2zz 2nd gear issue

Started by Benlake, July 23, 2019, 21:18

Benlake

Hi I have a weird issue, car is 2zz swapped from a 2006 6 speed, I swapped original brackets and added the brass bushings.

The issue is under heavy braking it wont go into 2nd gear, once weight transfer balances out it goes in fine, all other times gear changes work perfectly fine.

It really feels like I am somehow fighting the weight of the engine when going from 3rd to 2nd.

Anyone had this or know a solution?

Thanks

inside

I had a similar issue and was resolved by loosening the 2 bolts on the arm with cable bushing, moving it a bit up/down or left/right and tightening down. I actually replaced the arm with new one, but the shifting was worse... because it was to tight with the other arm. So after using few different positions I found out best shifting was if it had some slack against the arm on the gearbox, allowing some movement.

Benlake

Ok thanks glad it isn't just me! Was it the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the gearbox accessed from the engine bay or the bolts holding the cables in place accessed from inside the car behind the gear stick? ThanksYou cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

inside

It was the bracket at the gearbox side, the "crossgate lever" on this picture: http://www.trueleo.com/linkagestock01.jpg

JB21

I get similar to this in my 2ZZ 6 speed. In my case I think its the cables stretching when very hot as I don't get it when cold or warming up only after extended periods of kicking its head in.

Yours sounds like play in engine/gearbox mounts. Under braking if the engine shifts forward even slightly this will have an affect on the shifter/gate cables.

Benlake

I tried some spacers in between the two bolts in the picture, it seems to have helped a little but it still jammed. With mine it only jams on maximum breaking would only notice on track really as normally not braking like this on the road.

inside

Did you try just loosening the bolts, and putting the bracket in upper most position - so that it is the most loose against the level with weight...

Benlake

Not yet will give that at try

Tags: