Valve Stem seal job?

Started by thetyrant, April 12, 2020, 17:50

Ardent

I bow to your far superior tech/mech knowledge than mine.

But  Just to bring things back to basics and the vanilla which I understand. Anything less than one liter per 621 miles or 1000kms is deemed within spec.

From the F mark on the stick. Each 1mm below is equivalent to 50ml of oil.

thetyrant

Indeed but i think im using a lot more than that, i could just potter about and keep it topped up but blue smoke at high revs is not acceptable to me and not good for cat etc either, however i am monitoring everyday to see how it goes but more work or changing engine is inevitable i think.

Im going to see an engine Dick Sloan has available at weekend which is in a car so can hear it running and inspect etc, meant to be a good one but will see.
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

thetyrant

So ive done about 200 miles now and while its only visibly smoking at high revs now (not on overrun like before) its still got a thirst for oil, dipstick level has gone from 3/4 full to 1/4 full in that mileage and its mostly steady driving, no real thrashing of it.

Its such a shame as this engine runs so well otherwise however i cant be having that much oil consumption, also its not doing the cat and 02 sensors etc any good so i went to view/listen to a 76k mile engine Dick Sloan was breaking on saturday, it was a bit grubby on outside as valvecover gasket and tensioner oring were typical leaking but it ran really nice and quiet with no signs of smoking, 02 sensors and precats all nice and clean and popped valvecover off to inspect cams etc, they looked good and while inside of cover was a bit brown its not terrible and all main bits decent enough so i got him to drop it down last night, ive now cleaned off all the crud built up from leaks mentioned above and just need to get a clutch for it then i can work out when i can get it swapped in. Its going to be tight in my little garage but will get it done im sure.

Once this smoking engine is out will be stripping to inspect the pistons and bores, if its just gummed up rings and all rest is good will probably get new rings etc for it, may even go back in if this other engine gives issues.

Ardent

Any merit in swapping heads given the work you have just done?

thetyrant

Quote from: Ardent on May 26, 2020, 15:49Any merit in swapping heads given the work you have just done?

Ive thought about it but no visual leaks down valve stems on new engine in exh ports at least so not going to bother, also to change head engine really needs to come out anyhows as its a mega mission due to access etc with it in place.

Once my engine is out i will get head off and pistons out so i can see what these old oil rings are like, its a shame its not easier to get head off with engine in car as wanted to just do that and take sump off so i could pull pistons out, on further advice getting head off without dropping engine isnt for me :)

Tags: