Engine removal hints andl tips?

Started by JB21, October 9, 2019, 12:42

JB21

I'm still confused. Surly I dont need to use sealant all the way around where the black lines are, that's where all the gaskets fit.

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on November 20, 2019, 17:12I'm still confused. Surly I dont need to use sealant all the way around where the black lines are, that's where all the gaskets fit.
What gaskets?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on November 20, 2019, 17:23
Quote from: JB21 on November 20, 2019, 17:12I'm still confused. Surly I dont need to use sealant all the way around where the black lines are, that's where all the gaskets fit.
What gaskets?

Timing cover and water pump gaskets

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on November 20, 2019, 17:24
What gaskets?

You have gaskets?  On a 1zz it's purely metal to metal.... 

Carolyn

What gaskets?

Were there gaskets present when you took the cover off?

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on November 20, 2019, 17:29
What gaskets?

Were there gaskets present when you took the cover off?

Indeed. I've just purchased new ones from Toyota. I'm now guessing those instructions are for the 1ZZ.

Carolyn

No.  That's definitely not a 1zz in your picture.

Actually..... it could be..... 

JB21

Items 2 and 3 in the picture

You cannot view this attachment.

Carolyn

Just checked my records.  That diagram is for the 1ZZ.  Ignore me, please.

househead

It sure should be for the 1zz, it came from Toyota and is from the service manual for the FL mk3 :D

Edit, sorry thought you were referring to the first diagram, not the more recent one.

Ignore me too :D
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Call the midlife!

I think the confusion lies in that the diagram with the dimensions and location for sealant relates to the 1zz engine whereas the gasket belongs on the 2zz engine. So depending which one you're currently rebuilding...
60% of the time it works everytime...

JB21

Cleaned up and swapped over the cams, rockers, rocker shafts and cam caps from the low mileage blown 2zz to the higher mileage replacement. Also gave the head a clean up whilst everything was out.

From this..

To this..

I then cleaned up the timing side, ready for the new chain, guides, tensioner, crank cog and gaskets.

Call the midlife!

Nice and clean that, have you been able to get away with putting the cams etc in the different head and still maintain decent valve lash clearances?

JB21

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 25, 2019, 21:13Nice and clean that, have you been able to get away with putting the cams etc in the different head and still maintain decent valve lash clearances?

Just picked up a set of feeler gauges to see.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: JB21 on November 25, 2019, 21:25
Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 25, 2019, 21:13Nice and clean that, have you been able to get away with putting the cams etc in the different head and still maintain decent valve lash clearances?

It's easier with two sets, trust me 😂. I've got two sets but split them up and just keep the most used ones in a separate plastic bag, saves having to constantly fiddle around to make up the sizes.

JB21

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 25, 2019, 22:38

It's easier with two sets, trust me 😂. I've got two sets but split them up and just keep the most used ones in a separate plastic bag, saves having to constantly fiddle around to make up the sizes.

Quick question on rotating the cams currently set in timing position with the chain off. Presume I just need to rotate each individual cam 180 degrees to get the pair of readings along the cam with no need to rotate the crank which is set current at No1 cylinder TDC?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: JB21 on November 25, 2019, 22:48

Quick question on rotating the cams currently set in timing position with the chain off. Presume I just need to rotate each individual cam 180 degrees to get the pair of readings along the cam with no need to rotate the crank which is set current at No1 cylinder TDC?
That's correct, until you put the chain on you can turn the cams at will to set the optimum positions for checking the gaps. I'd rotate the crank to put the pistons in a "safe" position before turning the cams though, make sure you've got clearance for the valves when you open them.

JB21

Quote from: Call the midlife! on November 26, 2019, 07:02
Quote from: JB21 on November 25, 2019, 22:48

That's correct, until you put the chain on you can turn the cams at will to set the optimum positions for checking the gaps. I'd rotate the crank to put the pistons in a "safe" position before turning the cams though, make sure you've got clearance for the valves when you open them.

Exactly what I was thinking mate. Just a quarter turn should suffice I think just to lower the pistons in cylinder 1 and 4?

JB21

Oh dear,look at the state of the billet (if they are actually billet from Rogue?) gearset from the blown 2zz.

It wasn't moving freely at all when I pulled it, in fact it was partly seized.

I'm presuming the shards from the blown bottom end has caused the scoring.

Anyway I've opened up the other pump and the gearset seems fine and rotates smoothly so I've cleaned it up and I'm going to use that on the replacment engine.

Tags: