Extortionate flywheel bolt cost

Started by JB21, October 25, 2019, 14:23

JB21

£87 for a set of 8 from Toyota or £55 for a set of 8 from ARP  >:(

Anyone know of an cheaper alternative?

Carolyn

I've got a few good used ones.  Small donation to the club.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JB21

Quote from: Carolyn on October 25, 2019, 14:44I've got a few good used ones.  Small donation to the club.

Appreciate the offer but they're single use stretche bolts so not worth the risk shearing one in the crank.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: JB21 on October 25, 2019, 17:05
Quote from: Carolyn on October 25, 2019, 14:44I've got a few good used ones.  Small donation to the club.

Appreciate the offer but they're single use stretche bolts so not worth the risk shearing one in the crank.
Sadly, working on your same logic, if you want new ones you're going to reach deep down into your pocket and pay the prices you've been quoted.

I used ARP on my rebuild for that reason and I've had the flywheel off again since. 
For peace of mind pay for the genuine Toyota or ARP, try TCB, Paul is usually cheaper than Mr T but you might have to wait.
60% of the time it works everytime...

jonbill

Quote from: JB21 on October 25, 2019, 17:05

Are you sure about that?
I can't find that in the Toyota manual.
In fact it says: "if any of the mounting bolts is broken or deformed, replace it" and "if any one of the mounting bolts does not meet the torque specification, replace the mounting bolt"
Both of which sound like they were assuming reuse.
I've reused on two engines without problems. And all the other critical bolts in the 1zz are reusable.
Anyway £55 is pretty reasonable I think for a set of ARP bolts.

Tags: