Exhausts?

Started by treeroy, September 4, 2020, 16:48

treeroy

Hi there. I would like to add some sound to my stock engine.

What options have people gone for with exhausts? I've driven an MR2 before that had some quad exhaust (looked ridiculous) and it was too quiet, I want something with a bit of shoutiness to it.

I was thinking of getting a custom one done like e.g. Tony Banks Exhausts but they quoted £500 which seems quite a lot for a catback (I could be wrong)

The only one on ebay is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK3-ROADSTER-SPYDER-RACE-CAT-BACK-BACK-BOX-SPORTS-EXHAUST/274436520069
This seems to be a Malian exhaust, when googling it I don't get much other than a few negative / mixed reviews.

Suggestions?
Thanks.

Joesson

Quote from: treeroy on September  4, 2020, 16:48Hi there. I would like to add some sound to my stock engine.

What options have people gone for with exhausts? I've driven an MR2 before that had some quad exhaust (looked ridiculous) and it was too quiet, I want something with a bit of shoutiness to it.

I was thinking of getting a custom one done like e.g. Tony Banks Exhausts but they quoted £500 which seems quite a lot for a catback (I could be wrong)

The only one on ebay is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR2-MK3-ROADSTER-SPYDER-RACE-CAT-BACK-BACK-BOX-SPORTS-EXHAUST/274436520069
This seems to be a Malian exhaust, when googling it I don't get much other than a few negative / mixed reviews.

Suggestions?
Thanks.

@Ardent recently fitted one, there is a thread about the purchase, fitting and result. He might pop in and give you an update.

Ardent

Ah yes.

@treeroy
As a new member you cannot view the sales section.

If you could, I would point you towards @Mikeymead tte for sale. Lovely sounding zost.

Mine is in the shed. And not sure whether to keep it or not.

If you dig out my Malian  thread there are some tte sound clips for reference.

I have a straight through Malian, but, I also have a little turbo acting as a silencer, so no idea what it would sound like raw.

Edit
To see sales section. You need 30+ posts. Time to get busy. ;)

jvanzyl

If I were you, I'd get in touch with zero exhausts and ask Kevin to make you one. Going to cost you less than a brand new cobra, way less than a Remus, and be decent.

Added to which you can instantly create loudness by fitting a decat pipe in between MOT's - seriously much louder. Oh and a brand new cobra will definitely sound quieter than an older one as the packing ages..

treeroy

Quote from: Ardent on September  4, 2020, 20:22Ah yes.

@treeroy

If you could, I would point you towards @Mikeymead tte for sale. Lovely sounding zost.

I have a straight through Malian, but, I also have a little turbo acting as a silencer, so no idea what it would sound like raw.

Edit

[/quote
Thanks. Useful to know there is a sales section, I'll get cracking on those posts!

The TTE, I've seen a few people talk about that, is TTE a Toyota sub-brand? / trim level type thing.
I been reading a few threads today about exhausts and some people saying TTE is too quiet. Although I just seen a video of TTE exhaust and it sounds good.

Ardent

I suppose like most things here. It is a subjective thing.

Some find them too loud and intrusive when cruising.

You have found those that think too quiet.

For me, they are just right. My favourite sounding exhaust. Full stop.

If loud is your thing. Have a ferret in the southern belle thread. @Petrus has gone with a bike can. Some sound clips in there somewhere.

Bernie

Quote from: treeroy on September  4, 2020, 20:56
Quote from: Ardent on September  4, 2020, 20:22Ah yes.

@treeroy

Edit

[/quote
Thanks. Useful to know there is a sales section, I'll get cracking on those posts!

The TTE, I've seen a few people talk about that, is TTE a Toyota sub-brand? / trim level type thing.
I been reading a few threads today about exhausts and some people saying TTE is too quiet. Although I just seen a video of TTE exhaust and it sounds good.

TTE was the racing division of Toyota, Toyota Team Europe is now Gazoo Racing Europe they produced many options

You cannot view this attachment.

Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Ardent

Why do I find myself hankering after the handing kit, even though I would not know what to do with it if I had it.

DanRS4x

If you were in Scotland I'd recommend these guys. My car came with their exhaust and it sounds amazing. https://www.stainless-creations.co.uk/
Oscar (the Grouch) named for the grumbly exhaust note
2005 silver HT/AC, Stainless Creations twin exhaust, Tein lowering springs, Ultra Racing front strut brace, Dev's door bushings (more mods to come)

Karthoum

Best option as the others mentioned is to go custom, unless you go for a well known brand that has good customer service (there aren't many of those for our cars).

Pay less for a cheap off the shelf item and you'll pay twice.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Joesson

Out of warranty I guess, which came  first, the hole in the " can" or the separation of the components?

Mikeymead

@treeroy Here is a photo of the TTE I have for sale.

I'm asking £300 for it plus carriage.

It's a good sounding exhaust, about the right noise level, good burble on idle and nice pops on overrun.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

treeroy

Thanks @Bernie for the info about TTE, useful to know

@jvanzyl  thanks for the recommendation of Zero Exhausts. I will contact them for a quote. You mention Cobra, I think the Cobra quad exhaust is the one I've tried and I thought it was too quiet.

Custom was my thinking because there is not much range for the MR2, plus good custom exhaust places can make the exhaust you actually want. Would be crap to spend £400 on exhaust and it be disappointing sound.

@Mikeymead   what material is that made of? TTE is not stainless? Also your location says Bicester by the sea, last time I checked... Bicester is not near a sea lol :)

Mikeymead

Quote from: treeroy on September  5, 2020, 16:48Thanks @Bernie for the info about TTE, useful to know

@jvanzyl  thanks for the recommendation of Zero Exhausts. I will contact them for a quote. You mention Cobra, I think the Cobra quad exhaust is the one I've tried and I thought it was too quiet.

Custom was my thinking because there is not much range for the MR2, plus good custom exhaust places can make the exhaust you actually want. Would be crap to spend £400 on exhaust and it be disappointing sound.

@Mikeymead   what material is that made of? TTE is not stainless? Also your location says Bicester by the sea, last time I checked... Bicester is not near a sea lol :)

Pretty sure it is stainless, when I reconditioned it I replicated the factory finish with the VHT paint on the ends. Yes Bicester is deffo not by the sea, was tongue in cheek.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

treeroy

Quote from: Mikeymead on September  5, 2020, 17:05
Quote from: treeroy on September  5, 2020, 16:48Thanks @Bernie for the info about TTE, useful to know

Pretty sure it is stainless, when I reconditioned it I replicated the factory finish with the VHT paint on the ends. Yes Bicester is deffo not by the sea, was tongue in cheek.

It looks in great condition, I thought it was new judging by the picture.

Other thing swaying me to a custom job is that, if I get a catback system (TTE or alternative) i would still need to pay a garage to fit it. Not sure how easy the job is on an MR2 - is it more difficult than normal? Since you cant just lift the car and swap the exhausts. Got to take bumper off and presumably some other stuff that's structural on the other side of the bumper?

Anyone know how long it would take to change the exhaust?

Definitely don't have the confidence (and probably not the tools) to change the exhaust myself. Although I suppose it's easier on a driveway to get to the bumper, than it is underneath like on most cars....

Mikeymead

Quote from: treeroy on September  5, 2020, 17:13
Quote from: Mikeymead on September  5, 2020, 17:05

It looks in great condition, I thought it was new judging by the picture.

Other thing swaying me to a custom job is that, if I get a catback system (TTE or alternative) i would still need to pay a garage to fit it. Not sure how easy the job is on an MR2 - is it more difficult than normal? Since you cant just lift the car and swap the exhausts. Got to take bumper off and presumably some other stuff that's structural on the other side of the bumper?

Anyone know how long it would take to change the exhaust?

Definitely don't have the confidence (and probably not the tools) to change the exhaust myself. Although I suppose it's easier on a driveway to get to the bumper, than it is underneath like on most cars....

It's quite easy, lights out, bumper off, remove crash bar, top heat shield off and bingo, I swapped my whole system in a morning, okay I was lucky as nothing was seized or broke.

Link to my swap - https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?msg=828340

Ardent

@treeroy

I swapped mine.
And there I'm no spanner spinner.
I Did not remove the crash bar.
Most difficult thing was getting the rubber hanger things off the hooks.

Karthoum

Quote from: Joesson on September  5, 2020, 14:58Out of warranty I guess, which came  first, the hole in the " can" or the separation of the components?

First was the baffles inside, they started rattling awfully. I assume the separation cracks were first but I couldn't exactly see the hole, it was always out of sight for me when I looked at the exhaust even with absolutely all of the heat shielding and nappies gone from the engine bay. It completely fell apart when I decided to take off the exhaust to weld the separation. All of these issues happened in a short time.

Warranty or not, the stock exhaust managed minimum 50x longer distance and who knows how many times it has suffered debilitating heat cycles as I've gone through front brake pads so quickly to a point they were throwing sparks and lighting up the road.

Mikeymead

@treeroy If one of the main reasons for you hesitating buying my TTE exhaust is fitting it then I may be able to help.

If you don't mind driving to my workshop at Kidlington one Sunday I don't mind giving you a hand to fit it, I have all the tools necessary to do this and deal with any problems we may encounter.

Just thought that I'd make the offer.

treeroy

Quote from: Mikeymead on September  6, 2020, 14:22@treeroy If one of the main reasons for you hesitating buying my TTE exhaust is fitting it then I may be able to help.

If you don't mind driving to my workshop at Kidlington one Sunday I don't mind giving you a hand to fit it, I have all the tools necessary to do this and deal with any problems we may encounter.

Just thought that I'd make the offer.

That is a very generous offer, if I were to buy that exhaust then I would take you up on it for sure. You are not too far from me.

I have had a listen to some youtube videos of the TTE and it doesn't seem that loud, how much can you hear from the cabin? I'm conscious that as you have an engine making sound between you and the exhaust in the MR2, you can't necessarily hear the exhaust too well.

As an optional item fitted by Toyota I would not expect it to have a great sound but I could be wrong.

Mikeymead

You can definitely hear it in the cabin, even with a hard top on but it's not so noisy as to become a pain on a longer Journey. To be honest it sounded slightly louder than the system I have now. It's loud enough to bring a smile to your face but not so much as to be anti social. Really depends on what you want.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jvanzyl on September  4, 2020, 20:26If I were you, I'd get in touch with zero exhausts and ask Kevin to make you one. Going to cost you less than a brand new cobra, way less than a Remus, and be decent.

Added to which you can instantly create loudness by fitting a decat pipe in between MOT's - seriously much louder. Oh and a brand new cobra will definitely sound quieter than an older one as the packing ages..
Have you had a price back from Kevin yet? I'd be surprised if his quality cost way less than a Remus? Not to mention a Cobra.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

I've just spent 800 miles following a TTE equipped MR2 round North Wales and they're a beautiful thing to listen to, I can hear it above my set up almost.
If you add some form of induction kit behind the battery you'll increase your noise level even more, if that's your kind of thing...
60% of the time it works everytime...

Ardent

jvanzyl

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September  6, 2020, 20:30
Quote from: jvanzyl on September  4, 2020, 20:26If I were you, I'd get in touch with zero exhausts and ask Kevin to make you one. Going to cost you less than a brand new cobra, way less than a Remus, and be decent.

Have you had a price back from Kevin yet? I'd be surprised if his quality cost way less than a Remus? Not to mention a Cobra.

Yeah they exhaust component for the turbo system came to £350.

Hence my confidence in the price 😁

Tags: