Exhausts?

Started by treeroy, September 4, 2020, 16:48

shnazzle

Quote from: Mikeymead on September 11, 2020, 16:58
Quote from: shnazzle on September 11, 2020, 14:15
Quote from: treeroy on September 11, 2020, 13:15
Quote from: shnazzle on September  7, 2020, 11:46Yes that's the Zero manifold that has been known for quite a while. Added to his arsenal is the 200 cell Magnaflow cat (I believe it's £320).  And, to my knowledge, if you drop by he will make you a backbox but it has to be fitted on the car. He won't make one without the car in shop.

For what it's worth  - just thought i would reply to let you know - that I spoke to Kevin at zero exhausts and asked if you bring a car to him will he do a backbox - and he said no, he is not able to make a backbox on a 1ZZ. Only a 2ZZ swapped mr2.
Huh...

@Mikeymead didn't you just get a backbox from him? Or was it someone else? Someone was saying they got a full system.. I'm obviously wrong.

No I got the opposite, manifold and sport cat,back box is Blitz Nurspec. 
Well then I talka di shiiiita
...neutiquam erro.

InnerStaytes

Quote from: treeroy on September 11, 2020, 13:15
Quote from: shnazzle on September  7, 2020, 11:46Yes that's the Zero manifold that has been known for quite a while. Added to his arsenal is the 200 cell Magnaflow cat (I believe it's £320).  And, to my knowledge, if you drop by he will make you a backbox but it has to be fitted on the car. He won't make one without the car in shop.

For what it's worth  - just thought i would reply to let you know - that I spoke to Kevin at zero exhausts and asked if you bring a car to him will he do a backbox - and he said no, he is not able to make a backbox on a 1ZZ. Only a 2ZZ swapped mr2.

That's interesting. He made a full cat-back exhaust for me and fitted one of his manifolds at the same time. That was 5 years ago mind you, so maybe he has changed his mind. Or maybe he will only make a catback for a 1ZZ if you are having a manifold as well, but I don't think that was his policy 5 years ago.I will drop him an email and ask for clarification.

tom256

Quote from: InnerStaytes on September 11, 2020, 22:42That's interesting. He made a full cat-back exhaust for me and fitted one of his manifolds at the same time. That was 5 years ago mind you, so maybe he has changed his mind. Or maybe he will only make a catback for a 1ZZ if you are having a manifold as well, but I don't think that was his policy 5 years ago.I will drop him an email and ask for clarification.

I send him mail few days ago. He answered that he is working on developing new backbox for MR2.
Toyota MR2 Roadster 2005 TF300 Silver Streak Mica
Team Impul NS-GT2 '17
Zero header + Zero cat + TTE Exhaust
TRD Door Stabilizer
Denso TT Iridium

InnerStaytes

Oh no. Now I need another one!  :o

Amarlborough

Kevin originally said he would make a back box for me @shnazzle at the start of the year. Was all booked in For May until Covid hit then when decided to cancel it. So your not going mad!

Would of been a full Zero system  :'(

Maybe he has changed his mind again on doing them.

shnazzle

Quote from: Amarlborough on September 12, 2020, 18:56Kevin originally said he would make a back box for me @shnazzle at the start of the year. Was all booked in For May until Covid hit then when decided to cancel it. So your not going mad!

Would of been a full Zero system  :'(

Maybe he has changed his mind again on doing them.

Thank you! 

That was actually haunting me since that post. I've been trawling the forum looking for evidence. 

( @cptspaulding more evidence? :) )
...neutiquam erro.

InnerStaytes

Don't worry. Kevin is still happy to make back boxes for the MR2 (1ZZ). He just has to make them in situ in his workshop in Kent. The challenge he has is  fabricating the pressed steel flanges he needs for the 1ZZ catbacks. It would cost a lot for his suppliers to tool up to make them (£1,000 ++). So, as he did for me, he currently cuts the flange off the OEM exhaust to add to his catback. Which means you have to go to him in Kent and have him work on your car in his workshop (might take a week or two). A very small price to pay tbh. My own exhaust was a 600 mile roundtrip (car and train) and two weeks work. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Five years later and no regrets.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: InnerStaytes on September 12, 2020, 21:03Don't worry. Kevin is still happy to make back boxes for the MR2 (1ZZ). He just has to make them in situ in his workshop in Kent. The challenge he has is  fabricating the pressed steel flanges he needs for the 1ZZ catbacks. It would cost a lot for his suppliers to tool up to make them (£1,000 ++). So, as he did for me, he currently cuts the flange off the OEM exhaust to add to his catback. Which means you have to go to him in Kent and have him work on your car in his workshop (might take a week or two). A very small price to pay tbh. My own exhaust was a 600 mile roundtrip (car and train) and two weeks work. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Five years later and no regrets.
I had a similar experience with a local Powerflow dealer, repurposed the flange off my standard cat to make my sport cat.
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 12, 2020, 21:09
Quote from: InnerStaytes on September 12, 2020, 21:03Don't worry. Kevin is still happy to make back boxes for the MR2 (1ZZ). He just has to make them in situ in his workshop in Kent. The challenge he has is  fabricating the pressed steel flanges he needs for the 1ZZ catbacks. It would cost a lot for his suppliers to tool up to make them (£1,000 ++). So, as he did for me, he currently cuts the flange off the OEM exhaust to add to his catback. Which means you have to go to him in Kent and have him work on your car in his workshop (might take a week or two). A very small price to pay tbh. My own exhaust was a 600 mile roundtrip (car and train) and two weeks work. Was it worth it? Absolutely! Five years later and no regrets.
I had a similar experience with a local Powerflow dealer, repurposed the flange off my standard cat to make my sport cat.
Same here. My cat was utterly destroyed so no loss cutting the flange off. Saved me about 40 quid I think
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on September 12, 2020, 21:37
Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 12, 2020, 21:09
Same here. My cat was utterly destroyed so no loss cutting the flange off. Saved me about 40 quid I think
I lost more money in forgetting to ask for my old cat back when I picked the car up 😂
60% of the time it works everytime...

Smithy

Quote from: thetyrant on September  7, 2020, 08:27
Quote from: JB21 on September  7, 2020, 07:54I bought the below from @thetyrant that he made himself. Think it only cost around £120 to make and its brilliant. 6kg lighter than the OE unit, revs so much more freely and there's 100% power increase. Oh and it sounds awesome.

I had the Corbra quad tip before this which was a piece of junk.
Could we request that thetyrant does a how to on his custom exhausts

You cannot view this attachment.

Should of kept that im going to have to make another once turbo is sorted again :D
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Dev

There is nothing like having a custom exhaust from an experienced builder. I live in an area where labor prices for custom exhaust work is outrageous. I contemplated  my options and just made my own with a little bit of courage. I bought a cheap Chinese flux core welder for $70 that doesn't require gas and learned watching youtube videos and practicing on my old exhaust before I did the real thing. I was able to buy the mandrel pipes in the lengths I needed  and had a cut off tool to cut to fit before welding.  My welds are not pretty but strong and functional but most of all I got my exhaust exactly the way I wanted it which was though the bumper with trumpet tips. 
 Those of you thinking of DIY exhaust its not that difficult and there is a lot of savings as long as you plan it out but the skills you learn during the process can save you a fortune with future projects.
 This is not a substitute for good work from a pro however you can make a functional exhaust that works well and welding is enjoyable.

Smithy

Thanks Dev. What did you use as a silencer? I was looking at magnaflow silencers on eBay for about £70 and tubing. Just asking someone to weld it together for me. Must be Cheaper and you can design it the way you want.
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Dev

Quote from: Smithy on October 18, 2020, 20:13Thanks Dev. What did you use as a silencer? I was looking at magnaflow silencers on eBay for about £70 and tubing. Just asking someone to weld it together for me. Must be Cheaper and you can design it the way you want.

I used a Magnaflow Camaro muffler because it has the right inlet and exit pipes. Its similar to the famous Team Moon exhaust which I previous had that sounds great. Very similar sounding from what I heard with posted clips of the Hayward & Scott you guys use to have as an option. I was able to pick up some mandrel bend pipes in the radius I needed and it all worked out using the old hangers from my cannibalized  previous exhaust welded to the new one. The good thing is, you are not dealing with thick metal so getting good penetration with the weld is possible and you can stitch weld around the pipe and it should not fail you.  If I had to do it again I could easily finish in less then half the time because you pick up experience as you move along.

Smithy

That looks fantastic Dev thanks for showing us
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Dev

Quote from: Smithy on October 19, 2020, 09:30That looks fantastic Dev thanks for showing us

You are most welcome. If I were to do it again I would use flux core wire made for stainless steel so the welds don't rust and use a small grinder to even out the welds so they look pretty. Apart from that if you take it to a exhaust guy it should be easy for them because the exhaust is not underneath like a traditional car. It makes it easy to spot weld in place and then the rest can be done on a bench. 

AdamR28

Absolutely, it's the easiest car ever to work on the exhaust!

I did similar, chopping the bends and flange off the old back box, and mating them to a simple silencer box from eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/351568797203

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=69843.msg831911#msg831911

Petrus

Quote from: AdamR28 on October 19, 2020, 14:12I did similar, chopping the bends and flange off the old back box, and mating them to a simple silencer box from eBay:

I used an alloy sleeved Arrows no-muffler from a motorbike.

VÉRY loud but that has unexpected advantages. Today had a bi row with gf because she had not heard me pop down to village for a moment, 20 minutes at most. I did tell her I was going to but not said ´going NÓW´ sigh...
I never do but she hears my car leave, now she had not so she expected me still around. Best not argue that her assumption did not make an ass out of mé; just say ´sorry, will do next time´. Swapping the loud pipe back on later today anyway.

Dev

If you want to know what It sounds like on a 1ZZ here is a clip. It was taken 15 years ago. I cant believe its been that long. With the 2ZZ it sounds like a big liter bike or the nastiness of a small carburetor V8 with aggressive cams. I get plenty of complements on the sound because it doesn't sound like a typical 4 with an exhaust. The muffler alone was just a little over $120 on sale when I bought it and its full stainless steel.

Petrus

Smithy

Quote from: Dev on October 20, 2020, 19:23If you want to know what It sounds like on a 1ZZ here is a clip. It was taken 15 years ago. I cant believe its been that long. With the 2ZZ it sounds like a big liter bike or the nastiness of a small carburetor V8 with aggressive cams. I get plenty of complements on the sound because it doesn't sound like a typical 4 with an exhaust. The muffler alone was just a little over $120 on sale when I bought it and its full stainless steel.

Wow that's just the right sound. Not too loud but gives a little bit of character to the 1zz.

03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

AdamR28

Does sound good that!

Here's mine in car through 2nd gear:

Dev

Quote from: Smithy on October 20, 2020, 21:01Wow that's just the right sound. Not too loud but gives a little bit of character to the 1zz.

That is exactly how people describe it. Character.  Most exhaust for this car either sound untamed and irritating or they sound like the OEM exhaust but louder. An exhaust sounds nice if you can hear the firing rhythm.  People spend a small fortune buying exhausts like Tubi-Style for character.

This is not my car but it has the same exhaust set up and sound just like mine currently with my 2ZZ. With the 2ZZ it is louder but it is a good loud that gets you compliments.

Petrus

Here´s one of mine from the passenger seat, roof down:

The feed back from the gf´s is consistent; it provokes giggles and goose bumps, all lóve it. Two think it too loud though two like that.

AdamR28

I'm about to embark on an exhaust build, details will go here for anyone interested: https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=69843.msg836735#msg836735

Materials about £300 and 11kg's worth. Tons lighter than the standard setup (which is approx 28kg) and should flow better too.

Tags: