Alternative to forced induction kit

Started by Nick@62, August 19, 2019, 10:59

Nick@62

Hi all. Trying to put my MR2 on the track but have a limited budget and so I'm looking at alternatives available instead of fitting an induction kit. As the battery is going to be relocated to the cockpit it looks as though there might be enough room to re-position the existing filter box in its place, turned through 90 degrees so that the air intake can be extended to the side vent. Has anyone researched this option? Any mileage in this or am I wasting my time?

Nick@62

Thanks for the link Petrus. Interesting reading. I wonder, then, why all the Roadsters at Brands at the weekend were running induction kits?

Petrus

Quote from: Nick@62 on August 19, 2019, 11:36Thanks for the link Petrus. Interesting reading. I wonder, then, why all the Roadsters at Brands at the weekend were running induction kits?

Can´t answer that as each and every owner will have his/her own reasons.

My guess it is the same thing as larger rims/wider tyres being the default go to in general for ´tuning´ a car: Everyone does it because everyone does it.

The definite intake thread is as well argumented on first hand experience as you could wish for so take you pick.

jonbill

More induction noise feels faster!

Petrus

Quote from: jonbill on August 19, 2019, 12:01More induction noise feels faster!

Yet in my anatomy illustrations the ear bone is not connected to the bum bone ;-)

StuC

Quote from: Petrus on August 19, 2019, 12:23
Quote from: jonbill on August 19, 2019, 12:01More induction noise feels faster!

Yet in my anatomy illustrations the ear bone is not connected to the bum bone ;-)

Connected by that invisible force called 'feelings'. 8) ;)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

Quote from: Nick@62 on August 19, 2019, 11:36Thanks for the link Petrus. Interesting reading. I wonder, then, why all the Roadsters at Brands at the weekend were running induction kits?
A shorter induction kit gives you more of a "race-y" feel when you first enter the throttle as the car takes in a wallop of sudden air and runs leans for a split second while the ecu corrects.

Funny thing is, after that, you're actually losing torque until you get to the high load/rpm area where you want a big gaping hole into your intake. So you get the "oomph" for 0.2 seconds as you press the throttle, and then on the long straights, 6000rpm, you're (potentially) benefiting from less restriction. 

To answer your question, it's a very interesting setup! As long as you keep the stock airbox and maintain a good length of pipework between airbox and throttle body, you may be onto something
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: StuC on August 19, 2019, 12:30Connected by that invisible force called 'feelings'. 8) ;)

Yeah, I am a bit challeged there as I have a stopwatch blocking the connection.

Nick@62

Quote from: shnazzle on August 19, 2019, 12:45
A shorter induction kit gives you more of a "race-y" feel when you first enter the throttle as the car takes in a wallop of sudden air and runs leans for a split second while the ecu corrects.

Funny thing is, after that, you're actually losing torque until you get to the high load/rpm area where you want a big gaping hole into your intake. So you get the "oomph" for 0.2 seconds as you press the throttle, and then on the long straights, 6000rpm, you're (potentially) benefiting from less restriction.

To answer your question, it's a very interesting setup! As long as you keep the stock airbox and maintain a good length of pipework between airbox and throttle body, you may be onto something
Thanks for your response. I'll look further into viability.

Tags: