Ride Height ... Low, but maybe not this low

Started by househead, December 2, 2019, 15:13

househead

So I think I've come to the conclusion that my ride height is probably too low (especially given the area I live in, SE London). I'm scraping on the nasty-designed narrow speed humps quite regularly (the wider ones are fine).

Currently on KYB (OEM?) shocks with the green Tein springs. I believe this is 30mm lowered front and back. I'd like to retain a lower-than-stock height, but I feel like raising it a little bit would probably alleviate my problem.

The shocks and springs are <10k miles old, so it would be shame to replace any or both, but I can't feel confident in the car when I turn down residential streets and see speed humps. Strangely they seem to have got worse, I wonder if this is because they've bedded in and the springs are now a bit softer after some use.

What are my options for a reasonably low ride but maybe another 5-10mm of height?

P.S. I checked my tire pressures recently and they had dropped a bit. Topped them up but I'm still getting more scrapes than I'd like.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Topdownman

You will have to consider coilovers I suppose. That way you can adjust the height until you just stop scrapping and you can soften/stiffen the damping too for more options.

They are easy enough to adjust when new (not so after a while once the alloy welds itself together though)

Either that or back to standard springs!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Teins are quite low. I believe closer to 40 in effect than 30 to be honest. 
Having seem @stewart@boro on Teins for years, I can tell you he was either scraping or about 1cm from scraping at all times whenever we were on drives.
It's not so much the height but the fact that the springs are almost as soft as stock. Obviously the dampers are as well. 

I remember on Helen's car on TTE springs and stock struts the same would happen. Every compression; scrape. Every speedbump; scrape. Every big bump; scrape. 

Coilovers at same height don't scrape. But,... You lose tons of compliance and comfort. 

So far the only good solution I've seen to be able to have both is the Koni inserts with TTE/Tein/H&R springs.
...neutiquam erro.

househead

I've looked into the Koni shocks, some places sell them as a set with springs already fitted, which might suit me better being somewhat of a beginner. Price-wise vs coilovers, there's not *that* much in it ... coilovers run around £150-200 more. I don't think I'd want to lose too much comfort to be honest and that, along with having too many settings and things to fiddle with is what's put me off coilovers so far.

Possibly the Koni route is the one I should look to as it does seem like a good middle-ground.

Carolyn

You could just put oem springs on it??
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on December  2, 2019, 15:41You could just put oem springs on it??

How did I know you'd be the one to suggest this? :D

The car looks like it's on stilts to me at stock height.

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on December  2, 2019, 15:40I've looked into the Koni shocks, some places sell them as a set with springs already fitted, which might suit me better being somewhat of a beginner. Price-wise vs coilovers, there's not *that* much in it ... coilovers run around £150-200 more. I don't think I'd want to lose too much comfort to be honest and that, along with having too many settings and things to fiddle with is what's put me off coilovers so far.

Possibly the Koni route is the one I should look to as it does seem like a good middle-ground.
I set my coilovers up when I put them in. Never touched them again other than the occasional twist of the hardness from the trunk/frunk

Konis are the same. Only better quality. Also adjustable
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

What's more important, how it looks or how it goes???

You'd be surprised how soon you'd get used to it.

It's a road car, not an exhibit ;D

househead

Quote from: Carolyn on December  2, 2019, 15:45What's more important, how it looks or how it goes???

You're right, of course! But ... I'd like to think I can somehow have it all  8)

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on December  2, 2019, 15:47
Quote from: Carolyn on December  2, 2019, 15:45What's more important, how it looks or how it goes???

You're right, of course! But ... I'd like to think I can somehow have it all  8)
You can. But it costs.

It's not just spring rate that makes for the bad ride that BCs and MeisterRs give (relative to stock). Particularly the BCs have truly crap bounce and rebound settings. 
You can only change rebound. 

On pricier proper sets you can adjust both. So a bit of saving....
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

I had the same ptoblem with Tein springs. I could not get on with them. The car seemed to settle after a month even lower than original. Went back to stock. It made the car look silly.

In the end i fit H&R springs. These are superb in my eyes. Car sits nice handling good and ride quality is as good as stock. Plus i dont have an issue with speed humps. Removed Matt brace and fit corky centre brace.
🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Topdownman

I think you could also consider eibach springs. I had some on my paseo years ago and really liked them and they really do know their stuff and have a good reputation. I liked the teins because they drop the front more than other brands of spring but that does make your problem worse as its 3 mm lower than all the others at the front. Just going to any other lowering spring would help a bit and would be much cheaper than coilovers.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

shnazzle

Quote from: Topdownman on December  2, 2019, 19:51I think you could also consider eibach springs. I had some on my paseo years ago and really liked them and they really do know their stuff and have a good reputation. I liked the teins because they drop the front more than other brands of spring but that does make your problem worse as its 3 mm lower than all the others at the front. Just going to any other lowering spring would help a bit and would be much cheaper than coilovers.
Eibach = TTE right? 

We had them on our Leon Cupra and they were great. Totally different car though.
...neutiquam erro.

s12vea

Quote from: shnazzle on December  2, 2019, 19:56
Quote from: Topdownman on December  2, 2019, 19:51I think you could also consider eibach springs. I had some on my paseo years ago and really liked them and they really do know their stuff and have a good reputation. I liked the teins because they drop the front more than other brands of spring but that does make your problem worse as its 3 mm lower than all the others at the front. Just going to any other lowering spring would help a bit and would be much cheaper than coilovers.
Eibach = TTE right?

We had them on our Leon Cupra and they were great. Totally different car though.
Yes eibach made the TTE springs
TF204 Blue
Another one won't hurt  .....

james_ly

Coil overs will solve this... But you're trading ride comfort for response. Everything a compromise unfortunately, depends what you want from the car.
MR2 gone<br />GT86

wotugonado

I preferred my coilovers to standard suspension, sure it was a little harsher, nothing I couldnt live with but the car felt more like a sports car should imo, and the tractor ride height of the originals had to go....
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

Sell the Teins and replace with H&R, see how you get on. 
Nothing to lose really
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: mr2noob on December  2, 2019, 22:38I think there were suggestions on one thread I ask a few months ago to take OEM springs and cut parts of the coil off to lower the car exactly by how much you want. Maybe that would work?

I took half a coil off my oem fronts...  Taking coils off also stiffens it up.

househead

So I think probably a good first step would be to swap the Teins for something that lowers the car less but is still sufficiently under stock height so it continues to look somewhat sporty. I can then consider the Konis further down the line.

I did a little research last night into the prices and lowering amounts of each of the springs available. Ignoring the exact pricing for now as it varies quite a lot...

Tein S tech = -1.4" (~35.5mm) front, -1.2" (~30.5mm) rear - 2nd priciest
Eibach Pro/TTE = -30mm Front, -30mm Rear - most expensive
H&R = 2 options -20mm Front+Rear or -30mm Front+Rear - cheapest of these 3 options

Of these 3 options, which would be the stiffest springs? Also @Tomo70 did you fit the 30mm or 20mm option?

Beachbum957

I have Tein springs, and they lower more than advertised.  Ground clearance is an issue as well as reduced travel even with cut bump stops.  If you are constantly bottoming or dragging on speed bumps, etc, raising the car is the only option.  With the Tein, I replaced the front rubber top spring isolator with stacked polyurethane isolators which raised the front about 10mm.  Not much, but it helped.

Still, the best solution for more clearance is OEM springs.  Or you could go to slightly taller tires.

Adding Koni inserts won't change the ride height, but will make the suspension work much better with any spring package

shnazzle

Quote from: Beachbum957 on December  3, 2019, 12:08I have Tein springs, and they lower more than advertised.  Ground clearance is an issue as well as reduced travel even with cut bump stops.  If you are constantly bottoming or dragging on speed bumps, etc, raising the car is the only option.  With the Tein, I replaced the rubber top spring isolator with stacked polyurethane isolators which raised the front about 10mm.  Not much, but it helped.

Still, the best solution for more clearance is OEM springs.  Or you could go to slightly taller tires.

Adding Koni inserts won't change the ride height, but will make the suspension work much better with any spring package
Lesson I think is to avoid the Teins :) 

They are the better spring, but - 35mm in my opinion is too low for the front. I'll measure mine up against Helen's to compare stock vs my setup (BCs) to give an impression of how low you can go and how stiff the springs/struts need to be to not scrape.
I reckon I'm at the very limit. Mine's a daily and i just have to avoid high curbs. Other than that, scrape less in the night
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

If you can get the HRs in 20mm drop then that sounds like the cheap compromise doesnt it?
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on December  2, 2019, 16:32You can. But it costs.

I disagree. On the same car a reduction of wheel travel ALWAYS comes with extra stiffness.
A better set of shocks/springs will still need to disperse the same energy over a shorter distance.

Having lightened my car a lot, the suspension could do with some attention.
I did a NoNo; shortened the OEM springs. As Carolyne pointed out to me, that also makes them stiffer.
I only cut so much off at restore OEM ride hight so rge extra siffness is marginal but does help it sagging just that bit less on compression.

househead

Quote from: Topdownman on December  3, 2019, 12:20If you can get the HRs in 20mm drop then that sounds like the cheap compromise doesnt it?

It sure does! Think I'll get these ordered and give them a shot.

AJT13N

Just bought Eibach Pro springs for my MR2 as I've had them on several of my previous vehicles.

Bought off Autodoc.co.uk, don't know price of TTE or prices for Eibach you have seen but normally these are cheaper by comparison as priced in Germany.

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/eibach/1930204

Currently £135 + delivery

Tags: