Brake hose removal

Started by Benlake, October 4, 2020, 09:52

Benlake

Looking for some help!
I have some braided hoses to fit but Im a bit stuck getting my old ones off. I have managed to get one loose (the 10mm nut at the metal break line end) using wd and a flared spanner but the spanner keeps slipping on the other ones. Is there a handy trick anyone happens to know?

Thanks

Carolyn

By 'flared spanner' do you mean one of these?:

You cannot view this attachment.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Benlake

Yep thats the one I just and bought a 9mm one to see if I could a tighter fit but its too small the 10mm feels a little loose, which is why it keeps slipping.

Benlake

Im thinking drastic measures might be needed  :(

Carolyn

3/8" imperial is just a nadger smaller than 10mm -if you can get one.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Joesson

@Carolyn ' s spanner is Imperial , you have Metric, there maybe a slight difference. But, as you are removing the brake hoses and if the " open ended" spanner is not working for you, you could try cutting the hose so that you can use a ring spanner or better still a long reach socket with six points. This will be messy so be prepared to catch the old fluid in a tray.

PS, Carolyn's "try an Imperial spanner" is far less drastic, so try that first!

Benlake

Ok thanks I will try the 3/8 spanner first and if that doesn't work it will have get ugly!

MRSwede

If you don't have any plan to reuse it, use a pipe wrench

Joesson

Quote from: MRSwede on October  4, 2020, 11:02If you don't have any plan to reuse it, use a pipe wrench

There's ugly , then there's a pipe wrench.😉

Benlake

Haha starting to wish Id left them alone :(

I think the little nut might be needed the goodridge hoses only seem to have a thread at the end.

Benlake

Why couldn't the other 3 nuts be more like my little buddy on passenger side front.

househead

Holy thread hijack :)

I have some of these to fit too, and I've asked on here about these clips before but got no answer.

Does anyone have the foggiest what I do with these little things..

(Black plastic clips Shown in the bottom left of the photo, next to the washers)

Been stalling on doing this job till I find out what they do
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

MRSwede

Quote from: Joesson on October  4, 2020, 11:17
Quote from: MRSwede on October  4, 2020, 11:02If you don't have any plan to reuse it, use a pipe wrench

Standard equipment in the tool box, if you have this standing beside the MR2  ;D You cannot view this attachment.

barchetta_ms

I completely fubar'ed my front brake hard lines when doing this - I ended up replacing the hard lines all the way from the ABS unit - not something I want to do when I do the rears. I started with a flared spanner and ended up with a pipe wrench and a knackered nut on the on brake line. I think the age of the car and the fact it had probably never been undone doesn't help.

Watching this with interest to see what other suggestions come up. Is cutting the hard line and putting a new nut on the end and then re-flaring the pipe an option?

Joesson

Quote from: househead on October  4, 2020, 13:23Holy thread hijack :)

I have some of these to fit too, and I've asked on here about these clips before but got no answer.

(Black plastic clips Shown in the bottom left of the photo, next to the washers)

They look like they can be fitted after the hoses are installed. There are 8 of them for 4 hoses , so  2 for each hose. They must be to locate/ limit the movement of the hose relative to some bracket or other.
Someone might now take pity and come up with an experience base answer.

Joesson

Quote from: MRSwede on October  4, 2020, 14:12
Quote from: Joesson on October  4, 2020, 11:17

Standard equipment in the tool box, if you have this standing beside the MR2  ;D You cannot view this attachment.

You could have "that" parked over your 2, it would keep the rain off!

Joesson

Quote from: barchetta_ms on October  4, 2020, 14:47I completely fubar'ed my front brake hard lines when doing this - I ended up replacing the hard lines all the way from the ABS unit - not something I want to do when I do the rears. I started with a flared spanner and ended up with a pipe wrench and a knackered nut on the on brake line. I think the age of the car and the fact it had probably never been undone doesn't help.

Watching this with interest to see what other suggestions come up. Is cutting the hard line and putting a new nut on the end and then re-flaring the pipe an option?

Re-flaring  a line in situ would be difficult/ impossible, but would also mean that the line would be shorter which may be then difficult to get into the same position.
Some things on our cars are unfortunately due for replacement now  because of TMB.

househead

Quote from: Joesson on October  4, 2020, 14:53

They look like they can be fitted after the hoses are installed. There are 8 of them for 4 hoses , so  2 for each hose. They must be to locate/ limit the movement of the hose relative to some bracket or other.

That was my hunch too actually. Wasn't sure which bracket to fit them around. Makes sense to not have them moving around in the brackets too much.

Benlake

If the 3/8 flares spanner won't get it could it carefully be cut with dremmel and pried off - risk might be ending up with a mangled thread. The other risky option I was thinking was blow torch maybe if the line was drained from the caliper end.

MRSwede

Quote from: Benlake on October  4, 2020, 16:11If the 3/8 flares spanner won't get it could it carefully be cut with dremmel and pried off - risk might be ending up with a mangled thread. The other risky option I was thinking was blow torch maybe if the line was drained from the caliper end.

Heat Gun ?

Benlake

Yeah there is a risk I blow myself and the car up though!

gazza1286

The nuts on the hard brake lines for cars (particularly Toyotas) of a certain are are problematic. I learned this many years ago.
I now would never use open spanners (including flared spanners) unless I can be certain they will undo. I go straight for locking pliers. This avoids most rounding-over issues. Granted a couple of the flats will be marred but doing this first ensures a solid purchase for the jaws of the pliers.

When I bought my MR2 in 2014 the pipework was in excellent condition being a 2006 car - I therefore undid all four corners then using a flared spanner to avoid future problems. I've repeated this every year or so since to prevent the inevitable should I need or choose to swap out the flexis.

Joesson

Quote from: househead on October  4, 2020, 15:24
Quote from: Joesson on October  4, 2020, 14:53

That was my hunch too actually. Wasn't sure which bracket to fit them around. Makes sense to not have them moving around in the brackets too much.

Having reviewed the situation, and no other input! maybe the item that these clips locate is the black "bracket" on the hose.
As previously, the clips go around the hose and it may well become intuitive once you offer the hose up to position it.

AdamR28

Yeah I would say they locate the black brackets, and the black brackets are bolted to the damper. Will be obvious once you start the job!

househead

Like this right?

Tags: