Whining noise

Started by Nvy, July 29, 2020, 08:59

Carolyn

Quote from: Joesson on July 29, 2020, 16:36
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:14
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:10Maybe after the driveshafts I could check the power steering pump and AC? Are these known to go bad and how one would sound?

These are the last not replaced things in the belt. I could try to remove the belt and drive the car but I dont have lift at home so its gonna be tricky to get it back on.
As Carolyn said removing the auxiliary belt from above with car on the ground is doable, must be, I managed, but did find that I needed another pair of hands to move the tensioner while I put the belt on. Also prudent to make a sketch of the belt and pulley positions before taking the belt off.

there's a trick for doing it one-handed in the 'howto'.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Petrus

Is it always with a passenger?   O:-)

Joesson

Quote from: Carolyn on July 29, 2020, 17:19
Quote from: Joesson on July 29, 2020, 16:36
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:14
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 14:10Maybe after the driveshafts I could check the power steering pump and AC? Are these known to go bad and how one would sound?

These are the last not replaced things in the belt. I could try to remove the belt and drive the car but I dont have lift at home so its gonna be tricky to get it back on.
As Carolyn said removing the auxiliary belt from above with car on the ground is doable, must be, I managed, but did find that I needed another pair of hands to move the tensioner while I put the belt on. Also prudent to make a sketch of the belt and pulley positions before taking the belt off.

there's a trick for doing it one-handed in the 'howto'.

Unfortunately my "troubles" came before your helpful advice Carolyn!

normanh

I think I am right in saying that grooved discs are handed - have you installed them correctly?

Norman

BahnStormer

Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 08:59I am having some noise for a while now. It can be best described as driving a car with straight cut gears. It is in the low revs up to 2600 rpms and then disappears. More noisy when cold in the morning.

Things replaced:
1. Belt tensioner.
2. Oil tensioner.
3. Alternator.
4. Idler pulley.
5. Water pump 5k km ago.
6. Belt 5k km ago.
7. Gearbox with a second hand one, filled with good fluid. The noise was there prior to gearbox replacement.

Car is lowered on MeisterRs if that matters.

Any ideas what to look for?

I had a similar problem... Dare I ask if you have a passenger? I found if I leave mine at home to look after the kids, the whining stops....
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

BahnStormer

Quote from: BahnStormer on July 29, 2020, 19:58
Quote from: Nvy on July 29, 2020, 08:59I am having some noise for a while now. It can be best described as driving a car with straight cut gears. It is in the low revs up to 2600 rpms and then disappears. More noisy when cold in the morning.

Things replaced:
1. Belt tensioner.
2. Oil tensioner.
3. Alternator.
4. Idler pulley.
5. Water pump 5k km ago.
6. Belt 5k km ago.
7. Gearbox with a second hand one, filled with good fluid. The noise was there prior to gearbox replacement.

Car is lowered on MeisterRs if that matters.

Any ideas what to look for?

I had a similar problem... Dare I ask if you have a passenger? I found if I leave mine at home to look after the kids, the whining stops....

Feeeling brave... she doesn't even know this forum exists :D
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Nvy

What about the half shaft? It should have bearing in there right?

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on July 30, 2020, 08:01What about the half shaft? It should have bearing in there right?

Do you mean the carrier bearing (bolted to the engine)?

That could be failing, I have not come across such a failure but I see no reason why not - it's a bearing. As such failure is rare, I suspect you could get one from a breaker and it would be fine.

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on July 30, 2020, 08:52
Quote from: Nvy on July 30, 2020, 08:01What about the half shaft? It should have bearing in there right?

That could be failing, I have not come across such a failure but I see no reason why not - it's a bearing. As such failure is rare, I suspect you could get one from a breaker and it would be fine.

Yeah, I mean that one, I saw on youtube some mic thing that the guy was using to diagnose wheel bearing noise. I will check whats available and if I can justify the price will go for it.

Joesson

Quote from: Nvy on July 30, 2020, 09:02
Quote from: Carolyn on July 30, 2020, 08:52

Yeah, I mean that one, I saw on youtube some mic thing that the guy was using to diagnose wheel bearing noise. I will check whats available and if I can justify the price will go for it.

Using "some mic" to diagnose wheel bearing noise intrigued / amused me.
I found a YouTube clip of a "Steelman" device " for a hundred bucks! that apparently determined which of left side or right side front wheel bearing was faulty.
Seems a long way from the wheel bearings I am more familiar with, they were not the sealed for life units of today, they had an inner and outer and ball bearings between and could be adjusted. Testing was by rocking the elevated wheel and spinning it to listen for a broken ball.
I would think that rocking and spinning an elevated wheel on a modern car would be a lower cost option to determine the state of a wheel bearing than a hundred buck/ $100 gadget that would spend the rest of its life on the shelf.

As has  been highlighted on here several times, the difficult part of car mechanics/  repairs is diagnosis and that ability comes with experience.
That is why, for non professionals, a forum such as this, where the collective experience of many and some / one in particular is such a benefit.
But the proviso is that diagnosis at a distance is even more difficult and requires a methodical approach and working through the possibilities, from simplest/ most obvious to the most difficult / obscure.

Nvy

Is it normal for the idler pulley to have play? Can post video later.

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on August  2, 2020, 19:17Is it normal for the idler pulley to have play? Can post video later.

No, it should not have any play. Maybe you've found your whine??

Nvy

Quote from: Carolyn on August  2, 2020, 19:57
Quote from: Nvy on August  2, 2020, 19:17Is it normal for the idler pulley to have play? Can post video later.

No, it should not have any play. Maybe you've found your whine??

I think so, ill try to replace it later this week. Here is a video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FTDFXO_PFbnriusi9NHnMXHQrh2gIo5S/view?usp=sharing

Nvy

@Carolyn Any tips for removing the idler pulley, the bolt seems quite rusty and I am afraid not to break it.

Carolyn

It's pretty robust.

Give it a spray and let it sit for a while- then go for it!

spanner on both ends.

Nvy

The new pulley has the same play like the old one. Replaced pulley plus belt, the noise is still there (facepalm)

Nvy

@Carolyn Can I spray WD40 in the half shaft bearing to check if the noise is going to change?

Carolyn

Quote from: Nvy on August  7, 2020, 11:46@Carolyn Can I spray WD40 in the half shaft bearing to check if the noise is going to change?
See no reason why not.

Gregmorse

I think i had a similar thing to what you're describing - when i first test drove the car it sounded like a turbo spooling up/alternator whine. I upgraded my exhaust etc aswell which sort of drowned out the noise.
Within the last month though, my waterpump started leaking, since changing this, I havent been able to hear the whine at all.

Tags: