Loss of power when accelerating

Started by RubixRonnie, June 20, 2020, 12:12

shnazzle

Quote from: Ardent on June 23, 2020, 22:07not a happy read and feel your frustration/anguish.

The pre cats themselves do not fail. Something further up the food chain has caused them to fail. If that's the case. That doesn't make great reading either.
Not necessarily true. I've had a lengthy discussion with Dick on this over a coffee and scone and he's definitely seen non-oil-burners with fractured pre-cats. 

Slim possibility, and you're most likely right by a fair margin, but being positive;it's just the pre-cats. 

Mind, if the car has been poorly serviced since you let it go, it could be that the main cat is blocked/damaged for other reasons. Running pig rich for an extended period of time doesn't do it any favours.
...neutiquam erro.

RubixRonnie

Appreciate the comments. All will be revealed next Wednesday. It's been serviced according to the book since I let it go, but, the air filter was an absolute mess, so I've got a fair feeling he paid for a stamp :(.
Re-United owner of a beautiful Red 2000 PFL
Rather large sound system
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Ardent

Quote from: RubixRonnie on June 23, 2020, 23:54the air filter was an absolute mess, so I've got a fair feeling he paid for a stamp :(.
Which goes a long way to explaining why we recommend a new owner/member do their own service as soon as.

So starting if it is a blocked cat, there are options. Cataclean, standard replacement cat. Not very expensive. No cat. But mot issues. Shiny super duper Zero exhaust cat. Bit more expensive.

Topdownman

You could unbolt the cat before it and see if that affects the revving.

I wonder if its worth checking the fuel pump filter (the only one in the system) as if thats blocked it may restrict high revs?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

RubixRonnie

All amazing suggestions.
I'm just going to wait it out until next Wednesday but tell the garage all your suggestions. They've got some experience of 2's, so they'll be happy to check the things you guys and gals are suggesting :)
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

I've just had the phonecall from the garage. They have said that there was nothing in the bottom of the cat, great news. But they did say that the pre cats had started to go, but only a very tiny amount. Going to pick it up in an hour or so and will see how it drives back....if it gets back. But its not looking all bad......fingers crossed!
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

Verdict is in.............Pre cats are IN TACT!!!
WAHOO! Over the moon. Drove it back from the garage after letting her warm up properly and no issues with power delivery. Had it through the gears right to the red line and no issue with power delivery there.
Maybe I was just expecting too much from a 21 yr old motor.
3rd gear sitting around 3k revs, foot to the floor, not as much pickup as I remember.
Going to get some Cataclean through it and some Redex.
New oil filter and oil change to come too.

I just think she hasn't been looked after for a while, back in good hands now.
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Chilli Girl

Great news for you. Yes, definite oil and filter change.  These cars like new oil regularly, at least annually!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

If you haven't already.  Remember to clean the maf.

RubixRonnie

Quote from: Ardent on July  1, 2020, 17:17If you haven't already.  Remember to clean the maf.
Yep was the very first thing I did! That definitely improved things, new air filter went in next which improved things a little more and now the precats are out it's given it more room to breathe....and me some peace of mind. I was fearing the worst.
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

Had it (really should name my car) out to the coast today, things still not right.
The pre cats are out so it's not that.
Ordered some Cataclean and Redex last night so it'll go in next week.
I'm thinking maybe a blocked fuel filter and/or defective fuel pump. For the sake of a DIY job and £40 or so it may be worth a shot.
Checked for loose connections, all seems ok.
What does everyone think?

Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Ardent

How are your fuel trims?

Gaz mr-s

Did you understand exactly where the maf sensor is?  And did you check the crank sensor?  Getting into the fuel tank for pump & filter can be a sod. You want to eliminate other things 1st.

RubixRonnie

Quote from: Ardent on July  5, 2020, 15:33How are your fuel trims?
Haven't checked em. Although I'm a previous owner I've still a lot to learn. The last time I had the car it just....worked lol!
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July  5, 2020, 17:29Did you understand exactly where the maf sensor is?  And did you check the crank sensor?  Getting into the fuel tank for pump & filter can be a sod. You want to eliminate other things 1st.
Yes I've had it off and cleaned with carb cleaner (after removing the o ring of course)
Haven't checked the crank sensor, not sure how to do it.
I've been behind the rear bins in the last and it wasn't that difficult really.

Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: RubixRonnie on July  5, 2020, 18:00Did you understand exactly where the maf sensor is?  And did you check the crank sensor?  ]Yes I've had it off and cleaned with carb cleaner (after removing the o ring of course)
Haven't checked the crank sensor, not sure how to do it.
I've been behind the rear bins in the last and it wasn't that difficult really.

So you know that when you remove the maf sensor it is not the 'blob' at the bottom?

The crank sensor is near the front & bottom of the timing cover. You need the car up a height to be able to see it & get a spanner on the bolt. Look for a wire with a ring terminal (I think). It could be corroded. Or possibly loose.

RubixRonnie

I didn't know that no but I took the whole thing off and sprayed the whole unit with cleaner.
Maybe I haven't cleaned my MAF after all haha!
My brother in law has access to a ramp so I'll get it up on there one night next week.
Thanks for the advice
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Gaz mr-s

That's what Ardent was getting at in an earlier post. Look up into the plastic & look for 'wires'. That's the maf sensor.

RubixRonnie

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on July  5, 2020, 19:11That's what Ardent was getting at in an earlier post. Look up into the plastic & look for 'wires'. That's the maf sensor.
Ahh right ok will do cheers.
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

Took it out again tonight after putting some Redex in. Awful! Fuel & oil filters are on order as well as new gearbox and engine oils. I do have a feeling after all this it may be clutch after all. Put it into 3rd cruising at 40, foot down, Rev counter went up and stayed up for a second maybe but no extra power, tried the same thing in 4th at 40, same thing. Not fully gone but seems to be very much on the way out.
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

shnazzle

Quote from: RubixRonnie on July  7, 2020, 20:52Took it out again tonight after putting some Redex in. Awful! Fuel & oil filters are on order as well as new gearbox and engine oils. I do have a feeling after all this it may be clutch after all. Put it into 3rd cruising at 40, foot down, Rev counter went up and stayed up for a second maybe but no extra power, tried the same thing in 4th at 40, same thing. Not fully gone but seems to be very much on the way out.
Didn't want to say anything because usually it is the simple thing but my car was much the same. It felt much snappier after a new clutch.

It was an audible difference mostly. It's hard to explain. When you're pushing it through the gears and on the throttle there's more of a staccato note instead of a slur.
That was my clutch.
...neutiquam erro.

RubixRonnie

Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2020, 21:17
Quote from: RubixRonnie on July  7, 2020, 20:52Took it out again tonight after putting some Redex in. Awful! Fuel & oil filters are on order as well as new gearbox and engine oils. I do have a feeling after all this it may be clutch after all. Put it into 3rd cruising at 40, foot down, Rev counter went up and stayed up for a second maybe but no extra power, tried the same thing in 4th at 40, same thing. Not fully gone but seems to be very much on the way out.
Didn't want to say anything because usually it is the simple thing but my car was much the same. It felt much snappier after a new clutch.

It was an audible difference mostly. It's hard to explain. When you're pushing it through the gears and on the throttle there's more of a staccato note instead of a slur.
That was my clutch.
Did you do it yourself or go to a garage? Got any recommendations. I'm not bad with a spanner but not sure I can be bothered with the chew, just want to enjoy the summer in it!
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

shnazzle

Quote from: RubixRonnie on July  7, 2020, 22:24
Quote from: shnazzle on July  7, 2020, 21:17

That was my clutch.
Did you do it yourself or go to a garage? Got any recommendations. I'm not bad with a spanner but not sure I can be bothered with the chew, just want to enjoy the summer in it!
Did it with @mulaz. Was good fun. Diy doesn't save quite as much as you'd think for how much effort it is, tools you need and things like fluids, seals, lubricants, etc.

Lowest quote I've seen is 265 drive in/out. That's worth it in my opinion.
...neutiquam erro.

RubixRonnie

Owing to my going on holiday next week (Lakes). I've booked the 2 in for a new LUK clutch at my garage of choice. As well as new driveshaft seals and some MT90 into the gearbox for good measure. £350 all in seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Excited to get it back to what I know it can do!
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

RubixRonnie

Just wanted to update everyone who helped me on this, my lovely little 2 is fixed. It was a clutch issue, so had a LUK put in, new driveshaft seals, MT90 gearbox oil replacement, and I had the tracking done too for good measures as it was very skittish above 70, but no longer.
New clutch is like butter and the pickup I remember is back. £380 lighter in my back pocket but worth every penny and done the same day. The guys over at S-Cars are fantastic.
Thanks again to everyone who helped!
Danny
Few extra bits and bobs
Smile machine!
VW Tiguan is the DD

Tags: