The key dance saga..

Started by Ac1962, February 24, 2020, 16:55

Ac1962

Hi all, be gentle please, my nerves already shot to bits over this...
My car 2002 PFL
i had one key, so bought a blank and a 'used' key to make a spare... the used key i bought i think now despite looking the same before i opened it up, has different internals so when i do the reprogramming dance, although the car goes into programming mode, the 'new' key refuses to play ball. Yes the battery is ok, i see the red light when i press the lock or unnlock buttons. So, am i right in thinking the internals make a difference and they dont all work regardless of car age? If so, does anyone have an old 2000-2002 PFL key with working internals i can buy? Also, if anyone with a requirement for internals from a 736716-A 2 button fob, please let me know :)

paulj

Our key internals are the tokai rika variety, Toyota did use three manufacturers so you may have got the wrong one.  Tokai are often grey plastic with a transparent battery cover.

Once you know you have got a tokai fob, the dance can be a little tempermental with the time between button presses - a watch of a youtube video can help.

Fob will also not pair if the remote already has four fobs paired to it - another dance sequence will tell you how many are registered.

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=23563.0
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Tags: