Driveshafts/Engine removal

Started by thetyrant, June 7, 2020, 20:06

Chilli Girl

Glad to hear you have your new engine now. All the best for the transition, look forward to hearing how you get on. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

thetyrant

Quote from: Captain Vimes on June 10, 2020, 18:37Following.... I now have my replacement engine and will be doing the same in the near future.

Struggling to understand why the driveshaft needs to come out of the box? Can't you just drop the whole crossmember with hubs, engine, gearbox all together then just swap engine and lift it all back up?

I probably need to go and actually look at the car to realise why that doesn't work...

You could do that but its a big unwieldy lump all connected together, i wouldnt like to do it that way without having a car lift, you could then disconnect pipes, wiring, brakes, trailing arm and struts etc then lift car up away from motor etc, however you then need to split the engine and gbox to fit the new engine which would be a mission without a few strong people on hand, especially getting gbox all lined up again onto new engine.

Im planning to remove quite a lot and more than i really need too just to make it easier to lower engine and box down then slide it out the back of car, once its out i can then swap box onto new engine and slide it back in and lift up etc, doing it in a single garage with limited space makes a bit more tricky but once i get arms off and shafts out the box rest shouldn't be too bad.

Here is where im upto so far after another hour on it after work today...

You cannot view this attachment.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

thetyrant

Another hour on it tonight nearly ready to get shafts out then time to disconnect stuff up top and drop the lump out.

To answer my own question about nuts on arms etc, middle strut arm  has the locking type nuts on both ends of it which have the raised bumps to dig/lock into metal once tight, which makes them hard to undo i guess and turning bolt to release initial tension at least.  Front trailing arm still come off but looks same on that at least on outer end according to parts diagrams.

Here is where i am now..

thetyrant

Fingers crossed will have it dropped out tomorrow, popped into local motor factor today to see if they had a clutch kit for me, they had blueprint kit for £57 so thought that would do for me, even if i go turbo again i dont plan much over 200hp so should be ok for while at that if im kind to it, also at least i will know everything comes off next time if i want to uprate it.

thetyrant

Busy afternoon today, all fluids out, driveshaft outers and hubs removed as well as all rear suspension arms (going to tidy them up) then everything else disconnected from engine and its now ready to drop down out of car, was too hungry to do it today so thats tomorrows job :D

Suspension arms look like they have never been off as bolts inside bushes are pretty much like new, all nuts have the little bumps on them which lock into the brackets etc mean undoing bolts rather than nut initially to get tension off is the way to go on them all.

Spent some time cleaning up rear hubs once removed and cutting off the rusty stone sheild that sits behind disc, always worried about slicing myself on jagged edges so all gone now :D

Had a mission with fuel line to injector rail as needs a special tool to release inner barb, quick message to Dick Sloan and he told me a way to make a tool using cut down nozzle of silicone tube so after a bit of buggering about getting right size it released :D

Pic below of todays progress, doesnt look a lot different to last one but there is a whole heap more stuff removed and in my shed  :D

thetyrant

And its out!, picked up some sturdy ratchet straps from screwfix when it opened and these combined with jack underneath gradually lowered it all down onto floor, removed the loom and then gearbox, clutch but its soooo hot here today that might have to do :D

Few pics..
On its way down...

On the ground...

Split and stripped....

Joesson

@thetyrant
I was not aware of the "Draper engine/ gearbox support", having looked it up on the www. I see that this is marketed for front engine/ front wheel drive but, of course, the support won't know the difference.
Looks like it does the job and perhaps with better working access than a floor crane device, but moving the lump is then another issue.
Also noticed that the Draper price is higher by the VAT than eBay or Amazon, I am still surprised that third parties can sell at less than the manufacturer/ main distributor, but to our benefit anyway.

thetyrant

Quote from: Joesson on June 14, 2020, 11:57@thetyrant
I was not aware of the "Draper engine/ gearbox support", having looked it up on the www. I see that this is marketed for front engine/ front wheel drive but, of course, the support won't know the difference.
Looks like it does the job and perhaps with better working access than a floor crane device, but moving the lump is then another issue.
Also noticed that the Draper price is higher by the VAT than eBay or Amazon, I am still surprised that third parties can sell at less than the manufacturer/ main distributor, but to our benefit anyway.

I borrowed mine from a local garage many years ago to change my old Evos clutch and its a very solid/heavy piece of kit, the garage then closed down before i got chance to return it so with me it stayed :), not used it much but its handy when you need it and as you say less intrusive than an engine crane, we have a crane at work that i can borrow  but couldnt be bothered to go and get is so just lowered it down on the straps and beam. 
Need to get crane to lift spare engine off the stand though and will probably use it to lift engine back in place as going up on straps isnt as easy as coming down witha jack to assist, its possible though and done it before.

Measured my old clutch which i think is original one and there is about 0.7mm of life left to rivets, new one has over a mm more at 1.8mm so ready for change, not bad for 105k miles if it is original one.  The one i took off new engine which has done 76k measures in between the 2.

Joesson

@thetyrant
That was a good price!
Yes, lifting up on a screw thread not so easy as lowering but encouraging to hear that it can be done.
The clutch life seems good, using those wear figures mine at <70k has a way to go.
Hope all goes well as you progress.

thetyrant

I wouldnt want to lift up on the screw thread its not really designed for that, more for some minimal adjustment when doing clutches etc really, i used ratcheting tie down straps just looped over the beam and down underneath engine and box to drop it, have previously raised up gearbox that way as well but dont think i would want to do engine and box together, much better lifting with hydraulics on a crane :)

Popped to work this afternoon to grab our crane so i could get the new engine down off my stand and swap places with the  old one under car, swapped over throttle body and few other bits then wheeled the stand with old engine away round back of house until space in garage again, cleaned up flywheel and gearbox ready for new clutch etc and called it a day for now.

Twin engine...hmmmm :)

Joesson

@thetyrant
That would explain why the Draper beam is not in every post.
As for twin engines, I mentioned a 2CV with one engine in the back and one in the front, but thinking of 8 pots I wonder  how the guy on here with the Audi V8 is getting on with getting it in and running?

thetyrant

Been doing a hour or so each night and got the new clutch fitted, gearbox/engine mated then fitted loom onto engine and then shuffled it all back under car ready to lift, last night i hooked it upto the crane and lifted it back in and bolted in place, all went smoothly :)

Also got the front engine mount with clutch slave etc all bolted up and clutch seems to work as it should, gear cables back on, coolant hoses and throttle cable all done as well, few more bits to do and hopefully get it fired up this weekend.

While apart i inspected/cleaned up all rear suspension arms/bolts etc and then treated/painted them so should last a little longer, all bushes in surprisingly good order for what i presume are original 2005/105k miles items!

Looking forward to driving it again :D

thetyrant

Well its all back together and filled with fluids, it starts and idles ok so time to bleed the cooling system and get it out for a run to see if the engine is actually healthy!...  fingers crossed :)

thetyrant

60 miles this morning including a swing past Mr Sloans to pick up a few clips and things i needed, however news isnt good as while engine is ok at lower revs and no smell of burning oil (like my original which smelled all time) but once you give it some revs it really smokes probably worse :(   Dick will keep me right either another good engine if he gets one in or refund which is probably way i will go.

Im going to start pulling my original engine apart this week and see what its like in there, im hoping maybe a set of revised pistons/rings and light cylinder hone might be all she needs to get back to full health, we will see and at least i know how to change the engine/box now so it wont take as long next time :D

Carolyn

I think that's a chance one always takes with a used engine.

It pays to open up any engine that's an 'unknown' and give it rings, a honing, valve seals and a head skim.

Hey -you gave it a shot!

I think going through the one you have out of the car is your best bet.  You can clean up and modify the pistons that are already in there.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Yes it was always going to be a gamble with a used motor but at £300 it was worth a go, plan was to try it and if didnt work out then rebuild mine or find a good 2zz maybe so not a big problem, i was kind of hoping it would do rest of year and give me chance to work out a plan but heyho it cant be helped, all ive spent in process that cant be reused is oils really as clutch can be swapped over onto whatever goes in next, of course a lot of time as well but that isnt a issue for me as all part of learning :)

Joesson

@thetyrant, Credit to Mr Sloan and to yourself for your understanding of the "learning" process. Good luck with the rebuild.

Captain Vimes

Sorry it hasn't worked out :( At least it's an obvious issue rather than a failure a few months down the road after warranty was out.

Hope you get something sorted soon

thetyrant

Yes its a shame but at least ive learned something and had a lot of parts removed and cleaned up underneath which will make it much easier next time :)

Will start a new thread with the rebuild soon, ive made a start pulling original engine apart and once i had cams out  i realised i dont have the correct spline bit for headbolts DOH!  ordered that and will get onto stripping once it arrives and sort a thread on my progress.

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on June 22, 2020, 08:06Yes its a shame but at least ive learned something and had a lot of parts removed and cleaned up underneath which will make it much easier next time :)

Will start a new thread with the rebuild soon, ive made a start pulling original engine apart and once i had cams out  i realised i dont have the correct spline bit for headbolts DOH!  ordered that and will get onto stripping once it arrives and sort a thread on my progress.

Don't forget to remove the Oil Control Valve before undoing the head bolts.  Engines are fun!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Quote from: Carolyn on June 22, 2020, 11:43Don't forget to remove the Oil Control Valve before undoing the head bolts.  Engines are fun!

Thanks for tip and luckily i spotted it mentioned on another thread as well so ive got that out already :)

thetyrant

Here we go again  :o , started stripping out the used engine i bought ready to pop in my rebuilt original, lot easier 2nd time around and only an hour to get to this point last night, so much easier now i know how its put together and all bolts come out easily :D

Tags: