Hopefully you'll be one the mend soon.

househead

Quote from: panderoo on August 10, 2020, 15:17Sorry to hear that @Carolyn

Hopefully you'll be one the mend soon.

Yep well said.

Hope you feel better soon @Carolyn
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

steveash

@Carolyn I finally got my car out of storage and brace fitted. I haven't driven it for 10 months so can't do a back-to-back comparison but I can still feel a noticeable improvement. Can't thank you enough for the considerable work you did on this and the front strut brace. Mine is now a changed car very much for the better. Sure-footed, precise and a real pleasure to drive. The extra flexing and vibrations caused by my firmer suspension (Meister R struts) are now completely ironed out. It also happily still clears the numerous speed bumps that seem to be breeding all around our new home!

shnazzle

Interesting. Quite like this guy's videos 

https://youtu.be/4l8KWwL7ngg
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

I have seen some of his videos before and enjoyed them.

The braces seem really expensive for america where this sort of stuff is usually cheap, 750$, jeez!

How many times did he say cha-see? It annoys me every time I hear it and that was one of the most times I have heard it in a single video!

(Thank god they werent made out of aluminum though).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: Topdownman on November  2, 2020, 21:04The braces seem really expensive for america where this sort of stuff is usually cheap, 750$, jeez!

That is a lot of money to make a car noticeably heavier ;-)

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on November  2, 2020, 22:07
Quote from: Topdownman on November  2, 2020, 21:04The braces seem really expensive for america where this sort of stuff is usually cheap, 750$, jeez!

That is a lot of money to make a car noticeably heavier ;-)
That was my thought. That's a lot of metal he added. Roll bar, door bars, rail braces, those front braces.. But the most noticeable one was the door jam bushes :)

I wish he had tested them all separately or at least sequentially
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on November  2, 2020, 22:38That was my thought. That's a lot of metal he added. Roll bar, door bars, rail braces, those front braces.. But the most noticeable one was the door jam bushes :)

The customary used mild steel tubes for a roll bar are some 2 lbs / foot.
Door bars smaller diameter but thicker walled.
I think he added some 50 kilo.
As such adding even this simple low tech steel is more expensive/kg than lightening :-O

Let us for calculating sake assume a 1000 kg car.
Adding 50 kilo in bracing versus adding 50 kilo of lightness without changing stiffness
5% more mass vs 5% less mass, making 10% difference.

The ham question is whether the added stiffness outweighs the 10% more tyre traction, better braking, better accelleration of the equivalent lightening.
Thát is the ham question about bracing: Does the added stiffness outweigh the same spending on adding lightness.

Anyone have an educated guess about the weight of this ´collapsable shopping trolley´?

I háve added bracing weight. I confess I have sinned.
An Ultrathingy front strut brace, Snelbaard floor pan brace and the TRD lower control arm braces are under way.
I recon that they improve more than the 6 kilo weight difference comparing to having spent same on lightening. Maybe I wíll take the airco pump off to have a win-win ;-)

ralf321

Petrus, may I ask where you got the TRD braces from ?
I found a video the other day where a guy was showing his cheapo ones with completely worn out fixation holes. Seems to be a lot of flexing going on there.

Petrus

Quote from: ralf321 on November  2, 2020, 23:43Petrus, may I ask where you got the TRD braces from ?

From SC here.
Was quite surprised to see them pop up so pounced no haggling. Being Dutch born that is still nagging at me but hey, they áre under way ;-)

Snelbaard has reproduced the Cusco version I think.

Carolyn

I'm about to do a limited run of our front strut brace.

We'll be making a dozen, two of which are already reserved.  If you want to go on the list, please respond.  First come, first served. 

They will probably be posted out early in January.  I don't take payment until they are about to be posted.

They are VERY stiff.  Plastics do have to be cut, however.

Price will be  £165each including a £15 donation to the club

Pics for those who aren't aware of what they are:

You cannot view this attachment.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on December  1, 2020, 11:36I'm about to do a limited run of our front strut brace.

Véry good to read you feel energised again Carolyn!!

FredyCro

Quote from: Carolyn on December  1, 2020, 11:36I'm about to do a limited run of our front strut brace.

We'll be making a dozen, two of which are already reserved.  If you want to go on the list, please respond.  First come, first served. 

They will probably be posted out early in January.  I don't take payment until they are about to be posted.

interested
IG: optimal_zzw30

Carolyn

Quote from: FredyCro on December  9, 2020, 20:25

interested

I'll put you on the list in 'private sales'.

Porker

Put me down for one please, Carolyn.

Carolyn

Quote from: Porker on December 21, 2020, 13:35Put me down for one please, Carolyn.
Will do. You can follow progress in the 'PrivateSales' section.

Porker

Thanks. However, I can't see any Private Sales section even though I'm logged in. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Carolyn

Quote from: Porker on December 21, 2020, 14:12Thanks. However, I can't see any Private Sales section even though I'm logged in. Could you point me in the right direction please?

Ahh it might be one of those sections where you need thirty posts to get to play. Just make a bunch of comments on any threads that interest you.

But worry not - you're on the list.  I shall send you a PM.

Porker

Got it. Many thanks.

Porker

PM replied to - only just seen it - sorry for that.

Is there any way of getting an email notification when you're sent a PM?

Carolyn

Yes- I get them.  Not sure how it's turned on.  In the account section, I think.

Click on your name at the top left.

Porker

Ah - under "Notifications". Hopefully sorted now.

Petrus

Quote from: ralf321 on November  2, 2020, 23:43Petrus, may I ask where you got the TRD braces from ?
I found a video the other day where a guy was showing his cheapo ones with completely worn out fixation holes. Seems to be a lot of flexing going on there.

You mean this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG56S8-R80k

That is alumium. Not a good idea for this application and yes it illustrates as clearly as one could want what a steel brace can do there.

ralf321

Yes, that was the clip I meant.

Carolyn

I still have three strut braces left from the last batch.

Tags: