Zero Exhausts sports cat

Started by shnazzle, February 18, 2020, 20:09

shnazzle

I had a surprise email from our friend Kevin at Zero Exhausts; he now has perfect bespoke 200cell cat pipes for the mr2. 
It's a thing of beauty, as is to be expected. 
Top quality steel as we know from his manifolds and a Magnaflow 200cell.

He has quoted the price at 320,which quite frankly pisses me off as I paid a lot more for mine... :(

He wrote: 
"I have used a top quality catalytic converter from Magnaflow in the USA and it is rated as safe to 300bhp. As you can see the flanges are machined to accept the O.E. gaskets. The quality speaks for itself I think and it shouldn't be compared to the £195 versions that can be found on Ebay which use plain gaskets to mate to the pre-cats and the exhaust silencer, have a lot smaller catalytic converter and a lot shorter braided flex."
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Very nice.  Proper bit of kit.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on February 18, 2020, 20:12Very nice.  Proper bit of kit.

That it is.

If anybody does get it, it would be nice to have the forum mentioned. I don't know if the 320gbp price is forum-only but it's good for him to get an idea of where his mr2 clientele are coming from.
...neutiquam erro.

Mikeymead

Yes that does look a good bit of kit, got to fit better than the one I've got.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Call the midlife!

Well that sucks! Or blows, technically... Being in the same boat as Patrick I can't help feeling a little disappointed but that's life, I'd only destroy it anyway, probably.
Lovely looking thing though, not dissimilar to my own in parts.
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

Hmmmm...
how does the connection between the manifold and the cat actually look like then? The zero manifold has slight recesses that help to keep circle gaskets in place, but that cat has tube extensions sticking out.. are they supposed to fit into the manifold tubes?

Standard gaskets are what like 4mm thick?

I like the idea of getting one, along with Snelbards braces etc but just curious how the connection works..

shnazzle

Quote from: jvanzyl on February 18, 2020, 22:30Hmmmm...
how does the connection between the manifold and the cat actually look like then? The zero manifold has slight recesses that help to keep circle gaskets in place, but that cat has tube extensions sticking out.. are they supposed to fit into the manifold tubes?

Standard gaskets are what like 4mm thick?

I like the idea of getting one, along with Snelbards braces etc but just curious how the connection works..
It's the same as stock. He copied the flanges on both sides.
...neutiquam erro.

Gaz mr-s

I've got a different view. The 200 cell Magnaflow can be bought for approx £100.  A stainless de-cat pipe can be had for under £100.  If you know a welder.....
I'll add I bought a Zero manifold.

shnazzle

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 18, 2020, 23:32I've got a different view. The 200 cell Magnaflow can be bought for approx £100.  A stainless de-cat pipe can be had for under £100.  If you know a welder.....
Same as the Zero mani; you can do things on the cheap, have questionable stainless and generic flanges needing non-standard gaskets, or you can pay a little more and get a top quality, perfectly fitting piece of kit with warranty.

They both "do the job". Preference really.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 18, 2020, 23:32I've got a different view. The 200 cell Magnaflow can be bought for approx £100.  A stainless de-cat pipe can be had for under £100.  If you know a welder.....

100 + 100 + 50 + agro < 320 you say, meaning the agro is worth less than 70 quid.

Ok, that is a pov.

I´d prefer not leaking joints and guaranteed weld quality.

Gaz mr-s

If you use a garage that gives you agro then maybe you should look elsewhere, Petrus.

There are two practical advantages to getting a Zero-made one....the steel quality & the o/e spec flange.
But a cat pipe is not going to stay pretty for very long, & it's more effective if wrapped. So if the welding isn't as good as Zero's it won't matter if it's wrapped.

Zxrob

That looks good, finish and weld quality look spot on, £320 is not expensive imo

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: Zxrob on February 19, 2020, 16:07That looks good, finish and weld quality look spot on, £320 is not expensive imo

Rob

I agree!
I went to look at his website, but it is not on there yet. Sending him an email.
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Petrus

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 19, 2020, 15:38If you use a garage that gives you agro then maybe you should look elsewhere, Petrus.

There are two practical advantages to getting a Zero-made one....the steel quality & the o/e spec flange.
But a cat pipe is not going to stay pretty for very long, & it's more effective if wrapped. So if the welding isn't as good as Zero's it won't matter if it's wrapped.

I think you have misunderstoor my equasion.

And about the wrapping; it has two sides in this case. Yes it will make the cat work quicker/well but it will put extra thermal stress on the welds so if the welding is not as good... hmmm.

For perspective: I have a decat header, a decat mid pipe and OEM connections welded to a motorbike demuffler. Nothing wrapped.

Carolyn

Quote from: Petrus on February 19, 2020, 18:49
Quote from: Gaz mr-s on February 19, 2020, 15:38If you use a garage that gives you agro then maybe you should look elsewhere, Petrus.

I think you have misunderstoor my equasion.

And about the wrapping; it has two sides in this case. Yes it will make the cat work quicker/well but it will put extra thermal stress on the welds so if the welding is not as good... hmmm.

For perspective: I have a decat header, a decat mid pipe and OEM connections welded to a motorbike demuffler. Nothing wrapped.
This guy's welding is top quality. He is very happy with wrapping his product.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bugster_MR2

I have ordered one now. Looking forward to receive it.  >:D  >:D
Bugster
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

shnazzle

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on February 19, 2020, 22:07I have ordered one now. Looking forward to receive it.  >:D  >:D

Would have sold you mine for 320 :) hehe
...neutiquam erro.

Bugster_MR2

Quote from: shnazzle on February 19, 2020, 22:17
Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on February 19, 2020, 22:07I have ordered one now. Looking forward to receive it.  >:D  >:D

Too late. :p PPE? Used?
Bugster

shnazzle

Quote from: Bugster_MR2 on February 19, 2020, 22:22
Quote from: shnazzle on February 19, 2020, 22:17

Too late. :p PPE? Used?
Hehe no was just kidding. it's a custom 200cell I had made. Cost a lot more than 320 I'll tell you that.

Just a sucker for a shiny Zero product hehehe
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

In voyeuristic mode here.

Happy watching from the side. Do like the look of that. Regardless of the pros n cons, I would not wrap it, looks too nice.

eagerly awaiting feedback

Smithy

So I know there is a lot to say for wrapping against unwrapping. do I have the pros and cons right?

Pros = the system works better when the gasses are hot, it keeps engine bay temp down and thus reduces possible heat soak to inlet tract when the heat shield is removed.
cons = puts extra thermal stress on the unwrapped sections of the system and hides away your nice shiny new stainless system.
can the same question be asked for any section of the exhaust?
I don't want to wrap (Toyo manifold) but feel I have to. emailed Toyosport who said to wrap it.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Gaz mr-s

You've answered your own question. It's more relevant & effective on the manifold & cat than the cooler silencer.
A lot of racing exhausts use a ceramic coating, - wrapping is the cheaper alternative.  Interesting that Toyosport have said to do it.

shnazzle

I would agree. Wrap it. It's cheap enough and will last long enough for it to be worth it.
And quite frankly they generally have been quite solid so the steel used seems to cope well.
...neutiquam erro.

steveash

Has Kevin ever been persuaded to make a catback exhaust? I'm starting to dream about having a full Zero system fitted.

shnazzle

Quote from: steveash on February 20, 2020, 22:04Has Kevin ever been persuaded to make a catback exhaust? I'm starting to dream about having a full Zero system fitted.
Already asked him :)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: