Hillclimb and Turbo car (s)

Started by tets, September 29, 2019, 12:00

tets

a bit more progress this weekend. Got more bits on and it's beginning to look like an engine bay again

tets

got a couple of hours in this morning as yesterdays plans were written off. A "quick trip" to the garden centre turned out to be half the day after the M60 was closed for 6 hours!

New brakes had arrived but today was only to get the sump bolts loose and measure up the pipes for the turbo, oil pressure and AFR gauges.

New brakes and super light exhaust below!!

tets

no update for a bit but the sumps on, oil feed and drain sorted, sandwich plate on and measured up for the oil cooler. Oil temp and pressure senders in.
Colder plugs sorted and gear selectors back on and starter motor back on. Just the fuel system to do before start up!

Just ordered a set of Tein Superstreets with electronic damping control on a whim!! we'll see how that goes but it was a price I couldn't pass up. Not sure 4 / 6 springs are stiff enough but i'd say they'll be better than the standard struts with TTE springs!

Back at the unit Sunday.....

Alex Knight

Quote from: tets on April 25, 2021, 14:03New brakes and super light exhaust below!!

Erm, that's a caravan.

Alex Knight

Quote from: tets on June 10, 2021, 20:08Just ordered a set of Tein Superstreets with electronic damping control on a whim!! we'll see how that goes but it was a price I couldn't pass up. Not sure 4 / 6 springs are stiff enough but i'd say they'll be better than the standard struts with TTE springs!

I have this setup, and I really rate it.

Are they new or used?
I thought SuperStreet were out of production?

tets

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 10, 2021, 23:38
Quote from: tets on April 25, 2021, 14:03New brakes and super light exhaust below!!

Erm, that's a caravan.
thats really weird - something odd went on when I was uploading them but no idea where they came from - I don't even have a caravan!! haha

tets

Quote from: Alex Knight on June 10, 2021, 23:39
Quote from: tets on June 10, 2021, 20:08Just ordered a set of Tein Superstreets with electronic damping control on a whim!! we'll see how that goes but it was a price I couldn't pass up. Not sure 4 / 6 springs are stiff enough but i'd say they'll be better than the standard struts with TTE springs!

Are they new or used?

They are second hand but look new!! See if this pic works

Roj

Quote from: tets on June 11, 2021, 05:43
Quote from: Alex Knight on June 10, 2021, 23:39

Are they new or used?

They are second hand but look new!! See if this pic works

That's a good find!

tets

not really updated as I don't have a lot to update! The jobs gone mad and Autumn being peak season plus black Friday and Christmas i've not had a lot of time!!
However done a few bits!
Bit of cooling / heat shield, rear bar and a couple of new bits!
You cannot view this attachment.

jvanzyl

I like that rear crash bar... will you mount an inter cooler in the other gap? Don't know if it makes more sense to have the air on the left and the oil on the right...

Any plans for a deflector  plate to divert air up to the coolers? Could totally mount some fans on them to pull air through- would look funky from the rear.

tets

the PE kit isn't designed for any cooling but if I do it would be charge cooled so the oil cooler can stay there. Plus i've fitted it so I can cut the vented bits in the bumper so the air's got a clean exit - Depending on whether I can get away with it (MSUK regs wise) i fancy welding some more vents in the lid with a scoop to the air filter and oil cooler from the top.

Once i've got some miles on it no doubt i'll look at it again. I keep thinking of new things as i'm going along!
Big change (albeit so simple) is bending the spare wheel screw, welding it to the crash bar so I can use a nut on it and use it as the exhaust hanger. Been pissed off and spent so much time trying to get exhaust rubbers off but not anymore!!

tets

Well I never realised it's been 2 years!

I ended up working away for a year and then opening a new 250k sq/ft shed and launching Lacoste's first UKDC so literally had the odd Sunday doing a few bits.

So I'm back home and back in the unit on a weekend! My MSUK licence has arrived and I'm entered in the LMDC Speed Championship and ANWCC hillclimb and sprint Championship.

To the car....

I've nearly got the gauges and interior stuff done - just need to cut into the ignition live for the cut off switch - Can anyone confirm this is the black and yellow wire as info is a bit scarce?

Also, I think my oil pressure gauge might be knackered - it's only showing 2v and not lighting up but not sure if it's cause I've not fired the engine!

Next up carpets back in (make it as road car as poss for the regs) and seats etc.

Got some new handbrake cables (same length so assuming aftermarket) but after disconnecting the ones on the car they seem free even though it was dog sh*t when I last drove it. Now I've redone the brakes I might give them another go with the handbrake dance before I change them. I do have the luxury of being able to re position them if needed.

Got the frame made for the tank and battery in the frunk - I only had green paint (no idea why) so green it went! It fits like a glove so next job is mount the fuel pump and filter underneath and fit the tank straps and find or build a battery tray (that battery is only for test as a light one is incoming)
Ended up buying an intercooler which is going where the newly acquired massive hole is under the car - I need to fab a frame to fit it in and do some ducting / gap filling (start of a flat floor)

Got a new set of Rota Slip's with an offset of 28 which should fill the arches and got on (don't laugh) Accelera's driver programme and with the discount a set of 100 tread-ware semi slicks for not much over 200 quid - they may be absolute garbage but on a 1km hill I'm hoping they at least warm up (ish) If not I'll go back to plan A with a proven tyre.

Also got a set of PFL rims with Rainsports for the inevitable wet days!

Got the Tein EDFC wired but it's showing an error on the fronts and doesn't seem to be adjusting - no idea why and it was Sunday afternoon when I found it and was nearly beer o-clock so packed up and went home!

I've probably done more (forgot braided fuel lines) but I'll try and be a bit more up to date this year!

jvanzyl

That is an epic update..
do you have edfc 1 or 2 . I can look up the errors if it's 2.

tets

Quote from: jvanzyl on February 29, 2024, 21:07That is an epic update..
do you have edfc 1 or 2 . I can look up the errors if it's 2.

I think it's edfc 1 - the controller is in pic 1. It says 12 on the rears which seems correct and EE on the front which doesn't. I'll check the connectors tomorrow.

One thing to note is when the tank is out the lack of anything joining the floor and rear crossmember is startling - my intercooler brace will join them together (I'll make a brace like thing) but has anybody explored this?

tets

Had another few hours today,

Got the return fuel line in, fuel filter and pump fitted, battery tray base fitted and started the new intercooler pipework

Need to tidy a few bits and space the fuel filter as the line is too tight on the crossmember but another step forward!

tets

had another few hours this weekend which was fiddly and time consuming.

Bled the clutch - don't even attempt it without a compressor and one of those bleed kits! Anyway, I have a pedal
Fastened the ducktail on using the bolts and some big spacers underneath which worked a treat.
Got the bonnet pins drilled and in - horrible job drilling the bonnet wondering if you've measured right but fortunately I had!
Today was the big one - fabbing the frame for the intercooler - my welding isn't what it was so need more practice before I weld it up but it's tacked and fits like a glove - need to duct the air diffuser style but if my thoughts are correct it should work a treat!
Plenty of room for the hot air to escape under the engine.
Any observations / comments welcome and if anyones done it before I'd be really interested to hear the results.

Also got my entry confirmed for Barbon Hillclimb in June so there's a deadline - plus I'm in Monaco for 2 weeks in May for the GP so need the MOT, Dyno and alignment done well before then

Joesson

@tets said:

Bled the clutch - don't even attempt it without a compressor and one of those bleed kits!

Why this should be the case I do not know but I used the same, low cost item, to single handedly bleed the clutch as I used to bleed the brakes on my 2.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391971960746

jvanzyl

Nice idea to use the space... curious to think about the aerodynamic effect of a void under the car.
I suppose ideally you want the air to rush in and out somehow. Just a thought, but if you moved the intercooler to the middle of the void (looking at it from the side) and then made one of those things that you see on front of the car radiators that would direct/duct air flow through the radiator and then provided a channel for it to exit it might help?

tets

I'm planning on flat flooring the void with the exception of the intercooler where I'll create a "diffuser" style duct with sides (if you get my thinking) that will duct air in and then out round the sump area. I figured if it was further forward the diffuser would have too much of an angle to direct air efficiently.

I'm a bit of an outside the box thinker and if it's a bunch of cr4p I'll charge cool it.
For the sake of 25 quid and a few pipes (and being a tight Yorkshireman) I've got to give it a go.

I've also reached out to my old printing colleagues for used litho printing plates as they are light, aluminium and perfect for a flat floor! We used to use them as trim tabs (filled with expanding foam) on single seaters

Tags: