1zz strip and rebuild

Started by thetyrant, June 23, 2020, 07:18

m1tch

Quote from: thetyrant on August  7, 2020, 14:41
Quote from: m1tch on August  7, 2020, 14:20I must say with my rebuilt engine so far, its really nice to know that the oil stays in the engine rather than being burnt!

Absolutely its a pleasant change than im not having to keep checking/topping it up :D    roll on turbo power for both of us :)

I am currently only losing oil from the Moroso sump lol

Will let you know when I add boost, although with the JUBU 3rd and 4th it already sounds like a whipple supercharger!

thetyrant

Quote from: m1tch on August  7, 2020, 15:55I am currently only losing oil from the Moroso sump lol

Will let you know when I add boost, although with the JUBU 3rd and 4th it already sounds like a whipple supercharger!

Standard problem it seems getting those Moroso sumps to seal which is bit annoying considering what they cost, hopefully its a simple fix for you as they latest version is meant to be a lot more oil tight than earlier ones!
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

thetyrant

Ok now at 1075 miles since rebuild and another 500 miles on since last oil change so ive just dropped the oil and removed filter, again oil still golden and same amount came out as went in so im calling this a success now :)

Refilled with my more usual Castrol Edge 5w30 Fully synth and a new filter so ready for rest of the years motoring i hope :)

All in all happy with where im at and total cost of the rebuild came to approx £300, this includes getting pistons modded, new rings, new top end gaskets, new head bolts, skimmed the head and also brand new clutch and water pump, + a fair few hours of my time of course but i wont bill myself for that :D

I still have the 76k mile used engine i bought from DS and it owes me £150 (partial refund) so if anyone wants it let me know, otherwise i will get it stripped down and look to rebuild it as a spare or to sell.

Let see how she goes on the more slippy fully synthetic oil, ive had bikes in past that used a little oil on fully synth  but not on semi synth so will be interesting to see if this is the same, hopefully not and i can stop worrying about checking the oil so often with the nasty to read dipstick!  :D

thetyrant

Ok thought i would strip down this spare engine ive got to see what it needs, got it all apart today and bearings and bores look good and serviceable, pistons in pretty good shape as well just oil rings gummed but other than that all good and fit for a rebuild :)

Will order some parts and get it all built back up, if anyone is looking for a freshend up 1zz get in touch :D

Pic of todays progress :D

You cannot view this attachment.

AdamR28

Sounds like a good job well done! Interested to hear how you get on with the full synth, I've always used it in engines designed for semi with no issues, so hope you find the same.

thetyrant

Quote from: AdamR28 on August 23, 2020, 14:05Sounds like a good job well done! Interested to hear how you get on with the full synth, I've always used it in engines designed for semi with no issues, so hope you find the same.

So far so good on the fully synth, runs even smoother quieter and no signs of oil smoke or usage at the moment :)

thetyrant

Over 2000 miles on the rebuilt unit in my car now (last 1000 on fully synth oil) including 2 sprint events on track, still no oil used :D

Need to get on with sorting this spare engine which has been on hold as DPD lost the package with pistons/rods on the return journey to me after Carolyn had modded the oil holes etc :(  ive been holding out in hope they turn up in lost property but looks like they are gone for ever!

Carolyn very kindly supplied me a replacement set so i can now get on with the build, as promised donation to the club made for helping me out :D

Ive got the head skimmed and just need to remove valves to clean those up and lap in before fitting new stem seals, once thats done i can move onto bottom end but ive just got to get some new big end shells as originals were lost with DPD, once i have those its time fit/measure then clean up everything and get it bolted back together so i can get it out the garage and start on turbo setup on my car :D

AdamR28

Look forward to hearing about the progress!

J11 next year for you then Ian?

thetyrant

Quote from: AdamR28 on October 12, 2020, 09:42Look forward to hearing about the progress!

J11 next year for you then Ian?

J7 i would think if turbo goes to plan,  adding turbo puts capacity up 40% with Javelin so will be in the over 2litre class/sub 250hp class which will be a challenge!  but at least i can do more mods if i wish :)

FredyCro

Great read thanyou for a great effort! Is the 2nd 1zz engine still available? Mine is consuming oil like crazy :(
IG: optimal_zzw30

thetyrant

Quote from: FredyCro on December 13, 2020, 20:27Great read thanyou for a great effort! Is the 2nd 1zz engine still available? Mine is consuming oil like crazy :(

Ive not finished building up the 2nd engine but hoping to get it done when im off over christmas, reminds me i need to order some new head bolts as think thats last thing i need for the build :)

OggyAv8or

Great Post, I wish I had the ability to do the same. I have seen plenty of engines for sale but would rather see this level of care applied to any engine I fit in mine.

moca2cv

Just the thread I needed to read! Thanks! Hoping to build a 'fresh' motor for my incoming Crower cams. Might as well make the most of them.
Quick question on the head skim - I thought this wasn't advisable due to the chain and getting it all timed up, but saw you did it - I'm guessing it wasn't much of a skim but how far could one go in theory? Any extra compression helps 😁

thetyrant

Quote from: moca2cv on February 15, 2021, 00:45Just the thread I needed to read! Thanks! Hoping to build a 'fresh' motor for my incoming Crower cams. Might as well make the most of them.
Quick question on the head skim - I thought this wasn't advisable due to the chain and getting it all timed up, but saw you did it - I'm guessing it wasn't much of a skim but how far could one go in theory? Any extra compression helps 😁

Skimming head isnt an issue as chain tensioner has plenty of scope for a minimal drop in head position due to skim, we only just kissed it with the skimming to clean up face and i think 2-3 thou was all he took off thickness so practically nothing :D

Hopefully weather is going to warm up a bit now then i can get back in garage and finish assembly on this 2nd engine so someone else can enjoy a non-burning motor :D

thetyrant

Just dropped the oil again in prep for trackday next week, starting to look a bit darker but has done approx 3000 since last change and just over 4000 since rebuild, same amount came out as went in so all good :D

Tags: