Ride Height ... Low, but maybe not this low

Started by househead, December 2, 2019, 15:13

Petrus

Quote from: Topdownman on December  5, 2019, 12:58The eibachs will be progressive too. I would think it would only be the very cheapest lowering springs that would not be

That is my take on it too.
This does not mean that the softer part is as soft as OEM and the OEM dampers will still need to cope with more force.
The stiffer part is ususally relaitvely short and more of a bump brake/stop for the last third or so of travel.
Also progessive usually is two stage.

Now even adjustable overcoils are only adjustable for ride hight. The spring characteristics are what they are.

All in all it is a very tricky subject and very much more so for the very much more varied conditions and priorities on the road than on the track.

Now, there is a factor that is generally overlooked; the wheel weight. That upsets the cart agaín ;-)

shnazzle

Quote from: Topdownman on December  5, 2019, 12:58The eibachs will be progressive too. I would think it would only be the very cheapest lowering springs that would not be
I've definitely manhandled the Eibach/TTEs and they're most certainly not progressively coiled
...neutiquam erro.

Tomo70

The other reason I ended up going for H&R springs was that they are TUV approved. I don't think Tein are

🚘Just a pass time to break the monotony

Petrus

Quote from: Tomo70 on December  5, 2019, 16:56The other reason I ended up going for H&R springs was that they are TUV approved. I don't think Tein are

Correct.

househead

Quote from: shnazzle on December  5, 2019, 16:31
I've definitely manhandled the Eibach/TTEs and they're most certainly not progressively coiled

Does not progressively coiled 100% mean not progressively sprung? Eibach advertise them as progressive springs.
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

shnazzle

Quote from: househead on December  5, 2019, 21:31
Quote from: shnazzle on December  5, 2019, 16:31

Does not progressively coiled 100% mean not progressively sprung? Eibach advertise them as progressive springs.
No. But on closer inspection, the bottom coil has a slightly smaller gap.

So, I guess progressive. The same way that a palm tree in my back garden would make it a tropical resort
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Eibach TUV cert has their Pro kit as linear spring rate see here - https://media.carparts-cat.com/pdf/Einbau/153450/112/E1082001.PDF

However it wouldnt be first time ive seen that and then when you see springs they had slight difference in coil spacing one end making them look like progressive wind, i think the thinking is that the tighter wound coils are compressed under car load which gives the lowering aspect and retains spring location on droop, but the actual spring rate once compressed by vehicle weight is linear hence the TUV spec.

I would like to know the real world ride height (arch lip to wheel centre) on the Eibach kit to see how it compares my car on Teins.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Petrus

I measured ride hight as Toyota specs it; from the suspension arm bolt center to road surface. Adjusted (read cut) the OEM springs to suspend the car within 5 mm. lower, resulting in a dynamic ride hight at least as high on average.

Carolyn

Just to add idiotic complexity....

We had to get special coil springs made for the inside of a rocket engine. They were of similar proportions to suspension s[rings, but shorter  They were a specific rate and length and made of special stainless.  They cost a couple of hundred quids, as I recall.

The point being -it is absolutely possible to have springs made to your own spec, for surprisingly little dosh.

If you want to know why we needed springs for a rocket engine, get ready for a long and complicated.....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Yes, looked at the custom spring option:

http://www.dfaulknersprings.com/

Note the spring seat options too. Would be an easy solution for some here.

And yes, I´d be interested to know why you to needed them  O:-)

steve447

I just picked up some used adjustable spring platform converted OEM struts with adjustable Koni sport inserts for exactly the reasons talked about in this thread. They are 250lb front and 350lb rear spring rates, should have them fitted over this weekend.  Currently have newer OEM struts with teins which are pretty good for the money but a little too low and underdamped. 

thetyrant

Quote from: steve447 on January 18, 2020, 01:10I just picked up some used adjustable spring platform converted OEM struts with adjustable Koni sport inserts for exactly the reasons talked about in this thread. They are 250lb front and 350lb rear spring rates, should have them fitted over this weekend.  Currently have newer OEM struts with teins which are pretty good for the money but a little too low and underdamped. 

Nice that's my next plan for mine to make best use of my konis, picture please :)

steve447

Picture as requested.  The yellow sport shocks were powder coated black along with the modded oem strut housings...they did a very nice job.

thetyrant

Nice one although im not so sure on the way they have the spring at the top but sure it will be fine on car, I will be interested to see how it rides with them on as those rates are about what I was thinking for mine when I get around to the spring conversion to compliment my Konis.

steve447

The blue springs at the top are helpers with little to no rate, they are just there to stop the primary spring rattling around when the shock is extended...will post some feedback after I fit them

steve447

Just got back from the first drive with the new to me Koni Coilovers.  Set up about the same as my tein lowering springs so 1" or so drop at the back and a bit more at the front.   I am impressed so far, not too harsh at all, very composed, hit a big compression dip at speed and waited for a bottom out but it just soaked it up.  Will venture a bit further at the weekend and get some freeway/motorway miles in.  250lb front 350lb rear with stock roll bars  and s-drives. 

ooch

I bought my car and found out it had Apex lowering springs on:

https://mr2-ben.co.uk/products/484

Has anybody else used these? Are they any good as I never see them mentioned. Ride seems ok but I've never driven a standard set-up MR2 so can't compare.

Tags: