Finally.. [edit: now with pictures of the polished result]

Started by aaronjb, April 6, 2005, 20:27

aaronjb

got around to fitting the J-spec nose badge I bought off Craig erm.. a long time ago. Ooh it does look so much nicer, doesn't it  s:) :) s:)  (This was one of the altered ones with a blue background, IIRC)

Easier than I thought to get the old one off, too - hot (hot hot) water on a sponge and sat the sponge on the badge for a while, then boiled a kettle (stopped it boiling when the water was just too hot to stick my fingers in), poured that over for a few seconds, then used a bit of dental floss to cut the glue (I won't be flossing with that bit again  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )..

Took the residue off with hot soapy water, WD40 and the blunt handle of a stainless teaspoon (oh, and my fingernails).

It'll need a t-cut around the badge to get the final marks off, I think, but it's looking good  s:) :) s:)

Even washed and polished the rest of the car. That'll be the.. erm.. first time I've ever polished it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (Well, T-cutted it, I'll invest in some proper renovator, sealer and wax as & when I have money spare)

Sorry, largely pointless post I know, but I'm proud of myself  s;) ;) s;)  Honestly, me getting up off my fat ar*e doesn't happen often  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Even washed and polished the rest of the car. That'll be the.. erm.. first time I've ever polished it  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  (Well, T-cutted it, I'll invest in some proper renovator, sealer and wax as & when I have money spare)

Don't leave it too long; your freshly stripped, raw, paint finish is now oxidising rapidly. Get something on it soon, if only to protect it. Toyota paint (well, most modern paints) are notoriously bad - witness the many "pink" mk2's driving round, that were once red...

aaronjb

Quote from: "pmdye"Don't leave it too long; your freshly stripped, raw, paint finish is now oxidising rapidly. Get something on it soon, if only to protect it. Toyota paint (well, most modern paints) are notoriously bad - witness the many "pink" mk2's driving round, that were once red...

I don't think the paint finish could get much worse.. heh  s:) :) s:)  I'm sure the previous owner polished it with a brillo pad..

There's some Mer in the shed actually - if I get chance tomorrow morning (assuming it's not honking it down with rain), I shall give it a quick polish with that  s:) :) s:)  It's a bit dark to do it now I think..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

I've got a feeling Mer is one of the few things you can put on wet - even in-the-wash-bucket if you want ?

Anonymous

Yeah i use MER - you put it in the bucket to comliment the other stuff.

Normally have to dry the car b4 you wax it using it IIRC

aaronjb

Hmm - yeah, you can definitely add it to the bucket, but I'm not sure if you can put it on the car wet.. I'll have to check the (quite old!) bottle.

Man, I really wish I had a buffer though - my right arm aches like mad already!

If I do this in the morning, I'll have to do it real early, before going out (on a date) - I'll probably be walking around with a limp right arm, she'll be wondering what I've been frantically doing with it all morning  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Quote from: "aaronjb"I'll probably be walking around with a limp right arm, she'll be wondering what I've been frantically doing with it all morning  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Just tell her you have been polishing your asset!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"Just tell her you have been polishing your asset!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

:rofl: I didn't expect that to come from you Liz!  s:D :D s:D

Liz

Why not, does everyone think that I am little miss innocent!!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

aaronjb

Well I thought you'd at least be lady-like  s;) ;) s;)

Apparently not  s:D :D s:D

I've not had the pleasure of your company yet, don't forget, so I don't know what you're like at all  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

It made me giggle!

Liz

I work out of a Police station, my humour has dropped down into the sewers lately   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I apologise for not being lady like!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

aaronjb

Quote from: "Liz"I apologise for not being lady like!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

No need to apologise to me, my own sense of humour has been swimming around in the gutter for years  s;) ;) s;)   s:D :D s:D

aaronjb

Here we go, polished with Mer this morning (started at 7am - I didn't half get some funny looks from people going to work  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:D :D s:D )

Click the pics for a bigger [800x600] version (mods, feel free to tell me to remove the embedded pics and just leave links, if 8 pics is a bit much  s:) :) s:) )

New nose badge, yay  s:) :) s:)

Attempt at an arty shot. Er. Just looks silly, really  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Another attempt at an arty shot. Again, just looks silly, especially as you can see my bald head in the headlamp!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (Now you can see why I code websites, but get designers to design them  s;) ;) s;) )

Roof down goodness  s:) :) s:)

Took me ages to get it to fold with no ears, too!

Er. Yes. Another arty attempt, and ooh look - peeling alloys!

Ooh, I'm so glad you can't see the huge car shaped area of utterly dead grass that's under the car  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I think you put it on squint  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Simon

Like the j-spec badge, you have made me want one for mine now!

This site is lethal, every time I log on it makes me want to spend meore of my hard earned cash!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Simon"This site is lethal, every time I log on it makes me want to spend meore of my hard earned cash!

trust me it only gets worse  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Liz

Ditto that, 3k later   s:? :? s:?

Tags: