Reversing camera HELP

Started by deviantmr-s, May 9, 2020, 19:17

deviantmr-s

I have fitted a cheap double din touchscreen, which works well...but, and there is always a but!

The reversing camera I have attempted to fit does not work... see pics below... where have I gone wrong in the wiring???

The camera is supposed to cut in when I go into reverse, but it is not cutting in on the screen...

I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

shnazzle

Hard to say without knowing the wiring diagram for that radio. 
Is that red, what I assume is a "trigger" wire, going into the yellow s-video connector? Not seen that before. Not convinced by that. 

Usually there's a wire (the lilac one?) that gets a signal from the handbrake sensor or the brake light. That triggers the reverse functionality on the unit. 
Then an entirely separate video cable (yellow connector) is for the video feed. The camera then also takes power from the rear brake light usually and ground from somewhere around there.
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Never mind.
Just googled and the "tailed" trigger wire is a thing. Never knew! Mine was separate. 

In that case... Nope.. Stuck. 
Setting in radio? 
Have you measured 12v on that wire when reverse is activated?
...neutiquam erro.

deviantmr-s

No, the red looks like that on the pic, but if you look closely... the red and black wire come from the yellow video connector. Red into the pink (back-in on the harness to the stereo).
I am an artist - the track is my canvas, my car is my brush - 2003 2zz Island Green Supercharged

deviantmr-s

Quote from: shnazzle on May  9, 2020, 21:06Never mind.
Just googled and the "tailed" trigger wire is a thing. Never knew! Mine was separate.

In that case... Nope.. Stuck.
Setting in radio?
Have you measured 12v on that wire when reverse is activated?

Will test it as I am at a loss...

moredun

I also have a cheap double din headunit and there is a setting in the unit to turn on the reverse camera when in reverse, also if you want to see the guide lines.

Wiring should be the same or very similar to this ...

Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

deviantmr-s

Thank you, got it! Scotch connector was not connecting fully, replaced it with a new one and hey presto! Happy bunny now.  ;D

shnazzle

Quote from: deviantmr-s on May 10, 2020, 10:44Thank you, got it! Scotch connector was not connecting fully, replaced it with a new one and hey presto! Happy bunny now.  ;D
Those things are the devil's work.

I've never had one work for very long. Always end up splicing in "properly"
...neutiquam erro.

deviantmr-s

Quote from: shnazzle on May 10, 2020, 11:18
Quote from: deviantmr-s on May 10, 2020, 10:44Thank you, got it! Scotch connector was not connecting fully, replaced it with a new one and hey presto! Happy bunny now.  ;D

See how long it lasts...

Just unpacked an underdash sub, looked at the wiring and gulped!  :o

shnazzle

Quote from: deviantmr-s on May 10, 2020, 12:02
Quote from: shnazzle on May 10, 2020, 11:18

See how long it lasts...

Just unpacked an underdash sub, looked at the wiring and gulped!  :o
It's not that bad :)  

Trigger/remote wire, power and a cable with red/white plugs right? 
Dont forget to fuse the power wire and mount it straight to the battery positive.
...neutiquam erro.

brianorme1986

Sorry to bring up a old thread, I'm looking to install a reverse camera to my already installed Pioneer Apple Play DAB headunit. Any advice or help would be great

The Other Stu

Quote from: brianorme1986 on June 29, 2021, 20:09Sorry to bring up a old thread, I'm looking to install a reverse camera to my already installed Pioneer Apple Play DAB headunit. Any advice or help would be great
I have a Pioneer too (it's the one before the Apple Play - has the Pioneer App instead).
Works perfectly. Check the manual, it's really quite simple. You need a feed from the reverse light.

Basically, the yellow phono plug goes into the back of the unit. There's also a reverse wire that comes out.
I think it's light purple in colour (should be marked) and this video seems to confirm it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bF3uzzaT30
No Longer Here

Tags: