Tein springs & bump stops.

Started by turbnics, January 7, 2020, 19:22

thetyrant

Quote from: Topdownman on June 23, 2020, 08:12Would it be possible to jack the car up, take the wheel off and cut the bumpstops with them on the car?

Yes probably, bit of a fiddle and you would need to be careful not to mark the damper rod but possible im sure.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

panderoo

On the instructions included with my Tein springs i just fitted it advised to cut the bump stops, i seem to remember it also had a table to show how much to cut off.

I proceeded to ignore that and just cut about 30mm.

tricky1138

Quote from: panderoo on June 23, 2020, 10:39On the instructions included with my Tein springs i just fitted it advised to cut the bump stops, i seem to remember it also had a table to show how much to cut off.

I proceeded to ignore that and just cut about 30mm.

Have you still got the instructions? Can you post a picture of them, or PM me them if you dont want to post on here.

I've seen instructions which say dont cut so just wondering why one says cut and the other says not.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Topdownman

Interesting that are now advising cutting them again?

I will certainly cut my fronts before they go on the car. So hopefully wont have to see if they can be cut whilst still on the car!

I havent actually got my springs yet (4-5 week delay apparently) but will be interested to see what my instructions say!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

panderoo

I'll have a look to see if they are still in the workshop tonight and post a photo of both sides of the instructions.

panderoo

Looks like maybe I should have read the instructions, table shows no cutting for the ZZW30 MR2. 😂

However, if your car is visibly sitting on them.. get them cut down.

shnazzle

If someone already has some on without cutting, can we not do a little test? Put a piece of string or zip tie around the strut and go for a hard drive. See where the piece of string or ziptie is afterwards. 
If it's nowhere near the bump stop, got your answer. 
If it's against the bump stop... Cut dat shizzle
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

Quote from: shnazzle on June 23, 2020, 17:53If someone already has some on without cutting, can we not do a little test? Put a piece of string or zip tie around the strut and go for a hard drive. See where the piece of string or ziptie is afterwards.

Well my fronts are on and no plans to removeand my tears are assembled ready to go on so guess I could rig something up prior to Northumberland Camping then see after that.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Beachbum957

Quote from: shnazzle on June 23, 2020, 17:53If someone already has some on without cutting, can we not do a little test? Put a piece of string or zip tie around the strut and go for a hard drive. See where the piece of string or ziptie is afterwards.
I tested the position by measuring from the center of the front hub to the fender edge with the car on the ground.  This was on a car than had stock bump stops and Teins and Konis that had been on for a few thousand miles.

I pulled the struts, removed the springs and boots (for access), and reinstalled.  When I raised the front hub to the same measurement as on the ground, the strut was very nearly touching the bump stops.  The rear was checked but not nearly as close.

If you don't cut the front stops, you will be riding on them most of the time.  My instructions indicated to cut 25 mm (1 inch) using the Type "A" method as the boot fits into a groove at the top on the bump stop.

Even after cutting, many hard bumps would get into the bump stops pretty hard, so I added a roughly 10 mm spacer (3/8 in) above the spring.  That increased the preload slightly, and raised the front a similar amount, and now it almost never hits the stops.

I never cut the rear and that seems just fine.

shnazzle

Well... That seems pretty conclusive then right?
...neutiquam erro.

tricky1138

So just for reference I emailed Tein and just had an email back from them stating that "there is no need to cut the bump rubber"

Tags: