Whining noise

Started by Nvy, July 29, 2020, 08:59

Nvy

I am having some noise for a while now. It can be best described as driving a car with straight cut gears. It is in the low revs up to 2600 rpms and then disappears. More noisy when cold in the morning.

Things replaced:
1. Belt tensioner.
2. Oil tensioner.
3. Alternator.
4. Idler pulley.
5. Water pump 5k km ago.
6. Belt 5k km ago.
7. Gearbox with a second hand one, filled with good fluid. The noise was there prior to gearbox replacement.

Car is lowered on MeisterRs if that matters.

Any ideas what to look for?

Ardent

What tyres are on it?
Had something similar on a different car. Sounded like all bearings were shot. Though don't recall being rev specific.

Carolyn

Was it there before you replaced the oil tensioner?
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 29, 2020, 09:23Was it there before you replaced the oil tensioner?

Yes. The noise persist through all of the above replacements.

Nvy

Quote from: Ardent on July 29, 2020, 09:15What tyres are on it?
Had something similar on a different car. Sounded like all bearings were shot. Though don't recall being rev specific.

I have it on both of my tires sets - Advans and Winter tires.

Carolyn

Do you have a stethoscope?

Does it whine when stationary?

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 29, 2020, 09:53Do you have a stethoscope?

I dont have a stethoscope but can get one if necessary.

While stationary idling it doesnt make the noise, also when revving no noise. When on the lift and into gear revving no noise. It does it only when on the ground while driving, when there is load on the wheels.

Can it be that the car is too low and the driveshafts are making noise? The wheel bearings are all replaced too, all 4 corners.

Carolyn

Bloody hell - most of the car is brand new!!

Drive shafts or brakes.... I had a whine that pretty much fitted that description a few years ago.  Turned out a pad wear indicator at the back was starting to touch the brake disc.

Topdownman

Could it be a rusted disc protector plate catching somewhere?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 29, 2020, 10:08Bloody hell - most of the car is brand new!!

Drive shafts or brakes.... I had a whine that pretty much fitted that description a few years ago.  Turned out a pad wear indicator at the back was starting to touch the brake disc.

Brakes all new too, sloted discs + yellow stuff pads. I could try to remove the boots from the shafts and re grease them to see if thats gonna help.

Like you said all of the suspension and the brakes + bearings were changed so the only thing left are the driveshafts.

Nvy

Quote from: Topdownman on July 29, 2020, 11:10Could it be a rusted disc protector plate catching somewhere?

Will check them out tonight, last time when the car was in the air seemed fine.

Ardent

Not sure it matches your situation,  but I recall some slotted discs made odd noises, but that was more speed related not revs.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 10:02

While stationary idling it doesnt make the noise, also when revving no noise. When on the lift and into gear revving no noise. It does it only when on the ground while driving, when there is load on the wheels.

Can it be that the car is too low and the driveshafts are making noise? The wheel bearings are all replaced too, all 4 corners.

Drive shaft bearings aren't eternal, in the early days of front wheel drive I recall  particularly the Austin 1800's stranded with one front wheel outside the bodywork.
My 2002, 2 started to leak fluid from the drive shaft boots at around 60k. What I found in there was liquid, no longer the grease that was put in there when assembled.
I had not heard a noise, but perhaps caught the problem in time.

PS.
What is / where is an "Oil tensioner"?

shnazzle

Quote from: Joesson on July 29, 2020, 13:21

Drive shaft bearings aren't eternal, in the early days of front wheel drive I recall  particularly the Austin 1800's stranded with one front wheel outside the bodywork.
My 2002, 2 started to leak fluid from the drive shaft boots at around 60k. What I found in there was liquid, no longer the grease that was put in there when assembled.

PS.
Guessing he means timing chain tensioner :) I guess it does work on oil pressure to release haha. 

Helen's old car had this noise as well. And mine has it on overrun a bit. Her's didn't have slotted/drilled discs, just plain. So that's not it
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Thanks for the suggestion @shnazzle.
In the days of vee belts I saw a mechanic check out a "noise" by trickling water onto the vee belt, the noise stopped, problem resolved.
The auxiliary drive belt and related pulleys are today's equivalent of the vee belt and I suggest as close as you'll get to "straight cut gears" on a 2.
I doubt that a trickle of water onto the belt would damage anything and just may help, or at least eliminate, one source.

Topdownman

Could worn engine mounts allow movement/vibration?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Nvy

Quote from: Topdownman on July 29, 2020, 13:57Could worn engine mounts allow movement/vibration?

Mine are filled with poly and I do have the vibration but I dont mind it. Just try to watch a video with a straight dog box gears but in low rps. It almost sounds like a root style supercharger.

Nvy

Quote from: shnazzle on July 29, 2020, 13:37

PS.
Guessing he means timing chain tensioner :) I guess it does work on oil pressure to release haha.

Helen's old car had this noise as well. And mine has it on overrun a bit. Her's didn't have slotted/drilled discs, just plain. So that's not it

Are your cars lowered on coilovers? I recall reading something about early years driveshafts(dont remember exactly what) and the guys were recommending re greasing to stop some kind of noise. Im afraid that the car is lowered too much because the guys who got the coils on didnt set the ride height the same as the TTE suspension.

Nvy

Quote from: Joesson on July 29, 2020, 13:55Thanks for the suggestion @shnazzle.
In the days of vee belts I saw a mechanic check out a "noise" by trickling water onto the vee belt, the noise stopped, problem resolved.
The auxiliary drive belt and related pulleys are today's equivalent of the vee belt and I suggest as close as you'll get to "straight cut gears" on a 2.
I doubt that a trickle of water onto the belt would damage anything and just may help, or at least eliminate, one source.

So the suggestion is to spray the belt with some water? It could stop any noise caused by slipping.

Nvy

Maybe after the driveshafts I could check the power steering pump and AC? Are these known to go bad and how one would sound?

Nvy

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:10Maybe after the driveshafts I could check the power steering pump and AC? Are these known to go bad and how one would sound?

These are the last not replaced things in the belt. I could try to remove the belt and drive the car but I dont have lift at home so its gonna be tricky to get it back on.

Carolyn

Power steering is electric, in the front, not on the belt.

With the symptoms you're describing, (only under power and moving) I think you can discount the A/C.

I doubt it is anything belt related.

More likely driveshafts or running gear.

Removing the big steel bands on the boots will let you clean and re-grease (which is never a bad idea, as dirty brownish white goop tends to be where black graphite grease should be).

You can  buy replacement bands and a tool to put them on for not much dosh.

Getting the belt on from above is very doable.

shnazzle

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:07
Quote from: shnazzle on July 29, 2020, 13:37

PS.

Are your cars lowered on coilovers? I recall reading something about early years driveshafts(dont remember exactly what) and the guys were recommending re greasing to stop some kind of noise. Im afraid that the car is lowered too much because the guys who got the coils on didnt set the ride height the same as the TTE suspension.
Both lowered. Her's on TTE springs and mine on BC coilovers, a fair bit lower than the TTE springs. So I don't think it's that
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:09
Quote from: Joesson on July 29, 2020, 13:55Thanks for the suggestion @shnazzle.

So the suggestion is to spray the belt with some water? It could stop any noise caused by slipping.

More a trickle, for example, with engine running put a drinking straw into a container of water and put your finger at the top end of the straw.
Be aware of moving parts.
Point the straw where you want the water to fall and release your finger.
It would stop or alter the noise of the belt contacting the pulleys and so you would hear if that was the source of your problem.
Not a cure just a possible help with a diagnosis.

PS
Sorry, just noticed that the noise is there only when being driven so the above would not help.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:14
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:10Maybe after the driveshafts I could check the power steering pump and AC? Are these known to go bad and how one would sound?

These are the last not replaced things in the belt. I could try to remove the belt and drive the car but I dont have lift at home so its gonna be tricky to get it back on.
As Carolyn said removing the auxiliary belt from above with car on the ground is doable, must be, I managed, but did find that I needed another pair of hands to move the tensioner while I put the belt on. Also prudent to make a sketch of the belt and pulley positions before taking the belt off.

Tags: