Zero Exhausts sports cat

Started by shnazzle, February 18, 2020, 20:09

Call the midlife!

Knowing my luck he'll decide to produce one ten minutes after I get one made down the road 😂
60% of the time it works everytime...

Amarlborough

I've put an order in too, also managed to twist Kevin's arm to build me a back box too so I'll have a complete Zero system.

Dropping the car into him on the 26th May 👍🏻😀

shnazzle

Quote from: Amarlborough on March  2, 2020, 12:04I've put an order in too, also managed to twist Kevin's arm to build me a back box too so I'll have a complete Zero system.

Dropping the car into him on the 26th May 👍🏻😀
No way! 

Oh man, I'm going to hate you. 
Please make him make a jig for the exhaust.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

@Amarlborough

Are you local to him?

@shnazzle, had an email reply from Kevin.
He is happy to make something in the style of the malian race box I sent as a reference.
He needs the car as he builds it up insitu.
Made clear no pltns to create a jig or cat backs but happy to do one offs.

I may have finally found a reputable (localish) custom zorst company.
P D Gough. Nottingham.

Amarlborough

Not really local, I'm Bedfordshire zeros in Kent so it's going to involve abit of travelling back and forth.  ::)

Will need the car for a few days too.

Tried to offer my fitting as a template to make a jig, but he just isn't interested in developing it.

His argument is there are cheaper alternatives out there which he couldn't price match.

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on March  2, 2020, 17:45@Amarlborough

Are you local to him?

@shnazzle, had an email reply from Kevin.
He is happy to make something in the style of the malian race box I sent as a reference.
He needs the car as he builds it up insitu.
Made clear no pltns to create a jig or cat backs but happy to do one offs.

I may have finally found a reputable (localish) custom zorst company.
P D Gough. Nottingham.

Looking at their "Gallery" they have done some nice work for some nice cars. They may be towards pricey but reading what they offer that does include batch work that could help on the cost basis.
PS. And they do make from " patterns" of which they claim to have a large selection of. Likely not of a 2 " Zorst" but that they work from a pattern rather than an in situ  build each time is noteworthy.

Ardent

Planning to send them a similar email I sent to zero, complete with pictures to get idea and hopefully have a drive over Friday afternoon

Bugster_MR2

8)  Life is like a box of.......
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

Bugster_MR2

I am very happy camper so far. Zero responded quickly to my emails, production and shipment was quick, packaging excellent, and the product looks amazing. Can't wait to install it. 🤠
Bugster
2001 red with KW3, TRD rear brace, Zero race cat and MAF-mod.
2003 silver TTE Turbo, underbrace, sidescoops, style bar, front bumper, rear spoiler, interior garnish, exhaust

shnazzle

Do let us know about the fitment and pics!
...neutiquam erro.

tom256

Received:

Cat used is high flow Magnaflow 59955 meeting Euro3 requirements.
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

shnazzle

Quote from: tom256 on March 27, 2020, 11:58Received:

Cat used is high flow Magnaflow 59955 meeting Euro3 requirements.
Certainly not cutting any corners there then
...neutiquam erro.

tom256

New Zero sport cat is assembled in my car now. Together with bigger and lighter alternator pulley. I have to say, it is really amazing. Car is much, much stronger, much more that I expected. My mechanic was also schocked. With Zero header it was mosty louder, with a little effect on performance but now I can feel much more power. Pricy, but worth every penny, I really recommend it.

My exhaust: Zero header + cat, TTE muffler.
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

Petrus

Happy for you with the positive result.

Minor ´pity´ that you did the pulley and cat at the same time. The cat should be by far the most noticeable improvent though.

Anyway; congrats and ENJOY (which is the most important bit).

Mikeymead

Well having just melted my nappy due to the "incredible" fit of my current sports cat I think it is time to bite the bullet, what is the best way of contacting Kevin?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on May 10, 2020, 10:19Well having just melted my nappy due to the "incredible" fit of my current sports cat I think it is time to bite the bullet, what is the best way of contacting Kevin?
Give him a call or drop an email. He's definitely working. 

sales@zeroexhausts.co.uk

01233 822221
...neutiquam erro.

Bimmer-Bob

Quote from: shnazzle on February 18, 2020, 20:09I had a surprise email from our friend Kevin at Zero Exhausts; he now has perfect bespoke 200cell cat pipes for the mr2.

This is quite timely as I've just purchased a new MR2 Spyder and have been researching options for the exhaust tract. I've pretty much settled on a set of Zero Exhaust headers, and am leaning towards an HKS exhaust - but I hadn't yet found a solution for the downpipe. I was considering a couple of different options, but wasn't really sold on anything - until I saw this. Do you know if these are being sold off-the-shelf, or was it a one-off custom product?

Thanks!

shnazzle

Quote from: Bimmer-Bob on May 11, 2020, 00:42
Quote from: shnazzle on February 18, 2020, 20:09I had a surprise email from our friend Kevin at Zero Exhausts; he now has perfect bespoke 200cell cat pipes for the mr2.

This is quite timely as I've just purchased a new MR2 Spyder and have been researching options for the exhaust tract. I've pretty much settled on a set of Zero Exhaust headers, and am leaning towards an HKS exhaust - but I hadn't yet found a solution for the downpipe. I was considering a couple of different options, but wasn't really sold on anything - until I saw this. Do you know if these are being sold off-the-shelf, or was it a one-off custom product?

Thanks!
Kevin builds them all to order so it's just a case of getting in the touch and putting the order in.

What he basically said is that he has created a jig for the MR2 for a stock-fitting sports cat. 
And, once this lockdown is over I believe one of our members will be heading down to have a backbox designed and fitted. First full Zero exhaust system.
...neutiquam erro.

MR2Bart1991

Quote from: tom256 on April 29, 2020, 23:13New Zero sport cat is assembled in my car now. Together with bigger and lighter alternator pulley. I have to say, it is really amazing. Car is much, much stronger, much more that I expected. My mechanic was also schocked. With Zero header it was mosty louder, with a little effect on performance but now I can feel much more power. Pricy, but worth every penny, I really recommend it.

My exhaust: Zero header + cat, TTE muffler.

a Dyno would be nice :p would be nice to know how  this zero combo compares to stock.

Petrus

Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 13, 2020, 10:11a Dyno would be nice :p would be nice to know how  this zero combo compares to stock.

The stock header is not the only bottle neck, thus a dyno would not give you any info on the header swap unless the rest of the exhaust is opened up too.
The way to measure the header only would be a custom set up to the OEM header and thén swap the header.

Imo the way to look at a header swap on a 1ZZ is to see it as robbing less hp, not ádding.

shnazzle

Quote from: Petrus on May 13, 2020, 10:30
Quote from: MR2Bart1991 on May 13, 2020, 10:11a Dyno would be nice :p would be nice to know how  this zero combo compares to stock.

The stock header is not the only bottle neck, thus a dyno would not give you any info on the header swap unless the rest of the exhaust is opened up too.
The way to measure the header only would be a custom set up to the OEM header and thén swap the header.

Imo the way to look at a header swap on a 1ZZ is to see it as robbing less hp, not ádding.
Semantics. Let's call it "free up horsepower". 

There's a fair bit of headroom in the stock exhaust. So dyno would (and historically has many times) pick up increases for sure.

There's been tons of dyno sessions with these kinds of setups and gains in general have been around 10-15hp.
It's more a case of where the torque curve ends up though. That changes per header, cat and backbox used.

What we don't have is a dyno for Zero header + Zero cat + TTE. Or really I guess Zero header + Magnaflow cat.
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on May 13, 2020, 10:58Semantics. Let's call it "free up horsepower".

Semantics are key for understanding, in tuning even more than in politics ;-)

The 1ZZ vs 2ZZ per example is vastly different in the header topic. The crux being the flow of head of these two and how the header relates or not.
In the 2ZZ a bad header will cost a lot of hp, a good header will actually áid the filling.
The 2ZZ head is quite something imo. I would no doubt tack an Engineered by Yamaha badge on it.

Call the midlife!

Bernie's was dyno tested at the various stages and highlighted the possible gains per component.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Petrus

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 13, 2020, 11:32Bernie's was dyno tested at the various stages and highlighted the possible gains per component.

Dug through the various specs&graphs here and spyderchat and concluded that the results are... confusing. Remap or not does not help clarify things. 
The most clear red line I distinguished was the OEM manifold and cat being restrictive and the OEM intake being not (bar the intake horn).

It imo also illustrates the relative value of the absolute numbers. It is not all calibrated ;-)

Tried to find the dyno results of the MAF mod. again btw. Did not find them. If anyone knows where to find it, most obliged.

I have sofar stuck with the OEM intake horn and done all the mods in single steps.
Now mounted a not restrictive elbow with bell mount. Will need de-lockdown to try.

Bernie

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 13, 2020, 11:32Bernie's was dyno tested at the various stages and highlighted the possible gains per component.

From Robs extensive receipts and invoices after each mod car was Dyno'd

148 BHP
Exhaust & Sports Cat

157 BHP
Apexi ECU
Crower Cams

167 BHP
Zero Manifold

171 BHP PPE Induction
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride