Carolyn & David's Front strut brace.

Started by Carolyn, June 6, 2019, 15:03

steveash

Have to say, my 'Carolyn brand' strut brace makes quite a noticeable difference. My facelift car has no other additional bracing but does have Miester R coilies so the difference is probably magnified. I've had it on the car but it was only until last night that I could give it a proper test. From day one I could feel a difference over rougher roads and had noticed my mirror wobble had gone. When pushing on I have to say there is a clear difference. I find the car far more confidence inspiring.

Many thanks Carolyn and David. Your hard work has proved well worth it.

Carolyn

Quote from: steveash on August 14, 2019, 16:35Have to say, my 'Carolyn brand' strut brace makes quite a noticeable difference. My facelift car has no other additional bracing but does have Miester R coilies so the difference is probably magnified. I've had it on the car but it was only until last night that I could give it a proper test. From day one I could feel a difference over rougher roads and had noticed my mirror wobble had gone. When pushing on I have to say there is a clear difference. I find the car far more confidence inspiring.

Many thanks Carolyn and David. Your hard work has proved well worth it.

Thanks for that endorsement, Steve.  Very gratifying.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

litr0m

@Carolyn when will the next batch be ready for shipping  O:-)  can't await mine...
'04 JDM Subaru Legacy GT Wagon
'05 EDM Toyota MR2 W3 Red Edition

Carolyn

Quote from: litr0m on August 15, 2019, 10:06@Carolyn when will the next batch be ready for shipping  O:-)  can't await mine...

Sometime next week.

litr0m

Carolyn

Just delivered to the powder-coaters.  They're backlogged.  So I'll be getting them back on Friday.

They will go out soon after that.

Carolyn

Right.  They're back from the powder coaters.

They can go out on Monday.

Addresses, please and email contact.

If you want hinge plates, please say so, so I can put them in the package.

Carolyn

Just had a visit from Richard 41.  What a lovely feller!  Typical club member.

He's got a quite high mileage black facelift that is a real little beauty.  It's living proof that condition is everything. 

Anyway.  We fitted a brace and sorted his frunk plastics. Job well done.

Richard took it for a drive and was happy with the result.

Thank you Richard!

Richard41

Thank you so much!

It looks great & not having had any extra bracing before today really noticed the difference driving home, all feels a bit tighter, plus smoother over pot holes/speed bumps etc.

Got stuck behind quite a lot of slow traffic heading home so need to find some twisty roads this week, could feel the benefit at a few roundabouts  ;)  ;D

Chilli Girl

Hi Richard, now aren't you pleased you kept it after that idiot ran into the back of you?  Result today.  :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Richard41

Still needs some work on the back but yes very glad I kept it ;D

All being well I'm off to do North Coast 500 at the end of next month, didn't think I would doing that 6 months ago!

Gaz2405

Brace has just arrived, may pop it on tonight and compare to my trd one.

Woo hoo!
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

litr0m

My brace arrived also today and is allready installed. Couldn't Test ist but the Quality is astonishing and fits Perfect. Unfortunatelly i cut out to much material from the plastic 😂

househead

Quote from: litr0m on August 29, 2019, 18:55My brace arrived also today and is allready installed. Couldn't Test ist but the Quality is astonishing and fits Perfect. Unfortunatelly i cut out to much material from the plastic 😂

I made a similar mistake down to a measuring error... DOH

I agree the quality is excellent. I've also had a chance to test mine now and cornering is even more lovely than before and definitely more rigidity going over bumps. Very happy.

This alongside @Snelbaard breastplate and @Dev door bushes and I'm now fully braced-up!
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Snelbaard

I made that mistake as well, sadly.
Also thanks for the shout out Househead! Much appreciated.
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Richard41

2 hrs in the car yesterday, first time on lots of twisty roads, just started second part of advanced driving course so got quite a good work out!

Really like how it feels more rigid & planted in the bends, still the same rattly old car ;D but does soak up most of potholes & bumps so much better.

Big thumbs up from me.

Petrus

Quote from: litr0m on August 29, 2019, 18:55Unfortunatelly i cut out to much material from the plastic 😂

Simply take the whole lot out so it stays unmolested.

Carolyn

Quote from: Richard41 on August 30, 2019, 07:232 hrs in the car yesterday, first time on lots of twisty roads, just started second part of advanced driving course so got quite a good work out!

Really like how it feels more rigid & planted in the bends, still the same rattly old car ;D but does soak up most of potholes & bumps so much better.

Big thumbs up from me.

I've got another plastic.... or two...  thought this might happen.

jonbill

If it helps, here's how I cut mine out without disaster:
First,
Batter the plastics with a rubber mallet where you know the strut top studs are so they make an impression on the under side of the plastics.

Then take the plastics off and drill m10 where the 3 stud imprints are, on each side.

Then put the plastics back on with the strut studs poking through  and you can lay the brace on over the studs and draw round it.
You cannot view this attachment.

The take it off and cut it out.

shnazzle

Quote from: jonbill on August 30, 2019, 17:36If it helps, here's how I cut mine out without disaster:
First,
Batter the plastics with a rubber mallet where you know the strut top studs are so they make an impression on the under side of the plastics.

Then take the plastics off and drill m10 where the 3 stud imprints are, on each side.

Then put the plastics back on with the strut studs poking through  and you can lay the brace on over the studs and draw round it.

Damn, I wish I had thought of that.
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

That's not a bad (if brutal) method.

I did provide instructions for doing it by measuring one point on each side, marking those on the plastic, and using those to position the brace and trace around it.

Of course, one must measure accurately.

Joesson

Quote from: jonbill on August 30, 2019, 17:36If it helps, here's how I cut mine out without disaster:
First,

Difficult to better/ batter that method.

litr0m

Quote from: Carolyn on August 30, 2019, 17:45That's not a bad (if brutal) method.

I did provide instructions for doing it by measuring one point on each side, marking those on the plastic, and using those to position the brace and trace around it.

Of course, one must measure accurately.

There where no such Instruction in my package...

Carolyn

Attached to your email, buddy....

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on August 30, 2019, 19:55Attached to your email, buddy....

... thánk you. Grrrrr.
Just spat beer on my screen.

Tags: