Rev counter issues - help me with a 'try this first' guide please.

Started by Ac1962, March 8, 2020, 18:31

Ac1962

So my rev counter has had a couple of issues in last few days - the first was it just went beserk for 2-3 seconds bouncing around and then settling back to normal performance and then today, it just stopped as i went from 2nd to 3rd at full throttle and refused to work for 60 seconds or so and then worked faultlessly rest of day - and 50 miles hard driving -.
So, where do i look first for the cause? The engine runs smooth and everything else electrical works A1.
any ideas guys? :(

Carolyn

The rev counter is run by the ECU, which also uses the rpm signal to run the engine. As all else seems fine, one can probably discount the ECU as the source of the strange behaviour. 

That leaves the instrument in the cluster as the problem.  It is a fairly simple matter to remove it.

Spare clusters used instrument clusters are out there and not a lot of money.  So, if the problem persists or gets worse, you might contact our affiliate breaker, Mr Sloan.

Or there may well be a member who has one they are prepared to part with.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

shnazzle

I'd try refittinf the cluster. Maybe a loose connection?
Binnacle pops straight off and then it's 3/4 small screws and the lot pops off. Two. Electrical connectors.
Jiggle the wires a bit on connectors to see if any seem loose. Refit the lot. Try again?

Shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd usually sends a decent jolt through the car so may have dislodged something temporarily.

If you are "clusterf*cked" (see what I did there) then bear in mind other clusters will have incorrect mileage. Not sure what to do with that but I think these were tamper-proof
...neutiquam erro.

Ac1962

Quote from: shnazzle on March  8, 2020, 22:41I'd try refittinf the cluster. Maybe a loose connection?
Binnacle pops straight off and then it's 3/4 small screws and the lot pops off. Two. Electrical connectors.
Jiggle the wires a bit on connectors to see if any seem loose. Refit the lot. Try again?

Shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd usually sends a decent jolt through the car so may have dislodged something temporarily.

If you are "clusterf*cked" (see what I did there) then bear in mind other clusters will have incorrect mileage. Not sure what to do with that but I think these were tamper-proof
i hope im not fusterclucked as my current cluster only has 82K with a full stamped service book and id like to preserve that cohesion. ill try removing and make sure all is good n tight and no loose connections first before i buy/try a new cluster.

Carolyn

Quote from: Ac1962 on March  9, 2020, 13:08
Quote from: shnazzle on March  8, 2020, 22:41I'd try refittinf the cluster. Maybe a loose connection?

i hope im not fusterclucked as my current cluster only has 82K with a full stamped service book and id like to preserve that cohesion. ill try removing and make sure all is good n tight and no loose connections first before i buy/try a new cluster.

While it's out, may I suggest a good general spraying with contact cleaner?  On the connectors and generally around the back of the rev counter?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: