1zz strip and rebuild

Started by thetyrant, June 23, 2020, 07:18

shnazzle

That's quite a difference on the seats. Again... Another picture that makes me want to rip my engine to bits
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Indeed and was interesting how bad the exhaust valves and seats looked (pic is of an intake didnt get a good one of exh) but they didnt leak on petrol test, intake by comparison looked reasonable but they were leaking, hopefully now they will all seal.

Hoping to get head dropped off for skimming next few days then i can get it back and pop valves back in.

Yesterday i didnt do massive amount on it, honed out cylinders which went ok once i got back into the knack of speed of drill rotation and movement in and out the bores, got a decent enough 30-40degree crosshatch but will probably give them another quick hone before pistons go in.

Cleaned up the timing chain cover inside and out and looks lot better, need to get some sealant ordered any tips on good one for this ?

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on June 29, 2020, 08:02Indeed and was interesting how bad the exhaust valves and seats looked (pic is of an intake didnt get a good one of exh) but they didnt leak on petrol test, intake by comparison looked reasonable but they were leaking, hopefully now they will all seal.

Hoping to get head dropped off for skimming next few days then i can get it back and pop valves back in.

Yesterday i didnt do massive amount on it, honed out cylinders which went ok once i got back into the knack of speed of drill rotation and movement in and out the bores, got a decent enough 30-40degree crosshatch but will probably give them another quick hone before pistons go in.

Cleaned up the timing chain cover inside and out and looks lot better, need to get some sealant ordered any tips on good one for this ?

Dirko Elring grey.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

thetyrant

Lots arrived today :)  Pistons back from modification (thanks C) and the gasket kit with head bolts...ive also got a new Toyota head gasket and few other bits coming from M1tch on here :D

Dropped the head off last night so should have that back by weekend so time to start putting things back together :D

thetyrant

Head collected last night freshly skimmed :)  i just need to give it a good clean down and its ready to start building back up, guy that did the job said it was very good and didnt really need doing but until you start the machine you dont know, no matter im just happy its bob on now.

New Toyota head gasket and few others bits including Dirko sealant turned up yesterday so i have everything now to start the build, busy weekend ahead i think!

Pic of skimmed head below...

You cannot view this attachment.

thetyrant

Busy morning cleaning out the bores and getting new rings on modded pistons, got everything sorted and pistons back in the engine and torqued up :D  cleaned up sump face and block so that is ready to go back on but going to leave it until after head is on i think.

Time for some food now then im back at this afternoon to wash out head and get valves back in etc, might get it on the block tomorrow and i can start checking valve clearances, im hoping the little amount of lapping ive done will of got them into spec as was very slightly noisy before so couple must of been out of spec, i check a couple when i was doing stem seals but not all so will do that this time, may need some from bucket bank yet!

Pic below of pistons before and after mods...

Oil holes before..

Oil holes after...

Carolyn

It's a lot easier to do the clearances while the head is on the bench. A couple of wood blocks, so the valves don't foul on the bench, put the cams in and rotate and measure to your heart's content. All without having to position pistons.

I can get buckets to you in fairly short order.  I'd be surprised if lapping takes up the slop!

thetyrant

Quote from: Carolyn on July  4, 2020, 13:47It's a lot easier to do the clearances while the head is on the bench. A couple of wood blocks, so the valves don't foul on the bench, put the cams in and rotate and measure to your heart's content. All without having to position pistons.

I can get buckets to you in fairly short order.  I'd be surprised if lapping takes up the slop!

OK thanks :), im a bit short of suitable bench space so probably do it once bolted on the block but without chains on and pistons all in mid stroke so plenty of room and easier to hold everything for me.

Got the Head all built up this afternoon and ready to fit so that is tomorrows job, along with checking valve clearances which if they turn out to be ok will continue bolting it all together :D

thetyrant

Head on and torqued down, had a small panic moment as came to use my new spline bit to start tightening head bolts and being a short version (goes into a 12mm to 1/2" drive adaptor)  it wouldnt fit down in the space on the head for central bolts!, one i borrowed to remove head was a long spline bit so had no issues with that!, quick look in sockets and had a slimmer 12mm socket that did fit in space available thankfully, also lucky it was on first 2 bolts where access is tight and not part way through the torque sequence.

Cams in and valve clearances checked and they are all within spec thankfully so no need to change any buckets, will see how it sounds once running as im sure it was slightly louder topend wise compared to used engine ive fitted on cold starts, i guess clearances could be too tight on that one though which isnt good either.

Time to get cam chain on then i can torque down cam caps and get the chain cover on and sealed, hopefully by end of today engine will be all sealed up and ready to swap it back in car!

thetyrant

Thats it all buttoned up and ready to go in car :D   been a busy but productive day and managed to find homes for all the bolts and brackets i had in my plastic tubs which is a bonus!  Still need to pick up a new water pump and swap it with old one i refitted for now so i could get chain cover clamped down and sealed.

Fitted new inlet manifold gasket from the kit i got before refitting and it was long overdue! one that came off car was flush with manifold and looks to of been leaking so glad to get that changed as well as other seals in that area from the kit.

Now i just need to motivate myself to get car back in garage and start stripping it down ready to swap motors over... again!

thetyrant

Ok after a long day i got all bits swapped over onto the rebuilt engine then mated to gearbox and lifted into car, wound her over quite a bit with coils and injectors disconnected to get some oil circulating around before starting it, once i reconnected everything she fired right up and is running like a dream so far with no blue smoke! :D.....took an age to burp the cooling system but finally just got it burped then called it a day as im starving!

Tomorrow i just need to refit bumper and lights etc then i can get out and click a few miles on there to get it nicely run in :D

Carolyn

Quote from: thetyrant on July 11, 2020, 19:57Ok after a long day i got all bits swapped over onto the rebuilt engine then mated to gearbox and lifted into car, wound her over quite a bit with coils and injectors disconnected to get some oil circulating around before starting it, once i reconnected everything she fired right up and is running like a dream so far with no blue smoke! :D.....took an age to burp the cooling system but finally just got it burped then called it a day as im starving!

Tomorrow i just need to refit bumper and lights etc then i can get out and click a few miles on there to get it nicely run in :D

Great job!  Well done, Ian.

jvanzyl

thetyrant

30 miles on it this morning round the back lanes, plenty of rev variation and engine braking to help bed the rings using most of the rev range but no hard loads and as little idling as possible, i must say that so far its a peach running nice/ quiet/smooth and power feels good although not given it a full throttle blast yet, will wait till ive a few more miles and i change oil again before caning it too much. No signs of blue smoke or any other colour either which is main thing :D

Burped coolant again when i got back to do spanner check and little more air came out so will keep an eye on that, temp was sitting around 90-92c most of time i was out once warmed up but was "using the revs" and its a hot day so probably about right.

Spanner check completed with nothing falling off or leaking, front tub and spare wheel refitted now just having a brew before heading out for some more miles :)

kwnelson

So Ian,  Are You going to keep the engine stock, flog this 2, and get a 2zz to modify?  Don't think you're going just stand still.  Give us an insite to the future, but whatever keep up the good work and excellent updates.
Silver FL 2004 bog standard with TTE,.   H/T On    S/T Perfect

shnazzle

Really enjoyed following your progress Ian. 
I know where to go locally to help with my engine rebuild in the future ;)
...neutiquam erro.

thetyrant

Quote from: kwnelson on July 12, 2020, 15:11So Ian,  Are You going to keep the engine stock, flog this 2, and get a 2zz to modify?  Don't think you're going just stand still.  Give us an insite to the future, but whatever keep up the good work and excellent updates.

Probably leave it stock for rest of year and just enjoy not having to worry about it so much!, i will try and get my stainless rear silencer fitted to make it sound a bit more sporty and hopefully its not too loud, it was pretty quiet on the turbo as you heard at Croft but could be very different without the snail in the gas stream. I would like to explore another turbo or maybe supercharger over winter but we will see :D 

thetyrant

Quote from: shnazzle on July 12, 2020, 15:30Really enjoyed following your progress Ian.
I know where to go locally to help with my engine rebuild in the future ;)

Glad you enjoyed it fella :D   im no expert but happy to assist if i can when you get to the rebuild :)

thetyrant

Had a good few hours in car today and now just over 110 miles and still running like a dream with no smoke :D  will get oil changed in next couple of days and then get some more miles on ready for my next event which is the Javelin sprint at 3sisters in Wigan on 1st of August, should be nicely run in by then :)

thetyrant

Clicked up 189 miles now since rebuild so dropped the oil and changed filter, old oil was still nice and golden and pulled a magnet through it but nothing stuck on it so all good :D  fresh same spec semi synth oil in and will start working the car a bit harder, rings will probably be as bedded as they are gona get but few more revs wont hurt :D

thetyrant

Just clocked up 500 miles since the rebuild and still running sweetly with no oil usage so far :), this weekend i will drop the oil/filter again and get the proper fully synth in there with a new filter then we are ready for track outing weekend after :D

thetyrant

Dropped the oil again today after further 385 miles since 1st change (575 total) same amount came out as went in and lovely golden colour with no debris in there :D, i had enough left of the semi synth for another change so used that again and will switch to fully synth next time.

Im on track next saturday for my 1st sprint of the year with Javelin at 3sisters in Wigan, i was going to put fully synth in for it but as its a short track and just a sprint so maybe 8-10 laps all day i think the semi will cope ok.

If that all goes ok will be starting to piece together a turbo setup :D

thetyrant

Just over 900 miles on it now including a brisk few hundred motorways miles to and from a short sprint event at 3sisters track, all good with oil still full and golden also no smoking :D 

Time to switch to fully synthetic ready for next track outing which is probably Croft at end of September, this will be a harder on car than 3sisters which is only a short twisty 2nd/3rd gear circuit.

m1tch

Quote from: thetyrant on August  7, 2020, 09:53Just over 900 miles on it now including a brisk few hundred motorways miles to and from a short sprint event at 3sisters track, all good with oil still full and golden also no smoking :D 

Time to switch to fully synthetic ready for next track outing which is probably Croft at end of September, this will be a harder on car than 3sisters which is only a short twisty 2nd/3rd gear circuit.

I must say with my rebuilt engine so far, its really nice to know that the oil stays in the engine rather than being burnt!

thetyrant

Quote from: m1tch on August  7, 2020, 14:20I must say with my rebuilt engine so far, its really nice to know that the oil stays in the engine rather than being burnt!

Absolutely its a pleasant change than im not having to keep checking/topping it up :D    roll on turbo power for both of us :)

Tags: