Engine bonnet release

Started by Zxrob, September 16, 2020, 10:49

Zxrob

Have noticed this a couple of times now, when I return form a drive and the engine bay is hot, the pull release sometimes doe not operate properly, its absolutely fine when the engine cools down or is cold, I'm presuming the cable may be expanding due to the heat and not "catching" correctly, anyone else came across this

Cheers Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

Joesson

@Zxrob
Not had that problem, although the strands of the lock release cable on my daily are starting to break up!
I am aware that the hood on the 2 is encouraged to pop up by the adjustment of the two black stops. Maybe the heat is affecting the tension in the sheet metal of the lid. If so a half turn or more on the adjusters may fix it .

StuC

Quote from: Zxrob on September 16, 2020, 10:49Have noticed this a couple of times now, when I return form a drive and the engine bay is hot, the pull release sometimes doe not operate properly, its absolutely fine when the engine cools down or is cold, I'm presuming the cable may be expanding due to the heat and not "catching" correctly, anyone else came across this

Cheers Rob

Maybe get someone to operate the lever when the cover is open, so you can see if anything looks different when hot and cold?

I like @Joesson suggestion on the rubber stops in lieu of anything obvious.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

tricky1138

Quote from: Zxrob on September 16, 2020, 10:49Have noticed this a couple of times now, when I return form a drive and the engine bay is hot, the pull release sometimes doe not operate properly, its absolutely fine when the engine cools down or is cold, I'm presuming the cable may be expanding due to the heat and not "catching" correctly, anyone else came across this

Cheers Rob

I have to say I have noticed this too, and keep meaning to adjust the stops, but keep forgetting till the point it happens again, then forget again to do it when its cooled down.

I must do it soon as MOT is due so they will probably have to be in the engine bay whilst it is hot.

2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

StuC

Quote from: tricky1138 on September 16, 2020, 14:25I must do it soon as MOT is due so they will probably have to be in the engine bay whilst it is hot.

No heating in the garage? So they have to huddle in engine bays. Rough seas. ;) ;) :D
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Nvy

My lever doesnt move at all but if yours move you can just place a spacer at the end of the cable. That way you are shortening it a bit and it should release the latch.

Tags: