Sports cats

Started by treeroy, September 12, 2020, 16:13

SV-3

Quote from: Petrus on September 14, 2020, 12:11
Quote from: SV-3 on September 14, 2020, 11:59If I was going to make these mods I would want to know the state of the car before, so, professional assessment/guidance and dyno first.
Then, review the analysis, cost the parts and labour required (at both extremes of the budget i.e. High and Low) and calculate the cost per potential additional bhp - leaving subjectivity out of it.
Having frightened yourself at the cost - sit down with a cup of tea etc.
If you go ahead, at the end, repeat the original dyno and compare the results.
Finally, summit your choices and results to the forum so that we can all benefit from your real-world experience.

Well, for the benefit of all that would be tops.
For the rest pretty useless. It is what it is anyway.

A free flowing manifold with ditto (de)cat and (no)muffler wíll liberate some 10% of horses from doing an exhaust gas pushing task to push the car. That has already been dyno proven and shared:
Freeing up the exit wíll make the car quicker. The rest is personal priority.

And mind; a dyno does not come for free. Putting it on the dyno twíce to illuztrate what we know already and to have an a meaningless absoolute number seems a rather needless cost increase.
I ´measure´ the before and after on the same stretch of road with two power apps on the mobile phone. Or rather I did; the phone packed up and the current one is too old; is ok for telephone calls and whatsapp only; think it´s a keeper :-
Give me a break..."what we know already". :o
If I had suggested repeating the 'test' on the same piece of road you would have said no, the temperature/humidity/dewpoint/any other variable are not the same. :o
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

Petrus

Ac1962

Quote from: treeroy on September 14, 2020, 16:35
Quote from: Ac1962 on September 14, 2020, 14:15I very recently had a Toyosports manifold fitted AND a sports cat to go with my Cobra silencer.
The difference i find is that the car is more lively under throttle especially at higher RPM - i havent and wont dyno it as im not bothered. For what it cost me for what i percieve i get from it is perfect - great noise - if you drive sensible its not loud but if you hoof it it does get some noise going. I have  K&N induction on it too so overall i think she breathes quite well compared to a standard set up - but like most i assume, keeping the filter clean and the MAF clean makes enough sense and difference. All this goes out the window though when you find a tunnel,,,,then you want the noise, i dont care who you are, the smile you get from the rasp and the pops and bangs is worth every penny.

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your Toyosports manifold from?
here:
toyosports (UK) ltd Contact Us
www.toyosports.co.uk › contact-us-2-w
Home Contact Us Toyosports UK Ltd Candy House Crystal Drive Smethwick Birmingham B66 1QG Internet Sales and Enquires Tel 0844 693 2449 or

treeroy

Quote from: Ac1962 on September 15, 2020, 16:59
Quote from: treeroy on September 14, 2020, 16:35
Quote from: Ac1962 on September 14, 2020, 14:15I very recently had a Toyosports manifold fitted AND a sports cat to go with my Cobra silencer.
The difference i find is that the car is more lively under throttle especially at higher RPM - i havent and wont dyno it as im not bothered. For what it cost me for what i percieve i get from it is perfect - great noise - if you drive sensible its not loud but if you hoof it it does get some noise going. I have  K&N induction on it too so overall i think she breathes quite well compared to a standard set up - but like most i assume, keeping the filter clean and the MAF clean makes enough sense and difference. All this goes out the window though when you find a tunnel,,,,then you want the noise, i dont care who you are, the smile you get from the rasp and the pops and bangs is worth every penny.

If you dont mind me asking, where did you get your Toyosports manifold from?
here:
toyosports (UK) ltd Contact Us
www.toyosports.co.uk › contact-us-2-w
Home Contact Us Toyosports UK Ltd Candy House Crystal Drive Smethwick Birmingham B66 1QG Internet Sales and Enquires Tel 0844 693 2449 or

The Toyosports website there has almost nothing on it. No Toyota parts. On their Ebay shop, the only Toyota manifolds are for Starlet, Yaris and GT86.

Do you have a link to the page of the part you bought?

Cheers!

Call the midlife!

I think toyo tend to fabricate/import a batch at a time and then list them so it could be they're either out of stock or not stocking them anymore.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Joesson

@treeroy maybe this is of interest to you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Race-Manifold-Header-for-Toyota-MR-2-MRS-Spyder-

Seller information
arden500 (38741  Feedback score: 38741)

Business seller information
Toyosports Ltd
Bob Li
Candy House
Crystal Drive
Smethwick
West Midlands
B66 1QG
United Kingdom
Phone:01212445553
Email:llxautoparts2017@gmail.com
VAT number:
GB 864870191

Can't get a direct link for you.

Bernie

From Robs files he had the car dyno'd after every mod and the progression is as below, also after the Apexi ECU added was then remapped each time

Sports cat on its own won't do much, but has passed MOT every year and that's a proper MOT not a "friendly" one !

Zero manifold made the most increase but with a remap

148 BHP
Exhaust & Sports Cat

157 BHP
Apexi ECU
Crower Cams

167 BHP
Zero Manifold

171 BHP PPE Induction
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on September 15, 2020, 22:01@treeroy maybe this is of interest to you:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Race-Manifold-Header-for-Toyota-MR-2-MRS-Spyder-

Seller information
arden500 (38741  Feedback score: 38741)

Business seller information
Toyosports Ltd
Bob Li
Candy House
Crystal Drive
Smethwick
West Midlands
B66 1QG
United Kingdom
Phone:01212445553
Email:llxautoparts2017@gmail.com
VAT number:
GB 864870191

Can't get a direct link for you.
That's a broken link to me?

thetyrant

Quote from: Bernie on September 15, 2020, 22:50From Robs files he had the car dyno'd after every mod and the progression is as below, also after the Apexi ECU added was then remapped each time

Sports cat on its own won't do much, but has passed MOT every year and that's a proper MOT not a "friendly" one !

148 BHP
Exhaust & Sports Cat

157 BHP
Apexi ECU
Crower Cams

167 BHP
Zero Manifold

171 BHP PPE Induction

Interesting thanks, was there as Dyno done before he started modding it ?  also do you know if all those were on the same Dyno ?
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

Bernie

Quote from: thetyrant on September 16, 2020, 09:54
Quote from: Bernie on September 15, 2020, 22:50From Robs files he had the car dyno'd after every mod and the progression is as below, also after the Apexi ECU added was then remapped each time

148 BHP
Exhaust & Sports Cat

157 BHP
Apexi ECU
Crower Cams

167 BHP
Zero Manifold

171 BHP PPE Induction

Interesting thanks, was there as Dyno done before he started modding it ?  also do you know if all those were on the same Dyno ?

None before mods began first 2 were just dyno's at Hyper Sports and Racing, last 2 were at Noble Motorsport and remapped
Black 2004  N/A  Many Mods = 171BHP 
2019 & 2021 MR2DC National Day Modified Best in Class
Readers Ride
https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=56481.0

AdamR28

Indeed. My poor wording, meant the correct link to eBay that someone was trying to post up earlier!

treeroy

Thanks for finding that - don't know why that doesn't come up when searching for MR2 Exhaust Manifold.

It says Yellow Speed but business info says Toyosports. So idk.

I would think that all of the manifolds are the same but I am just hesitant of buying an unbranded ebay product. Don't mind it on cheap throwaway stuff but feel a bit more reassured if it has a brand on it.

Joesson

Quote from: treeroy on September 16, 2020, 15:04Thanks for finding that - don't know why that doesn't come up when searching for MR2 Exhaust Manifold.

I would think that all of the manifolds are the same but I am just hesitant of buying an unbranded ebay product. Don't mind it on cheap throwaway stuff but feel a bit more reassured if it has a brand on it.

In my browsing I have come across reviews of manifolds available in the USA, the obvious fault for one reviewer, who was on his second " Chinese header", was that the flange to cylinder head was not flat, similarly the cat flange and that meant the studs were not at 90 deg to the face and were difficult to align.

Petrus

Three observations;
- you want a manifold gasket with pressed in rings around the ports
- think about whether you want to retain the OEM heatshield (thus need the mounting brackets)
- wrapping puts extra heat stress on the material/construction

AdamR28

Quote from: treeroy on September 16, 2020, 15:22@AdamR28  the one you have, it works fine? Any issues fitting it? It just drops in no problems?
Thanks for sharing the link.

No probs!

Yeah it works fine for now, bolted straight up without any issues. The manifold to centre section gasket face isn't the recessed one as recommended on here though, so perhaps only time will tell if I made a smart choice or not.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: treeroy on September 16, 2020, 15:04Thanks for finding that - don't know why that doesn't come up when searching for MR2 Exhaust Manifold.

I can't see it say Toyosport anywhere on the ebay page that links to, also Toyosport usually have a nameplate tacked onto the runners which I can't see in the images.

It's probably a perfectly serviceable manifold and probably comes from the same factory in China but the group experience and recommendations are on actual Toyosport badged manifolds, so if you go for the Yellow Speed one you might be the guinea pig.

treeroy

Just reading through this thread again. I think I'm gonna forget about the sports cat. After all I bought this car because its cheap to run, and dont really need a sports cat.

I am still gonna get a backbox though because I just think the sound from the MR2 is crap and really lets down some of the driving experience.

Part of me thinks i might as well get the cat done at the same time as the backbox.

But as long as I get a good loud nice sound out of the backbox that should be enough for me. No point chasing power gains on the 1ZZ really.

shnazzle

Quote from: treeroy on September 17, 2020, 16:39Just reading through this thread again. I think I'm gonna forget about the sports cat. After all I bought this car because its cheap to run, and dont really need a sports cat.

I am still gonna get a backbox though because I just think the sound from the MR2 is crap and really lets down some of the driving experience.

Part of me thinks i might as well get the cat done at the same time as the backbox.

But as long as I get a good loud nice sound out of the backbox that should be enough for me. No point chasing power gains on the 1ZZ really.
Spot on. It's all about the feel and the noise :)
...neutiquam erro.

AdamR28

100% agreed. My DIY back box completely transformed the driving experience, for the better!

Call the midlife!

Just drill a few holes in the airbox and move on...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on September 17, 2020, 17:53Just drill a few holes in the airbox and move on...
Dude!
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: AdamR28 on September 17, 2020, 17:30100% agreed. My DIY back box completely transformed the driving experience, for the better!

This one helped too

Manifold, decat pipe, motorbike no-muffler; mán it is worth the swap for MoT hassle.

Tags: