Windscreen wipers.

Started by Chilli Girl, April 21, 2019, 21:51

Chilli Girl

Gorgeous run out today but after a 100 miles I thought "get those flies off the screen".  Noticed that the wipers seem really slow.  Can't remember the last time I used them!  New motor, or a good clean required?  The battery is quite new.   Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

Some magic spray?
Lift wipers off screen and turn them on to exercise?

Chilli Girl

Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

The only time I've had a problem with windscreen wipers was on my Fiat 1500 in the early 70's, they were of the centre meeting type. This I found was a linkage problem and at times the linkage went over centre and jammed, this was due to wear in the linkage arms.
Ardents suggestion of "magic spray" would help if it is a linkage problem. I can' t recall how easy it is to access the linkage on the 2 but if you can get the nozzle of a can of WD40 nearby I would give that a try. Be careful to keep the spray away from windscreen and wipers.

Chilli Girl

Cheers Tony - will take a look tomorrow, she's back in her snug garage tonight for a rest!  I worked her hard today but we both enjoyed it. :D

Chilli Girl

Update on the wipers - the "magic spray" worked, thanks Jase and Tony.  That was a cheap fix.  Great drive into the New Forest tonight.  Tony, you will know the A338 from Salisbury to Ringwood, a busy route normally but thankfully not tonight, I had great fun on those twisties. :)

JoeCool

The linkage is sealed for life but surprisingly easy to change. Might be worth pulling the valence off and greasing up the ball joints on the linkages. Eventually the pivot bushes wear through, and your drivers side wiper will wipe all the way past the A pillar!
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: