£860 MR T. £720 FOR A CAT CONVERTER

Started by Anonymous, April 4, 2005, 21:11

Anonymous

Hmm noticed a slight knocking coming from the engine the other day, it sounded as if i had a turbo (i dont) when i went just over and then back down off of 3000rpm.

Woke up today and bang bang bang.....the engine/back end is clattering like mad, whenever i accelerate or let off the gas the engine knocks and rattles....

Like putting a stone on a tin tray and shaking it...very loud....it stops when im at a constant rpm of 1500 and remain in 4th.

Took it to see mr t, they said most likely just the heat manifold rattling....

I went to collect, expecting a cheap repair bill, only it hadnt been done and told it will cost £860.......im 18 so i couldnt afford it there and then so went home........i asked and was told it will be ok to drive the car but the rattling will get worse and worse.....

It needs a new catalytic converter, £720inc vat + £9 for something and then labour.

The car is a 51 plate, 3 yr 5month old car without a warranty....
Was it a pre cat issue........is it actually the cat converter that is broke or is it likely something else and i have had the info dumbed down....

Is £720 the best price....what about a second hand one.....if i buy a Catalytic converter second hand will toyota tuch it?

Is it worth going somewhere else or will they break it more *last time i had to take it to toyota as the mechanic replaced the steering rack charged me for that, and then wasnt sure what else was wrong but it just wouldnt work!*

So what would u guys do?
Im living on a student loan so good cheap solutions please!

Cheers

darrenjuggins

Best tip speak to Adam - AKA Jap3000 - he might be able ot source you the part and then get the garage to fit it.

As for cheap solutions - unfortunatly car's arn't cheap and the big bits do cost money.

Best advice would be to get this sorted and then think about paying for an extended warranty on the car (£540) but seeing i've just had the following out of it, it would seem value for money:

- New Discs all round Circa £200
- New Cat and Pre Cat £1,500
- New Short block (basically new engine) £2,000
- Power steering pump £920
- Rear Brake Cable £120
- Rear Hub Bearing £250

Mine was bought new, so I no every inch of how it's been driven and I've now covered £70k - I'm happy with the car, but VERY happy I extended the warranty.

I know it won't help with this incident, but if you are on a tight but and intend to keep the car, then It would be a prudent investment considering your current prediciment.

anyway - thats my two penence - so get intouch with adam and see if he can save you some money.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

GSB

Assuming this is a heat shield problem, where the welds that hold the sheild to the down pipes fracture and cause it to rattle like mad, and not the well known disintigrating cat problem, then its an easy fix. Mine did the same thing when it was about 2 years old. I couldnt be bothered to take it to the dealers and wait a whole day for them to fix it though, when my trusty angle grinder could remove the problem in about 10 minutes flat. It's pretty easy, and unless you are gong to buy the new cat with the updated heatshields, it'll only happen again. Cut the bastard off and enjoy.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Hmm would simply removing the heat shield fix the noise making problem? Im not too fussed about a bad cat that is letting to much rubbish in the air......i assume it wouldnt pass the MOT though!

GSB

Quote from: "philiselogan"Hmm would simply removing the heat shield fix the noise making problem? I'm not too fussed about a bad cat that is letting to much rubbish in the air......i assume it wouldnt pass the MOT though!

The heatshield is a tin shield that is wrapped around the pipe, and has very little to do with the operation of the cat itself. Its principle functions are to keep the heat in the cat to ensure its running efficiently, and to prevent grass fires.  Your cat is in all liklihood working fine. A non functioning cat will eventually bring up a Check Engine Light.

As for curing the rattle. Well, once you remove the shield it may still rattle, but you'll neither care about it or even hear it if its rattling around in the bottom of the skip.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

This is very common problem on these cars, and has been addressed in later models by changing the design to one without welded heatshields.

If you want confirmation. get a helper to rev the car up so that the rattling can be heard. and then use a broomstick to push down on the heatshield from above. You can see it if you look down under the exhaust manifold at the rear of the engine. Follow the tubes out of the manifold, and where they turn towards the back of the car, thats where you place the broomstick. Puch down gently on the shields, and if the rattling stops, you can save yourself the beat part of a grand with 10 minutes of angle grinding... Of course if your not mechanically minded, it may be worth asking someone who is to help you diagnose the problem.
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Hey thanks for the advice will try it....

The only thing im not sure of, if this is the only problem, why are toyota suggesting a new cat?

Before looking at it the guy did mention if it was the *thing i cant remember the name* it could be fixed with cable ties....

If this will stop the rattling great, but is there an underlying problem?

Cheers mate!

Anonymous

Hi,all
srry its been sooo long since my last post. finaly got round to building a new PC after abit of a melt down .
Anywho, like you ive just a phone call from mr t regard my 2 ,took it in with a tinny rattle ( which i found to be the cowleing around the 2nd cat) and 20% ish power loss.   s:( :( s:(  
Apparently it`s gonna cost me £730 for a new cat to fix this bloody rattle, and they arent even sure if the cat`s causing the power loss.
 I mean come on, surely with technology the way it is a simple emisions test will prove that. So basicaly ive told Sims toyota in Northampton to stick it up their tail pipe and i`ll source one myself.
Ive got a couple of leads atm ,heres one but im yet to phone them as iv`e been on nights.
 m http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk/contact.html m
`ill update once i know the score. If anyone else can source one it would be much appreciated

P.S the cowleing around my cat is the pinned type not the welded

GSB

Quote from: "philiselogan"Hey thanks for the advice will try it....

The only thing I'm not sure of, if this is the only problem, why are toyota suggesting a new cat?

Before looking at it the guy did mention if it was the *thing i cant remember the name* it could be fixed with cable ties....

If this will stop the rattling great, but is there an underlying problem?

Cheers mate!

The underlying problem is bad design, which was solved on later cars by using a slightly different heatshield. The reason they fit a new cat, is beacause once its welded into position, the heatshield and cat are one and the same part, The shield cannot be removed without destroying (or at least quite badly damaging) it.

Sadly, it would appear your man at Toyota is an idiot. Cable ties wont work, as they have a tendency to melt when put on exhaust pipes. I tried stainless jubilee clips, and even a stainless steel version of cables ties, but the thermal cycling and vibration soon put paid to that idea. In the end I jacked the car up, dropped the plastic nappy, donned a pair of goggles and cut the shield off. It never rattled again in the time I owned the car, which was another 12 months or so.

Quote from: "Luminous Plumz"P.S the cowleing around my cat is the pinned type not the welded

The vast majority of the shield is bolted and the new version looks much the same. its only the very front end of the shield, just by the flexi joints in the downpipes that is welded. There are 2 very small welds there, which weld the lower half of the shield to the downpipes in 2 places. I've crawled around a large number of MR2 exhausts, of varying years, and I have only ever noticed the imporved design on very late cars, so I imagine your 2000 has the welded design. You need to get right under the car to see it though. I fear that rattling heatshields may be the least of your problems though, as a 20% power loss indicates far more serious goings on within your engine, check your oil, and pull your O2 sensors to take a look at your pre-cats.

Anonymous

Hmmm.  I had this rattling a couple of weeks ago and took it to Mr T.  under warranty.  They "modified the heatshield around the cat".  Anyway, it doesn't rattle anymore    s:| :| s:|  

When I next get a chance I'll take a look at exactly what they have done.

Anonymous

Managed to source a cat for £140 from a breakers yard, any thoughts on the price or getting a second hand one?

Cheers

Anonymous

I'd be nervous.  Firstly, it would need careful inspection to make sure it isn't going to rattle just as badly as the first, and even then it might start rattling pretty soon as they all seem to have a tendancy to do.

Secondly, I would be worried that the car had had either a bad misfire or precat failure at some point in it's life, killing or blocking the cat anyway.  You would't find out until it was fitted and either the car had no power or the check engine light came on

If it was me, I'd take GSBs advice and get rid of the heatshield.  A local mechanic won't charge more than about £30 to do it for you.

Anonymous

Wow....cheers guys

went to the local ATS and theyhad it up on the ramp and started to remove the heat shield....Need to use a blow tourch to get it off.

they said they can take most of the shield off but not all of it, a tiny piece, where toyota wielded it to the cat had to stay.

It now is almost perfect, the only time i can even slightly hear it is when im in 5th doing 30, but i suppose i should be in 4th anyway! + it is the smallest sound you can hardly hear it....

Toyota fixed prict: £860
ATS: £0.....The guy said not to worry, very nice chap!

Cheers Guys (With the money i saved i bought two black leather seats from a breaker for £250)

Black leather door cards anyone?

Anonymous

just spoke to B & M catalytic and the Roadsters cat is still in developement. est completion is 2 weeks.   Oh well back to the drawing board

Jap GT300

I have a couple of second hand Catalytic converters available.  They are £100 delivered if any one wants them.  I can also take off the heat shields before they are sent if that is required.

Thanks Adam

Anonymous

just spoke to the guyz @  m http://www.buypartsby.co.uk m  .....
very helpful chaps. they dont have one on the shelfs but if you got a spare cat they will pick it up and fabricate one for about $150 and take about 2 days. if your intersted they might do a bulk purchase, just quote my name james kidson not the luminousplumz bit,u might get sum funny looks.

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"The underlying problem is bad design, which was solved on later cars by using a slightly different heatshield. The reason they fit a new cat, is beacause once its welded into position, the heatshield and cat are one and the same part, The shield cannot be removed without destroying (or at least quite badly damaging) it.

That's interesting - I had exactly this problem after fitting my H&S exhaust the other week.  The first couple of days it was fine, then this annoying tinny rattle started and gradually got worse. At the weekend, I reluctantly took the bumper and everything off again to have another look (in a way I needed to do this anyway as I wanted to drop the tips by half a centimetre or so as they were sitting too close to the bumper).

Anyway, after tightening everything up I was about to put it all back together when I accidentally knocked the cat and heard the exact rattle that had been annoying me so much. When I investigated it further, one of the bolts holding the heatshield on underneath had somehow worked loose.  I tightened it up, put it all back together and it's now perfect.

My next project is going to be de-catting   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: