Window wiper squeal

Started by Bullit, April 27, 2020, 15:05

Bullit

One thing that's always annoyed me about my car is that the wipers have always squealed, I've tried numerous types/brands of wiper and nothing has sorted it.

Well whilst on lock down i've been doing a few jobs and took the scuttle panel off to paint it. I've just noticed that the wiper mechanism has play in it. I can hold the thread that the wiper arm goes on to and wiggle it.

Is there a way to adjust this or is it new mechanism time ? 

paulj

I cant answer your question but do have my own....

What did you use to paint the scuttle panel, mine is almost white!

Thanks
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Carolyn

If changing blades is not doing it, it could well be that the blade is sitting at the wrong angle. If that's not right, the blade will not 'flip' as is goes back and forth.

Turn the wipers on with the screen wet and watch the blades to see if they are flipping nicely as they change direction.

If one is not, it will bounce and squeal. The long thin metal part of the wiper arm can become slightly twisted out of ideal shape. 

Using a pair of pliers, twist the metal away from the direction in which the blade is bouncing.  It only takes a small adjustment to make the difference.

Done this many times....
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bullit

Quote from: paulj on April 27, 2020, 18:14I cant answer your question but do have my own....

What did you use to paint the scuttle panel, mine is almost white!

Thanks

I bought it from amazon, It's autotek black bumper and trim spray paint. I bought it because it doesn't need primer.

Tags: