Kicks in above 4000rpm

Started by ponytrekker, October 22, 2019, 19:43

ponytrekker

Is it normal for the MR2 to 'take off' above 4000rpm (it performs well enough below, but goes into hyperdrive above!!)? The engine light is on and a friend checked and suspected injectors. Is there a way of definitely establishing that? Are they difficult to get at?

jonbill

You get a little kick from the vvt above 4000, that's normal.
You need to get a code reader and find out why the eml light is on. It'll be somdthing else. Probably a fault with an o2 sensor.

Ardent

Quote from: ponytrekker on October 22, 2019, 19:43Is it normal for the MR2 to 'take off' above 4000rpm (it performs well enough below, but goes into hyperdrive above!!)? The engine light is on and a friend checked and suspected injectors. Is there a way of definitely establishing that? Are they difficult to get at?
What and how did your friend check?
What is the code?

Get the code, and we can advise.
As jb above, get your own code reader. First time you use it, it will have paid for itself.

Joesson

As the two answers above the "take off" is a normal characteristic of the variable valve timing and nothing to worry about., but get a code reader to check whats what.
My money is on an O2 sensor for the eml, any one of three, but my money would be on the passenger side ( assuming RHD vehicle) one on the exhaust manifold. The two on the manifold are not difficult to get at but will require a "special" slotted  socket spanner to remove and refit. The final sensor is again on the passenger side very near the exhaust tip. That is more fiddly to get at.
All DIY able with the aid of Plus Gas release fluid.

ponytrekker

Many thanks - I am taking it in for a service tomorrow and I shall get the codes from my garage and report back (50 years ago I was happy to crawl about repairing my own vehicles - these days I am a bit too stiff!).

Ardent

Please tell me the garage will give you the code for free.

Even if they do, still get your own reader, either a reader or bluetooth dongle and torque pro. Cheap and worth every penny.

Ardent

As above, I will also wager a virtual beverage of choice. It'll be one of the O2 sensors, and probably the heated circuit.

ponytrekker

I shall be happy to stand you a virtual mug of your chosen beverage :D  :D

shnazzle

Its the shape of the torque curve that makes you feel that.
60mph in 4th, rev-match drop to 3rd and foot down all the way to 6800 or so. Thing of beauty. So that's a drop to 3rd while already at 4000ish rpm. A lot of people shy away from this but that's where the torque is highest, so that's where all the fun is.
Engine is also by far the most responsive at 4k+ rpm (again, torque curve shape). Also adding to that "hyperdrive" feel. Try it. Drive at 3k rpm in 3rd and put your foot down. Now go to 4k rpm hold it, and put your foot down. Instant jolt and push in the back. It'll sound uncomfortable to some, but the car doesn't redline until 7k.

Vvti is active all through the rev range at varying degrees,it's mostly just used for efficiency at lower loads.
You cannot view this attachment.
...neutiquam erro.

ponytrekker

It certainly adds to the fun!!!

Ardent

Did you get your code read?

ponytrekker

Don't know yet - they have kept him in for observation (only kidding - needed new rear calipers - arriving tomorrow)!

Ardent

Calipers not working and stopping the car or hand brake not holding?

ponytrekker

Handbrake not holding (or only just!!) I was expecting they would be a problem. Spot on with the codes!!! P0135 and P0155 - O2 sensors and 125H/293 - undocumented - which they reckon would probably disappear when the others are done. Are there any club recommended suppliers that do a good price?

Carolyn

So why do they think you need new calipers?

Could be cables, could be lack of correct adjustment method, could be sticky sliders.

You garage might be honest, but I'm sceptical that they know what to do with Roadster's handbrake.

There's better guidance to be had from this club.

Sparkplugs UK are as competitive as any for sensors.  Make sure you get genuine Denso ones.  Others do not last.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

cptspaulding

Quote from: ponytrekker on October 24, 2019, 11:08Handbrake not holding (or only just!!) I was expecting they would be a problem. Spot on with the codes!!! P0135 and P0155 - O2 sensors and 125H/293 - undocumented - which they reckon would probably disappear when the others are done. Are there any club recommended suppliers that do a good price?

Most (rightly) recommend getting genuine Denso sensors. Sparkplugs.co.uk were cheapest last time I looked but shop around. Pretty sure you need the 0204 for the 135, 155 codes.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Ardent

Quote from: ponytrekker on October 24, 2019, 11:08Handbrake not holding (or only just!!) I was expecting they would be a problem. Spot on with the codes!!! P0135 and P0155 - O2 sensors and 125H/293 - undocumented - which they reckon would probably disappear when the others are done. Are there any club recommended suppliers that do a good price?
Intrigued as to the 125H/293.
Not seen that on here before.

Ardent

Sensors
Sparkplugs.co.uk solid and reliable.
Amazon can be a good source. Depending when you look.
Dox0204 pre cat. Dox0206 post cat.

paulj

your garage are going to get some work out of you changing  the sensors, which is good for everyone. Before they rush headlong into the calipers it might just be an adjustment issue. Get them to follow https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=9783.0 before ordering parts. It might save you money. I do the handbrake work a couple of times a year on my car to keep it working
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

ponytrekker

Quote from: Ardent on October 24, 2019, 18:32Sensors
Sparkplugs.co.uk solid and reliable.
Amazon can be a good source. Depending when you look.
Dox0204 pre cat. Dox0206 post cat.

Cheers - does that translate (for a novice like me) as Lambda front and rear? And the production years seem to be back to front 04 - 2000? Dox 0204 and 0206 or the universal  0109? for both positions?

Ardent

The dox 0204 are the sensors that sit in the manifold and have short leads.
The dox0206 is essentially the same sensor but with a longer lead and sits after the catalytic converter.

shnazzle

The 109 comes with a long lead that you can fit to required length, and the required crimping connectors and instructions. 
If you have a cable crimping tool, it saves half the price for 10 minutes of "effort"
...neutiquam erro.

ponytrekker

Thanks for the sensor info. Yes - that handbrake is better but still a problem waiting to stretch a bit more!! The garage has replaced and adjusted to the max the main cable. They wondered if the short linking cable might have stretched? They couldn't source one. Is it likely? And where could I get one?

mr2garageswindon

Err the main cable? The only adjustment is in the short cable. Did they replace a cable? If so which one?
They have to drop the tank to replace rear cables so you would do both while the tank is out... they are different lengths too.
I suspect it is not correctly adjusted and the handbrake levers on the calipers will not be against the stop? If this is the case the brake will be crap.

Carolyn

You've got the wrong mechanic, mate.  They're spending your money without knowing what they're doing.

The method:

slacken the cables until they are absolutely floppy.

Start the engine.

Press the brake pedal slowly and firmly twenty times.

Adjust the cables back to six clicks.

If the calipers and [pads have been installed correctly, that will set the handbrake.

However, there are do's and dont's to installing the calipers and pads....

I've seen this handbrake dance with a newbie's mechanic more times than you want to know.....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: