Ride hight 2

Started by Petrus, May 20, 2019, 09:29

Petrus

Surfing German car fora found only good reviews about the KAW set.
They have two versions for the ZZW30, neither adjustable:
25/20mm lower, with apparently Kayaba shocks.
45/40mm lower with Bilstein shocks.

Petrus

Bummer: H&R strongly advises to use the 30/30 combi on the Konis.
So, basically there is only óne choice for me.
..and fit a 10mm spacer on the rear springs.
Suspended the bucket seats for the suspension upgrade.
First the belly brace though; should be about to arrive.

Snelbaard

Does anyone here have any experience with Cusco coilovers? In terms of price they're right in the middle of BC and KW. Are they too in terms of quality?
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Dev

Quote from: Snelbaard on May 29, 2019, 19:55
Does anyone here have any experience with Cusco coilovers? In terms of price they're right in the middle of BC and KW. Are they too in terms of quality?

I don't have any personal experience however there were a few owners that do and say they like them.

I called the company, spoke with a representative and they said they are properly researched and have made further improvements over there previous Zero 2 offerings.  They also have adjustments that are more realistic (only 5 damping setting) unlike the stupid 32 adjustable coilovers that are junk.

The only downside is they are more expensive than the KW.  With the KW you get double adjustable which is worth it in terms of real flexibility.

shnazzle

Dev you have a lot of hate for the BC coilovers it seems.
I've been rather pleased with mine for going on 3 years now. And as they're used in race championships etc they can't be all bad! Granted, yes, I am running the budget variant (BR-RA).

But still, I rate them quite highly (for what you pay, especially)
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

Quote from: shnazzle on May 29, 2019, 20:27
Dev you have a lot of hate for the BC coilovers it seems.
I've been rather pleased with mine for going on 3 years now. And as they're used in race championships etc they can't be all bad! Granted, yes, I am running the budget variant (BR-RA).

But still, I rate them quite highly (for what you pay, especially)

Everyones experience or range of experience is different. Most of the time you get use to what you have and make it work or adjust around it. 
I have helped three owners fit BC coilovers sets, have evaluated them and also have driven many MR-S cars with various suspension systems.
BC is on top of my list of terrible for ride comfort and uneasy handling on paved road surfaces which are not perfect  where I have witnessed them literally bouncing in front of me.  The owners didn't really complain until a few have test driven my car and realized their system was holding them back in terms of confidence. 

If you drive a car with a properly researched system you will notice the difference right away. The first thing you notice is the comfort.   

Sadly out of the three sets I helped installed and followed, all three had failures and needed new cartridges and one needed new studs.    Its just a poor quality product. 

shnazzle

I can't even disagree with regards to the ride comfort and unsettled behavior on bumpy roads... But on normal day to day roads... All good
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Dev on May 29, 2019, 20:06

I don't have any personal experience however there were a few owners that do and say they like them.

I called the company, spoke with a representative and they said they are properly researched and have made further improvements over there previous Zero 2 offerings.  They are also have adjustments that are more realistic (only 5 damping setting) unlike the stupid 32 adjustable coilovers that are junk.

The only downside is they are more expensive than the KW.  With the KW you get double adjustable which is worth it in terms of real flexibility.
But.. but... I NEED 32 levels of damping adjustment to get my settings just perfect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Dev

Quote from: shnazzle on May 29, 2019, 20:44
I can't even disagree with regards to the ride comfort and unsettled behavior on bumpy roads... But on normal day to day roads... All good

If you are driving from point A to point B just about everything available including blown suspension will feel fine. Its when the road demands more and the car is unsettled is when the difference becomes most apparent. 
  A properly researched suspension for the street will be apparent because comfort goes hand in hand with the correct damping. 
The best way to describe good suspension is similar to the ride you get from a new BMW, firm and pleasant. 

After I bought my car I saved up all of my pennies for quality dampers because it is one of those things that you can only get right with more expensive options due to the extensive R&D that goes into them. Other options work out some paper calculations that are wrong and there is no room for error. 

A suspension system like the TRD kit can be softer in feel than what most enthusiast would like  however it will perform predictably well if you were to push it.

Bottom line is, good suspension will not have you bitting your nails worrying if you are going to snap like it might have done causing you to have PSD that holds you back.

Snelbaard

If only sportivo sets were still available.. I'd buy in a heartbeat
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Dev

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 21:15

I called the company, spoke with a representative and they said they are properly researched and have made further improvements over there previous Zero 2 offerings.  They are also have adjustments that are more realistic (only 5 damping setting) unlike the stupid 32 adjustable coilovers that are junk.

But.. but... I NEED 32 levels of damping adjustment to get my settings just perfect...

The advertising is great though.  More settings for how I feel during the day. 
You can clearly see that  Cusco is the real deal when you only get five and out of that only one or two is probably correct.

For my TEIN SSP I would have to send my shocks to them for a re-valve If I decided to use harder springs because that is the correct way to do it.
Not flip some springs and turn the adjuster to where I like it.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Dev on May 29, 2019, 21:34

You can clearly see that  Cusco is the real deal when you only get five and out of that only one or two is probably correct.

For my TEIN SSP I would have send my shocks to them for a re-valve If I decided to use harder springs because that is the correct way to do it.
I've got Meisters, they were a good price through a group buy on here when I bought the car with tired suspension.
I found a setting that suits my haphazard driving style and haven't really changed them since.
Although I finally fitted your door bushings today so that might change.

Dev

Quote from: Snelbaard on May 29, 2019, 21:29
If only sportivo sets were still available.. I'd buy in a heartbeat

I like them a lot having test driven two cars with them.  Its just a little softer than I would like but otherwise it was balanced well.
Set it and forget it, homework done by the experts.   

Petrus

Quote from: Dev on May 29, 2019, 21:21
A suspension system like the TRD kit can be softer in feel than what most enthusiast would like  however it will perform predictably well if you were to push it.

Predictable, linear and complicance is what you want on B-roads and insprires confidence.

We are having a French exchange student over and she has developed absolute confidence in my driving especially the jacked up 340.  We went into the mountains to the climbing park and on the way back she requested I drift as much as possible over the caminos.
The thing moves a lót but it is all ´good natured´, linear, nothing violent or jerky and for me predictable so I can anticipate, don´t have to briskly correct. The occupants feel that and are not surprised by sudden changes.

Dev

I like the suspension to be predictable and the roads to be a bit unpredictable.
   It keeps things interesting. 

Dev

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 21:37

For my TEIN SSP I would have send my shocks to them for a re-valve If I decided to use harder springs because that is the correct way to do it.
I've got Meisters, they were a good price through a group buy on here when I bought the car with tired suspension.
I found a setting that suits my haphazard driving style and haven't really changed them since.

Let me know how you like them. First impressions are always interesting. 

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Dev on May 29, 2019, 21:53
Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 29, 2019, 21:37

Let me know how you like them. First impressions are always interesting.
Will do, I possibly didn't spend as much time getting the sweet spot as I should but I'll see how they go.

james_ly

Thing is though, with the price point of the MR2 there's not many people that would consider spending over 1k on suspension... ultimately the car for me is a cheap bit of fun, so the more budget end of coilovers is acceptable.

Also I guess top end suspension is like expensive wine, once you get a taste...
MR2 gone<br />GT86

shnazzle

Quote from: james_ly on May 30, 2019, 09:06
Thing is though, with the price point of the MR2 there's not many people that would consider spending over 1k on suspension... ultimately the car for me is a cheap bit of fun, so the more budget end of coilovers is acceptable.

Also I guess top end suspension is like expensive wine, once you get a taste...
That's it.
1600 for a set of KWv3,while I'm sure they're beautiful... No.
That's where you get into the territory of fresh KYB shocks and tein springs for 700 and a very compliant, fresh, comfortable ride and 1600 for a little more handling prowess when you're hoofing it on the B roads or on the track...
If I had a dedicated track car... Absolutely no doubt. KW or Ohlin or something
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May 30, 2019, 09:42
That's where you get into the territory of fresh KYB shocks and tein springs for 700

For a bit less even, come the Koni/H&R. That is going to be my next stop if I can´t sort my issue by cutting the OEM springs.
Cutting some off to restore ride height, also increases the stiffness; 5% off = 5% stiffer. Together with lowering RC, COM and reduce jacking, it should be very noticeble.

thetyrant

Im with Dev the BC and other similar/same brands are too much of a compromise for most, sure people rave about them but they often havent driven same car with good suspension to compare, also they are often replacing worn out oe stuff so the coilovers feel better than they are, at least intially.

To be fair to BC i ran them on my old Supercharged MX5 trackcar and they were ok for that as most tracks are smooth but back then they were onyl £400 as well, however on roads i have around here in lake district not so great no matter what setting they were on, they were manageable but far from good on road and springs and damping just wouldnt work together, either too firm or too soft depending on setting.
I swapped that kit for OHlins DFV kit which i got at good price to give feedback to OHlins on MX fitment, damping on that kit was superb and a totally different level to the BC (so it should be at 4 times the rrp) and the way it absorbed the bumps especially at the front of car was amazing!, however due to design issues and lack of travel at the rear ( a common problem with MX rear coilovers) i wasnt happy enough to keep it even at discounted rate and returned it, went back to a BC kit before then returning to stock and selling car, bet there isnt many people that have gone BC - OHLins - BC on same car :D ...also running car for a few weeks before sale on the oe bilsteins was a joy on the road :D

Also to add to this on my old GT86 it came with low end Tein coilovers which while ok never felt as good as i would of liked even with the EDFC tricks, changed those to OE with eibach springs which made much nicer road car but not so good on track, then fitted Ohlins DFV to that as well which while a more road based kit on that car made a very nice setup for road and light track, really needed spring upgrade for track if getting serious but for most usage it was very good indeed!

Koni Sports are my go to damper if on low budget, shame its a bit of a faff to fit these on MR2 due to needing to cut strut to fit inserts but its not a massive job really once you started, also being an insert that has to fit inside the original strut case this make a smaller damper piston etc than oe which limits performance when pushing car hard and things get hot, however for most users not an issue and a set of these with good springs makes a very nice road/light track use, ive also just added Whiteline ARB front and rear which has firmed things up nicely as the Tein springs i have are a bit soft and low really imo, its now a very capable road setup with comfort and body control, lookig forward to trying on track soon!

Each to there own of course and suspension is a very subjective thing so what works for one doesnt feel so good to another :D   if your happy stick with what you have just have an open mind there is often a lot better out there!

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

The Koni inserts is indeed a very nice option. Springs is the part I'm never sure about with that setup.
I don't like the Teins. I don't like the Eibach/TTEs, so what's next?
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Quote from: shnazzle on May 30, 2019, 10:26
The Koni inserts is indeed a very nice option. Springs is the part I'm never sure about with that setup.

SPAX

;D ;D

thetyrant

Quote from: shnazzle on May 30, 2019, 10:26

Why dont you like the Tein springs out of interest ?   I find them ok for what they are just a touch lower than i would like (~10mm maybe) and a bit on soft side for track, not so bad on road though as long as you shorten bumpstops accordingly.

Im looking at further options of either converting stock strut case to adjustable spring perch so i can pick and choose standard coilover spring rates and heights, or possibly get some custom stock fitment springs made like ive recently had done for my old Celica GT4 a as there was no decent options out there, i wanted to drop that 20mm max and uprate rates accordingly so got custom springs made by a company in sheffield, i would like to do same on MR2 but also like the possibility of making them adjustable as well so kind of torn, or i will just by the KW v3 kit :D

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

shnazzle

Too low and too soft.
Just spend all your time bottoming out on compressions. Nein danke
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: