The story of Stag's 60,000 engine explosion.

Started by Stag, September 14, 2019, 02:01

Stag

This is just the story of my 60,000-mile mr2 engine that blew up just a month of driving. If you're not fussed about a little back story and just want to get to the juicy bit and pics, just skip the first section.

To start off with a little background, I rather recently turned 20 years old. Always been a fan of anything and everything with an engine. Ive had motorbikes, cars, even made a pushbike with an 80cc two-stroke engine.  Refused to sink as low as getting a moped, So the moment I could afford it I bought my self a little german supermoto bike. Which was later robbed and set on fire, Next was a Korean hyosung gt125r a 125cc sports bike, which was pretty sweet. DOCH, funly enough it had a full-size frame. After a month the engine blew up. Lucky me I know. Luckily for 17 year old me the 250cc engine is the exact same size and shape as the 125cc(you can see where this is going) having a 250cc registered and fully appearing as 125cc was brilliant until that blew up after two short months.

I moved to France for 9 months after I left school because the UK sucks.

Once returning I decided enough is enough, Started my driving lessons. Did 8 lessons went for my test and got two minors. I bought myself a seat Ibiza which was cool but it's not what my heart wanted. I passed in July, by December I was the proud owner of a 2001 60,000 mile Toyota mr2 roadster, With 0 no claims, my insurance would have been something like 4500. I would have to wait till July before I could get her on the road. Yet there was work to be done. I wanted her to be perfect. I did
Axiliry belt
Big End barings
Piston Rings
Oil filter
Fresh oil of course
Plugs
K&N Cold air intake
Alloys
Brake pads, Painted the calipers, and sexy grooved discs
Stainless pre catless manifold, catless downpipe, and twin exit exhaust
and a few more bits and bobs not worth mentioning, Just general car maintenance to ensure she was perfect

Eventually, July rolls around. Get it Mot'd on the first day of my Insurance (Insurance is 2500, gotta love being young but shes more than worth it) Fall madly in love with my 2. Learn how to handle snap oversteer all the usual 2 jazz. I put around 1000 miles on to it, over the course of a month.

Now the juicy part, Little old Louis is on the way back from breaking up with his girlfriend of a couple of years, Who lived 30 mins down the A38 from where I live. Talk about timing. It's raining so as you all know you gotta drive slow n steady unless you want to end up in a hedge. All of a sudden I hear a fairly loud bang, Loose all power; Oil pressure light flashing, Check engine light flashing. I pull in to the hard shoulder knowing full well this is bad. With 3% battery on my phone, I finally get a tow truck to come find me. Where I snagged a photo-worthy of the AA's website.

Devastated the next day the first thing I check is the dipstick, For whatever reason, I thought, Maybe it's just burnt all the oil and it's not starting because its dry (I was emotional okay)I naively poured in £30 of the finest oil which immediately did this.

After removing the sump I was greeted with what nightmares are made of. A pick n mix of your favorite engine parts.

Still not quite sure what caused this, Need to rip into the old engine once I get a moment to try and work out why.

Now we move to the present. My 2 is back on the road. The result of all this has been a positive one, I've learned so much, from some great mentors on this forum. Looking forward to the next adventure this car brings me. If you read this all, I hope it was worth the read.

Massive thank you again to Carolyn and shnazzle, and of course, anyone else whom replied to my thread getting the new engine going. Cheers
Louis

shnazzle

Hell of a tale. How the hell did it blow just cruising? I've never seen one piston and rod in that many pieces. I'm sure Carolyn has, but probably not in an economy engine cruising down a wet road. 

I can definitely sympathise with wanting to leave your home  country(I've still never returned) , but... France? :)

Glad you're back on the road. Try not to blow this one! 

Great addition to the club, look forward to more tales. You write well BTW.
...neutiquam erro.

Stag

Quote from: shnazzle on September 14, 2019, 08:05Hell of a tale. How the hell did it blow just cruising? I've never seen one piston and rod in that many pieces. I'm sure Carolyn has, but probably not in an economy engine cruising down a wet road.

I can definitely sympathise with wanting to leave your home  country(I've still never returned) , but... France? :)
Only went France so I could ski :)

Tags: