Are NGK BKR5EYA-11 still the de facto choice?

Started by Ac1962, July 24, 2020, 14:41

Ac1962

or,,,,,is there a better plug to consider?
Following my momentous success with the chain tensioner oil seal replacement and the MAF O ring, i have decided to extend my technical repetoire skills and replace the spark plugs.
If i master this, i might push the boundaries further and look at swapping out the PFL side vents for FL vents, - that however would require meticulous planning on my side, copious 4 packs of lager and the barby fired up in readiness to feed the countless helpers i will need.
So, back to the question - best plugs to use please??

Carolyn

Quote from: Ac1962 on July 24, 2020, 14:41or,,,,,is there a better plug to consider?
Following my momentous success with the chain tensioner oil seal replacement and the MAF O ring, i have decided to extend my technical repetoire skills and replace the spark plugs.
If i master this, i might push the boundaries further and look at swapping out the PFL side vents for FL vents, - that however would require meticulous planning on my side, copious 4 packs of lager and the barby fired up in readiness to feed the countless helpers i will need.
Stick with those plugs, they do the job just fine.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Thats what I used.
At less than a tenner delivered. I change them every year as part of a service.

shnazzle

Yup. Themz the boys. Or the Denso equivalent.
No real reason to do anything else.
...neutiquam erro.

paulj

Changing the side vents is relatively easy (compared to chain tensioner). Just need to pop the old one off and replace with new. When you pop the old one off you will probably bust all the old plastic clips, but you can get new ones cheap enough on tinternet
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

ManInDandism

Quote from: Ardent on July 24, 2020, 14:50Thats what I used.

I thought that they could go 60,000 miles? 

Changed once during the ownership of my car - not rushing to do them again if there's no actual benefit to doing so. 
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

shnazzle

Quote from: ManInDandism on July 24, 2020, 20:45
Quote from: Ardent on July 24, 2020, 14:50Thats what I used.

I thought that they could go 60,000 miles? 

Changed once during the ownership of my car - not rushing to do them again if there's no actual benefit to doing so. 
I had an mr2 once that had an air filter that had actual life growing on it, that's how much crap it has on/in it. The oil was thick, black and stinking. The spark plug gaps were massive and the electrodes were shot.

Car still ran. Did a hard run in it across the moors. 
Pulled hard. 

But, obviously, it ran MUCH better, cleaner and nicer once I serviced it for the first time in years. 

For the sake of 12 quid and a set of feeler gauge to ensure that the new plugs are indeed 1.1mm (I found brand new ones at 1.4mm once), having fresh sparks that ensure a nice clean burn if all else is optimal... Worth it no? 

I find changing sparks easier than changing the air filter.
...neutiquam erro.

Ardent

Pure decadence on my part I'm afraid.

But it does give me a little insight into how things are running inside.

Even by my level of spanner spinning, not exactly a big job.

Ardent

Joesson

Quote from: Ardent on July 24, 2020, 21:02Pure decadence on my part I'm afraid.

But it does give me a little insight into how things are running inside.

Even by my level of spanner spinning, not exactly a big job.

Inspecting the condition of the spark plugs was the thing to do in the days of carburettors and car maintenance magazines, often pictures of the good, the bad, and the ugly and was/ is " a little insight into how things are running inside".

Ac1962

Quote from: Carolyn on July 24, 2020, 14:50
Quote from: Ac1962 on July 24, 2020, 14:41or,,,,,is there a better plug to consider?
Hmmmm ok, i think i might just have to try the alternate though just to see, i notice the DENSO K16TT iridium twin tip are quoted as equivalent and for the 1ZZ and may give better combustion efficiency. And,,,£4 cheaper lol. Worth a punt?

Joesson

Quote from: Ac1962 on July 25, 2020, 12:10
Quote from: Carolyn on July 24, 2020, 14:50
Hmmmm ok, i think i might just have to try the alternate though just to see, i notice the DENSO K16TT iridium twin tip are quoted as equivalent and for the 1ZZ and may give better combustion efficiency. And,,,£4 cheaper lol. Worth a punt?

If they aren't so good the £4 saving can be used for the extra fuel to compensate for the reduced efficiency.

😉

Ardent

£4 cheaper than what?
Where are you getting iridiums for £1 each?

Tags: