Hillclimb and Turbo car (s)

Started by tets, September 29, 2019, 12:00

tets

I thought i'd better start a new readers ride as the old one is a really out of date now!
In 2015 we bought the car for the Mrs as a daily which ended up in someones garden via the fence

Quick trip here

and it was back to normal

Then this happened along with a front side swipe on a roundabout

and the Mrs decided she didn't want to drive it anymore so she nicked my Subaru Outback and I was using the MR2

Having raced and rallied over the years I thought about a return so sent it to JP Cages for a half cage

While it was there the worst happened and I had a heart attack - who'd have thought it at 47 but hey ho!
Apologies for the following if anyones squeamish but this is my heart pre and post op!

Things on hold for a bit whilst trying to convince the MSA that I had to take a substance for my health that is on the banned list for sports.
Eventually they agreed and issued my license!

I also needed a tow vehicle and new trailer so bought a camper (which has now been half way round Europe as well)

and trailer

I was on the lookout for some TTE lowering springs as in the standard class you are allowed factory / dealer options as well as the safety upgrades. A pair of buckets and harnesses were bought, racesuit, gloves, boots and after asking for vouchers for Demon Tweeks for Christmas a new helmet.

I had planned to have a year in standard then move up a class to roadgoing which allows most mods but the engine / box etc has to be original but again any of the dealer options are allowed.

Earlier this year while sat on a campsite in France browsing marketplace (which is really dangerous), a set of TTE springs came up but they were attached to this

The advantage was it also has this

Some of you may remember it as it was a build on here a long time ago but doesn't look like it's turned a wheel since.

Both wouldn't fit on the drive so I rented a small unit and started swapping the suspension over and also bought new bushes (standard)
I had thought about building the new car into the roadgoing class car but having had it up in the air i'm not sure the shell is salvageable. It's in much worse nick than my other one which is bordering on immaculate underneath.

I'll get some more updates up in due course

shnazzle

Wow. Hell of a story! 
Hope your ticker is doing a bit better now. Certainly looks like the stent did its job
...neutiquam erro.

tets

It's all just set me back time wise but we will get there!

Tickers great thanks - I didn't even know i'd had the heart attack until the next day but yes it definitely did!!

s12vea

TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

tets

and the difference in the 2 front bays

There's so much more rust on the turbo car - same underneath!

Gaz2405

It may just be figures quoted etc and the difference between whp and bhp not being treated the same, but I see a lot of US spyder making 200 whp on just 6-7psi.

There's a red one on YouTube at the moment making 217whp at 7psi, hakosan I think his username is. Standard mwr kit with intercooler as far as I can see.

I'm at 198bhp at the wheels, and to be honest wouldn't want much more for b road blasting.

Great to see another turbo build, perhaps sort a club rolling road day in the future?
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

tets

Quote from: Gaz2405 on September 29, 2019, 16:43It may just be figures quoted etc and the difference between whp and bhp not being treated the same, but I see a lot of US spyder making 200 whp on just 6-7psi.

There's a red one on YouTube at the moment making 217whp at 7psi, hakosan I think his username is. Standard mwr kit with intercooler as far as I can see.

I'm at 198bhp at the wheels, and to be honest wouldn't want much more for b road blasting.

Great to see another turbo build, perhaps sort a club rolling road day in the future?

I do take some of these figures with a pinch of salt at times - 192whp from this kit with standard  ecu and rising fuel pressure regulator with no extra cooling seems way too high - possibly 160 at the wheels at best!

I still need to race the car in standard class n/a so the turbo will take a while - possibly the end of next season when I swap it all over.

I bought this car so cheap i'm planning on keeping it that way (for the time being).

I also picked up a JDM box with LSD a while ago so that will go on when I make the swap.

That gives me a year to pick up braces, roll bars, coilovers (XYZ's are the top of my list at the minute), test 17" rims then decide on 1b tyres + possibly add a front to the cage and get lighter seats - you get the picture

tets

Had a couple of hours this aft swapping things over - should be back running next time I get to the unit!

tets

So i finally got the car out of the unit last night and took it to work today - what a difference!

Apart from the TTE springs and low mileage shocks all the replacement parts are standard but new - drop links front and rear, anti roll bar bushes, control arms, track rod ends and also a facelift front lower brace!

It almost feels like a new car and i've not had the geo done yet, I did a best educated guess - there's a roundabout on the way home with a hole you can't avoid half way round. It used to skip and jump when I hit it but not now - it just didn't bother it at all!! Also, no creaks, bangs, knocks etc etc

I know this is a hillclimb car but it does have to be completely standard mechanically (until I swap the turbo in and then i will polybush, coilover, every brace known to man etc and move up a class)

So the morale to the story is if you want your car to feel very very refreshed without polybushing and coilovers just replace everything as new! It's night and day

Gatouzze

Nice one mate!

I thought the bushes couldn't be bought individually... did you installed new arms?

tets

I did Gaetan, new Yaris arms and then all the other bits - I'll do the door bushings next! Still not sure how much difference they'll make as I have the rear cage but we'll see!!

Ardent

Nice. thumbs up emoji if we had one.

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on February 25, 2020, 22:10Nice. thumbs up emoji if we had one.

As "someone"  sometimes says " Here to help"

👍 or for the continental membership 👌

cptspaulding

Quote from: tets on October 20, 2019, 15:59

Had a couple of hours this aft swapping things over - should be back running next time I get to the unit!

Ah, garage envy.

Glad to see you've been mended yourself.

& er, yeah, garage envy...
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

tets

Ah, garage envy.

[/quote]

Cheers but the problem is it's not big enough - I have the cars in but can't fit my camper or trailer in!! Looking at a bigger unit at the minute but it's a bit costly!!

Joesson

Quote from: tets on February 26, 2020, 16:16Ah, garage envy.

Cheers but the problem is it's not big enough - I have the cars in but can't fit my camper or trailer in!! Looking at a bigger unit at the minute but it's a bit costly!!
[/quote]

Costly also would be a car lift (or two) but would be a resalable asset rather than additional rental,  here is a review of pros and cons of two and four post lifts.

https://procarreviews.com/best-car-lift/

tets

Costly also would be a car lift (or two) but would be a resalable asset rather than additional rental,  here is a review of pros and cons of two and four post lifts.

https://procarreviews.com/best-car-lift/

[/quote]

I'd love one but unfortunately there is a dog leg in the entrance that ensures neither will fit in. If I can get a bigger unit i'll get one anyway as i'm sick of crawling round on the floor!!

Mark A

How much was the JP half cage?

tets

Quote from: Mark A on February 26, 2020, 19:25How much was the JP half cage?
I think it was £450 fitted from the top of my head - I did get a bit of a deal as he used it to make the jig!

tets

So with the season all but cancelled I'm now toying with the idea of doing the turbo swap early! I just need a couple of bits if I can get them.

I printed the PE turbo installation guide from the reference section to check the previous owner did it correctly when I refit it.

Even though i've just serviced it i reckon i'll need a new oil filter so I can fit the oil cooler and some new plugs.
In theory everything else should be ok to just swap over.

I just need to suss the fueling out as it has a modified fuel rail with a return which is leaking. Carolyn sent me a new o ring so if it is just that i'll keep it otherwise and stick with the stock one which the original kit used.

I also need a wideband and boost gauge and might aswell fit an oil pressure gauge while i'm fannying about in there!

Akayfortyseven

Car looks great - do you happen to have the part numbers for the Yaris wishbones?

tets

I've started doing the inventory based on the install guide and what I see in the pics I have.

i need a few more bits than I expected, some of which I seem to be able to get but it gives me enough to get going with.

I do have a question for the turbo guys - what (if anything) have you done with fueling, specifically the pump / regulator?
The kit I have removes the existing pressure regulator, from in the fuel pump, replaces it with with a replacement unknown part (as it doesn't seem to have a spec) other than it's a rising rate one - and the install looks like this from above

Now my kit has this

I read back through @Essex2Visuvesi original build and can't find reference to the fueling.

Also I need to fabricate a brace as they had problems with the manifolds cracking but any old pics of them have long since gone - long shot but don't suppose @loadswine still has any pics of Perry's brace - the ones you posted are no longer showing?

I need to get to the unit and strip the interior to have a look in the tank but I don't think it will be classed as essential travel at the minute.

More to follow -

thetyrant

Looks like good progress.

Fuel reg/pump wise what are your plan for engine management and injectors etc ?  these will determine what you need to do, ideally you want a proper ecu or at least a good piggyback, stock injectors will not make a lot of power unless you up the fuel pressure and make a return fuel rail system to do so, stock fuel rail is a returnless system so as you add boost fuel pressure doesnt rise like you get with a return setup and regulator, reading again sounds like maybe you have a return fuel rail ?

Ive messed about with unknown fuel regulators before on other cars and never again, nearly cost me an engine!  best to use a proper setup as fueling is one of the most critical things!
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Tags: