Curse nappies. 30 mins rushing complete, just in time to tend to the next house job.
Are you happy you're draining all the old oil with the rear end up on ramps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 15, 2019, 06:40
My process;
- open engine lid
- remove nappies
- loosen oil filler cap all the way, leave in place (for debris and not forgetting to put back) . Let oil drain
- remove plastic coilpack cover, undo coil plugs, undo wiring coil 10mm bolts, undo 10mm nut and bolt for coil wiring harness
- Right hand hold funnel (same one I use to fill oil) under filter and unscrew with two fingers of left arm with elbow up, aimed towards the drivers seat. Filter drops into funnel.
- Stand the funnel with filter in it in the corner of oil tray to empty filter and let remaining oil drop out of filter socket. Move from under car, use Juan-sheet is Pleennnty to wipe small amount of oil off my hand.
- tidy up. Replace nappies. Curse nappies. 30 mins rushing complete, just in time to tend to the next house job.

Ah, glad you noticed :)
As it turns out the slant of my drive is such that when the rear is on ramps, the car is level. Works out rather nicely for gear oil changes etc
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 15, 2019, 06:44
My process;
- open engine lid
- remove nappies

As it turns out the slant of my drive is such that when the rear is on ramps, the car is level. Works out rather nicely for gear oil changes etc
I remember you saying about the slope but only that it gave you better access, just didn't want anyone copying your method on the level and wondering why they were only using 2 litres of oil..[emoji23]

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 15, 2019, 06:49
My process;
- open engine lid
- remove nappies

I remember you saying about the slope but only that it gave you better access, just didn't want anyone copying your method on the level and wondering why they were only using 2 litres of oil..[emoji23]

Very true.
I even modified my litter tray so that it sits flat on my slopey drive, by adding a little leg to one side :)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on April 15, 2019, 07:30
Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 15, 2019, 06:49
My process;
- open engine lid
- remove nappies

Very true.
I even modified my litter tray so that it sits flat on my slopey drive, by adding a little leg to one side :)
Uber nerd...[emoji23]

delhusband

I'd caution against using ferrets and litter trays under the car at the same time

Hate pointy animals

Johnny5

[/quote]

[/quote]I had that problem last time, on a level garage floor.  I didn't get anywhere near the maximum oil in and wondered why.  More than 2 litres, but nowhere near the max, and dipstick came up to the max.  Drive is on a slope, so I will do it there next time

Ardent

:D = Result.

Early start, no need to rush. Phone on charge and blueteethed to Dali Katch speaker playing Andrea Bocelli Si.

So all set for operation oil change.

I have the advantage of starting nappyless.

Engine stone cold, so as much oil in the sump as there is going to be.
Able to get to sump plug straight off with car on the deck. (on Tein S springs) Cracked plug.
Just some cardboard packaging on floor to act as insulation and also acts a slide. 

Broke out the cat litter tray. (just fro clarity, I do not own a bird murdering, mouse tormenting garden border shitting cat)

Positioned tray. Removed oil filler cap. Removed plug and drained. Cleaned plug and fitted new washer.
Gave a good while to drain.

Re-fitted plug and washer. Emptied oil from tray.
Now the fun bit.
Jacked up OSR. Positioned Axle stand. lowered onto stand.
With trusty 3 leg oil filter removal tool on ratchet. Slid under, put tool to filter, before even applying any real pressure filter moved. As it should when done hand tight.
Re-positioned tray under filter. Unscrewed enough to break seal and allow oil to come out using filter as a guide into tray.
When slowed down removed filter completley and into tray. lowered car to assist with draining.
Prepe'd new OEM filter.
Raised OSR again. Cleaned up filter housing surface. Fitted new filter as per instructions. Literally as instructions on box.
Screwed on filter until it "TOUCHES" the housing, and I mean just touches.
The instructions then say turn filter through 3/4 of a turn.
Conveniently, there was some text on the bottom of the filter in a 6 o'clock position. (as I was looking at it) So turned through 9 12 and by the time had got to 3, that was a much as hand tight was going. Who knew?

Lowered and refilled with 3.5 litres of oil.
Deliberately left 200ml short, not knowing what may have been left in.

Cleaned up and went for a 60 mile lid and windows down, sunny, bendy and twisty mile test drive.
Checked underneath so far so good.
Will check level in the morning when stone cold.

Topdownman

Quote from: delhusband on April 15, 2019, 08:28

I'd caution against using ferrets and litter trays under the car at the same time

Its left the sump plug behind...
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

Tags: