Brake system making weird noises

Started by winnershdave, June 4, 2020, 19:30

winnershdave

Hi,

Any thoughts on an ongoing problem...

So my car has developed an occasional fault where the following happens:

1.  A sound from the front of the car that sounds like a metal spring being "twanged".
2.  A kind of sound like a cogs winding, same location as above.
3.  A brief metal on metal feedback through the brake when depressed after the noise.
4.  The ABS light comes on, even more random than the noises.
5.  Occasionally the Speedo stops reading, but comes on again either during the drive or on next start up.

It is a random thing, with no particular pattern, it is not triggered when I press the brake, it has even happened when that car is stationary during a journey (traffic lights or parked).  The brakes still stop the car effectively, but it is just spoils driving the car, as I don't know what it is or if it car is going to fail.

It had new Brake pads last year, so the metal on metal is not down to worn pads.

Sorry for the ramblings, I thought maybe the servo was on the way out, but any suggestions and quick tests would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

shnazzle

Not sure what's wrong but pretty sure you probably shouldn't drive it too much without having that seen to first.
Something is clearly amiss with one of your hubs.
...neutiquam erro.

moredun

Until you strip it, you will not know for sure.

Maybe the dust cover breaking up and catching on the pad/caliper
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

paulj

I think the speedo reading is taken from an ABS sensor, so the speedo issue is probably linked. Perhaps a sensor on the blink calling for ABS braking reaction at the wrong times???
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Ardent

Regards No1 That is normal if its when you pull off and probably happens below 5 0r 10mph.
the other 4 Hmmm

Pads clips in place? pads not moving around in the caliper? Caliper bolts torqued correctly?

winnershdave

Thanks all for your thoughts and direction, I will get it in for a check over.

It happens at variable speeds, as I cannot see any pattern in the behaviour.

Once I know what the problem is, I will post it up.

Many thanks!

Ardent

Sounds. Always a difficult one to sort on a forum.
The difficulty is in you being able to convey precisely what the sounds are.
But almost guarentee it will have been covered here somewhere.
Which in itself is a battle sometimes to find.

I don't think so in this case, but, a small piece of shale between back plate and disc?

Topdownman

The dust shields also rust through and maybe catching?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

1e3mr2

Most likely what you hear is the ABS unit. It sounds like metal to metal contact when it kicks in. I had similar problem in my car, thought something was faulty. Went to a brakeshop and drove it together with the mechanic and we were able to reproduce it.

Tags: