Forced induction; the aternative

Started by Petrus, November 22, 2019, 11:24

Petrus

Compressor, rotrex, turbo and....
TorqAmp!!

Although the electric blower idea has been about a lóng time, there has not been any capable of creating useful boost.
Now there is.
A few Dutch blokes have worked out a really functional electric turbo.
It seems the ideal solution for the MR2 Spyder.

Carolyn

Quote from: Petrus on November 22, 2019, 11:24Compressor, rotrex, turbo and....
TorqAmp!!

Although the electric blower idea has been about a lóng time, there has not been any capable of creating useful boost.
Now there is.

If it doesn't require an extra battery and a much bigger alternator, it's pants.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Its an interesting idea but a waste of money imo at the moment as battery tech just isnt there, reading their FAQ you get 4minutes of boosting then it needs to cool down for at least 2minutes before you can go again, providing battery has charged up as well, i cant think of anything other than a dyno or drag run that would be useful for.

Also price is crazy, approx £2k for the kit then you need a aftermarket ecu to tune it properly so your over £3k in and for a few minutes of boost at a time, no thanks :D

There is a reason everyone isnt fitting these and thats because it has a very very limited market....as Peter would say on dragons den.....im out :D
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on November 22, 2019, 11:53
Quote from: Petrus on November 22, 2019, 11:24Compressor, rotrex, turbo and....
TorqAmp!!

Now there is.

If it doesn't require an extra battery and a much bigger alternator, it's pants.

True:

1. It has a 48V subsystem with LiFe battery.

2. The alternator argument stands. I cannot see how the auxiliary power pack can be kept charged unless it is used for occasional boost like an NOx system.

thetyrant

Looking further down the FAQ it says approx 10seconds of charging for every 1 second of boosting, so if you got 4minutes of boost thats 240 seconds x10 = 2400seconds to charge back up,  which is 40minutes!...hmm i wonder how many they have sold :)
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

jvanzyl

I like the scenario of "occasional boost" - it's a bit like the system on the CRZ...but it would need to be cost effective..

It'd fit well with the commute style driver..

Petrus

Quote from: thetyrant on November 22, 2019, 12:02Its an interesting idea but a waste of money imo at the moment as battery tech just isnt there, reading their FAQ you get 4minutes of boosting then it needs to cool down for at least 2minutes before you can go again, providing battery has charged up as well, i cant think of anything other than a dyno or drag run that would be useful for.

Also price is crazy, approx £2k for the kit then you need a aftermarket ecu to tune it properly so your over £3k in and for a few minutes of boost at a time, no thanks :D

There is a reason everyone isnt fitting these and thats because it has a very very limited market....as Peter would say on dragons den.....im out :D

No disagreement from me.

The importance is though that technology is just about getting there.

I´ve been looking at electric RC airplane tech for decennia now and the evolution is simply awesome.
The brushless enclosed ´jet´ fans are crazy efficient and easily move more air than the 1ZZ-FE at an energy use the stock alternator can easily provide. The only snag is that the thrust they deliver is not pressure that can be used as boost like the centrifugal fan/turbo can.
The tech ís getting there though.

At the side of energy recuperation the tech is getting there too and it is easy to see this electric turbo applied in a hybrid car.

Back to the TorqAmp I think they are on to something.

For mé though, I would like the power to be there under  the pedal all the time even if I use it only occosionally.
I have had a butane boost system in my turbodiesel for nearly a decade and as fun as it was, it did not affect the general driving unlike a TRD compressor or TTE turbo.

Gaz2405

1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Petrus

shnazzle

...neutiquam erro.

Gaz2405

To be fair was was surprised at how much boost it actually made.

As the tech gets better, I'm sure we'll see something in the bear future.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

Topdownman

That was an interesting watch. They didnt go into much detail about how it would work in day to day use but maybe there is a future for this type of mod after all.

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Carolyn

Sounds like a lot of kit, and weight and work, to do what a direct drive belt can do.

However you do it, the energy required to spin a supercharger comes out of the rest of the system.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Anyone reckon you could transplant a Honda ima system across? What is it, a beefy starter and a rechargeable battery? 😬😂

MR2Bart1991

Nobody here that actually has the Torqueamp on an mr2? Instant torque down low definetly looks nice.

Petrus

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 16, 2020, 18:32Nobody here that actually has the Torqueamp on an mr2? Instant torque down low definetly looks nice.

That is why I looked into it. Three snags:
1. it´s like NOS temporary boost only
2. needs a hefty power pack
3. needs a piggy back e-box
Bottom line is a none too cheap solution with limited added value.
Imo the only thing speaking fór it is ease of install.

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 19:06
Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 16, 2020, 18:32Nobody here that actually has the Torqueamp on an mr2? Instant torque down low definetly looks nice.

That is why I looked into it. Three snags:
1. it´s like NOS temporary boost only
2. needs a hefty power pack
3. needs a piggy back e-box
Bottom line is a none too cheap solution with limited added value.
Imo the only thing speaking fór it is ease of install.

Well yeah ease of install on the mr2 and every other car you could possibly have after, i also don't think you can find a cheaper turbo kit(new) the TTE turbo was almost double the price for around the same advertised power..(i know it had higher potential)

i agree the kit would not be ideal on track but according to reviews you cant drain the battery on the street(you wouldent go full throttle for that long of a duration)

I realise this thing is still pretty much a gimmick though but still would have a very nice acceleration boost.

Petrus

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 16, 2020, 19:33i agree the kit would not be ideal on track but according to reviews you cant drain the battery on the street(you wouldent go full throttle for that long of a duration)

Because it is NOS application mode and as such véry limited. It´s a circular argument and if you stop to think the battery being up to it prooves the limited use.

It cán be a better proposition if accompanied by a throttle/revs related power feed to it; the way Audi has done. It would thus be a proper zero lag turbo.

The way it is, NOS is cheaper, lighter and more easy to install still.

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 19:56
Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 16, 2020, 19:33i agree the kit would not be ideal on track but according to reviews you cant drain the battery on the street(you wouldent go full throttle for that long of a duration)

Because it is NOS application mode and as such véry limited. It´s a circular argument and if you stop to think the battery being up to it prooves the limited use.

It cán be a better proposition if accompanied by a throttle/revs related power feed to it; the way Audi has done. It would thus be a proper zero lag turbo.

The way it is, NOS is cheaper, lighter and more easy to install still.

I don't know if you know the phantom electric turbo which is similar to this and started its development on the fr's/gt86/brz platform I remember that they had something like a 3 way throttle position underneath the accelerator pedal which increased boost the more you pressed the it and that worked really well (according to all the test persons) So making the torqueamp do, this wouldn't be that hard, still I just would be really interested in the results the torqueamp would have on a mr2 :p

Petrus

Imo it would be ´only´ a matter of the electronic programming to get instant extra torque with way less thermal load than an exhaust turbo.
I think the MR2 is an ideal prospect; stuff it between MAF and throttle body, stick in yellow injectors and then.... reprogramming the motormanagement  :o

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 20:58Imo it would be ´only´ a matter of the electronic programming to get instant extra torque with way less thermal load than an exhaust turbo.
I think the MR2 is an ideal prospect; stuff it between MAF and throttle body, stick in yellow injectors and then.... reprogramming the motormanagement  :o

That definetly looks like a better solution that way, i just hope someone would try this even if it all just is for knowledge of more options that benefits this platform :p

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 20:58Imo it would be ´only´ a matter of the electronic programming to get instant extra torque with way less thermal load than an exhaust turbo.
That would be the absolute worst place to put said device as you're injecting tons of air after it has measured it... Kaboom. 

So either piggyback and before MAF or standalone and, well, then there would be no MAF :)
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May 16, 2020, 22:43That would be the absolute worst place to put said device as you're injecting tons of air after it has measured it... Kaboom.

Oh no, sucking in all through MAF, no extra air coming from nowhere. Same as TTE turbo, just not with the in that layout neccessary detour. All the air is measured by the MAF.

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 23:24
Quote from: shnazzle on May 16, 2020, 22:43That would be the absolute worst place to put said device as you're injecting tons of air after it has measured it... Kaboom.

Oh no, sucking in all through MAF, no extra air coming from nowhere. Same as TTE turbo, just not with the in that layout neccessary detour. All the air is measured by the MAF.
Err, no not quite but anyway, off topic. 

Tbh the more I think of the application in the MR2, the more attractive it seems. For that quick overtake on the motorway a 4 second boost would really help.
Then chances are your next overtake is a few minutes away anyway. Quite good actually for how little hassle it is to install. No cooling needed or anything as it's such a short duration and chances are that depending on what power it can output, you can plumb it in pre-maf and the stock ECU would compensate nicely.

Hmm.
...neutiquam erro.

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: shnazzle on May 16, 2020, 23:32
Quote from: Petrus on May 16, 2020, 23:24

Err, no not quite but anyway, off topic.

Tbh the more I think of the application in the MR2, the more attractive it seems. For that quick overtake on the motorway a 4 second boost would really help.
Then chances are your next overtake is a few minutes away anyway. Quite good actually for how little hassle it is to install. No cooling needed or anything as it's such a short duration and chances are that depending on what power it can output, you can plumb it in pre-maf and the stock ECU would compensate nicely.

Hmm.

The battery will boost for about four minutes, according to the website, though sometimes it gets hot after two. TorqAmp says one second of boosting needs about 10 seconds of charging.

Saying that you wont go full throttle for 2-4min at a time on a public road and whenever you stop full throttle it will start to recharge.

Tags: