ABS warning light, speedo stopped and rough tick over, all on the same day

Started by winnershdave, May 5, 2019, 08:50

winnershdave

Hi,

Although I have been on here for a few years, I think this is my first post, so here goes... :D

So a noticed my ABS warning light stayed on the other morning when I drove to work, it was the same on the journey home.  Durning the journey home my speedo stopped working, and then when I got close to home, I noticed the tick-over seemed quite rough and lumpy.

So my question is, are these just coincidence, or are they all tied into a bigger issue?

Also, any good MR2 friendly garages in the Reading area?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Red Edition on a 54 plate

Carolyn

Seems like a lot to be just a coincidence.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while (re-setting the ECU)?

It does sound as though the ECU is developing a fault (rare but does happen).
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jonbill

Engine and abs management are different ecus aren't they? Is it possible that paranoia about the abs fault has you looking for other stuff to worry about?

Carolyn

Quote from: jonbill on May  5, 2019, 10:25
Engine and abs management are different ecus aren't they? Is it possible that paranoia about the abs fault has you looking for other stuff to worry about?

ABS does also go through the main ECU - remember how it flashes when the dongle is plugged in? 

Carolyn

Quote from: winnershdave on May  5, 2019, 08:50
Hi,

Although I have been on here for a few years, I think this is my first post, so here goes... :D

So a noticed my ABS warning light stayed on the other morning when I drove to work, it was the same on the journey home.  Durning the journey home my speedo stopped working, and then when I got close to home, I noticed the tick-over seemed quite rough and lumpy.

So my question is, are these just coincidence, or are they all tied into a bigger issue?

Also, any good MR2 friendly garages in the Reading area?

Thanks in advance

Dave

Red Edition on a 54 plate

Just a thought:  Have you cleaned out your roof drains recently?  I ask because water can build up in the area where the ECU and its connections are....

winnershdave

Thanks all, I will check out the drainage and reset the ECU tomorrow.

Cheers... Dave

Alex Knight

winnershdave

Hi,

So, I checked the drainage and it's all dry, which I a good start.

I took the car for a drive:

1.  The speedo started working after maybe 1/2 a mile
2.  The ABS light is still on, I tried a bit of hard breaking and the car went into a skid, so it looks like that is a genuine fault (any tips would be most appreciated)
3.  Tick-over is much smoother than the other day.

For good measure I reset the ECU with a battery reset.

Any thought on a good MR2 friendly garage in the Berkshire/North Hampshire area?

All the best!

Dave

jonbill

If you're reasonably practical I'd think you'd be able to diagnose it with your mobile and toyota elmscan app.

Tags: