Non standard coolant leak.

Started by Call the midlife!, October 15, 2020, 16:58

Call the midlife!

Yesterday I noticed a small pool of coolant where I'd had the Crisis parked for half a day, before anyone starts to go down the radiator route I know it's not that.
The wet patch was in the centre rear of the car, I'd previously been refitting my big mushroom air intake so thought I'd maybe pulled one of the hoses from the expansion tank.
Ran it for a while today but couldn't see any drips so left it to see what happened over the day and sure enough a puddle on the garage floor.
It's dripping off the front of the sump.
So...
Either one of the main hoses is leaking, the throttle body feeds or the pipe on the front of the block.
I pondered the thermostat housing but the needle had barely moved and yesterday it was just start up, reverse out of the garage and park at the side.
So unless I can see from lying underneath and rectify it the problem child will be parked up until the planned engine drop later in the year/next year.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 15, 2020, 16:58Yesterday I noticed a small pool of coolant where I'd had the Crisis parked for half a day, before anyone starts to go down the radiator route I know it's not that.
The wet patch was in the centre rear of the car, I'd previously been refitting my big mushroom air intake so thought I'd maybe pulled one of the hoses from the expansion tank.
Ran it for a while today but couldn't see any drips so left it to see what happened over the day and sure enough a puddle on the garage floor.
So...
Either one of the main hoses is leaking, the throttle body feeds or the pipe on the front of the block.
I pondered the thermostat housing but the needle had barely moved and yesterday it was just start up, reverse out of the garage and park at the side.
So unless I can see from lying underneath and rectify it the problem child will be parked up until the planned engine drop later in the year/next year.
Almost certainly the water pump.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on October 15, 2020, 17:42
Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 15, 2020, 16:58Yesterday I noticed a small pool of coolant where I'd had the Crisis parked for half a day, before anyone starts to go down the radiator route I know it's not that.
So...
I considered that but it's dripping from the car front side of the sump rather than the engine front, I sort of imagined the water pump would drip pretty much off the chain cover?

Either way if it's the water pump it's definitely not getting done until the engine comes out 😆.

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 15, 2020, 17:57
So...
I considered that but it's dripping from the car front side of the sump rather than the engine front, I sort of imagined the water pump would drip pretty much off the chain cover?

Either way if it's the water pump it's definitely not getting done until the engine comes out 😆.
It tends to run down the timing cover and around the lip of the sump...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on October 15, 2020, 18:05
Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 15, 2020, 17:57
So...

It tends to run down the timing cover and around the lip of the sump...
I'll have a feel around tomorrow, everything was wet from being out in the rain the last couple of days so see what tomorrow says. Cheers for that.👍🏻

Joesson

@Call the midlife!
Probably 4o years ago I pointed out to a then neighbour what I thought might be a coolant leak from his car. " Oh, that's the air con" (condensation from) says he. Not as common then as now and I don't know where all the air con bits are on a 2 but just saying.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on October 15, 2020, 18:50@Call the midlife!
Probably 4o years ago I pointed out to a then neighbour what I thought might be a coolant leak from his car. " Oh, that's the air con" (condensation from) says he. Not as common then as now and I don't know where all the air con bits are on a 2 but just saying.
Unless I've been driving it for 3 years and stripped it twice without realising, it's definitely not aircon related 😆

Joesson

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 15, 2020, 18:53
Quote from: Joesson on October 15, 2020, 18:50@Call the midlife!
Unless I've been driving it for 3 years and stripped it twice without realising, it's definitely not aircon related 😆

So you must have the light weight variant.

Bossworld

I've still got the main big four hoses from when I swapped to silicone ones (yes I'm still not sure why I did that).  Shout if it transpires you need them.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Bossworld on October 15, 2020, 21:11I've still got the main big four hoses from when I swapped to silicone ones (yes I'm still not sure why I did that).  Shout if it transpires you need them.
Thanks for that, appreciated, I'm semi confident it's engine/auxiliary related though.

Not sure what exactly and the water pump was brand new on the rebuild I'm sure, so why it's decided to start leaking when it's hardly been driven since getting back from Wales is beyond me.
Probably just feeling left out as I've been spending time working on the new bus...😆

jonbill

thermostat housing and oil filter heat exchanger are both in the right area for this. I think it'll be obvious when you get under and have a look

AdamR28

And if not, a bottle of UV dye and a torch (cheap on ebay etc as a kit) will make a dead easy job of identifying.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jonbill on October 16, 2020, 09:02thermostat housing and oil filter heat exchanger are both in the right area for this. I think it'll be obvious when you get under and have a look
Aye, it's weird that it's just decided to do it, whatever it is, I don't remember it losing any coolant on the 800 miles or so around Wales.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: AdamR28 on October 16, 2020, 09:15And if not, a bottle of UV dye and a torch (cheap on ebay etc as a kit) will make a dead easy job of identifying.
The amount that's dripping out over a relatively short space of time I'm imagining it'll be fairly easy to see, if it's somewhere it can be seen.

But I've got some outdoor electrical work to fettle today so I'll not be spending much time on it other than a quick check to see how big the puddle is.

Joesson

May or may (likely) not be relevant but my 2002 before my ownership, when serviced by Mr T the service reports referred to " leak from water pump".
Early in my ownership similar reports from Mr T but no rectification work ever done.
In past 5 years, diy service, no sign of water pump leak.

Call the midlife!

No major puddle this morning so it would tally with it only leaking while under pressure.

Dev

Quote from: Joesson on October 16, 2020, 11:46May or may (likely) not be relevant but my 2002 before my ownership, when serviced by Mr T the service reports referred to " leak from water pump".
Early in my ownership similar reports from Mr T but no rectification work ever done.

I do not know if this is relevant but I know an owner that had his MR-S sit for an extended amount of time and it showed faint signs of dried up pink coolant that ran the path of where it would leak.  He wanted to address the water pump but I told him to hold off and I cleaned off the area to see if it would come back.
 Its been over four years and no leak.
 Its possible that the seals shrink letting little though if it has been sitting for an extended amount of time but soon as it gets some heat and lubricant from the coolant it swells back up.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Dev on October 19, 2020, 19:00
Quote from: Joesson on October 16, 2020, 11:46May or may (likely) not be relevant but my 2002 before my ownership, when serviced by Mr T the service reports referred to " leak from water pump".

I do not know if this is relevant but I know an owner that had his MR-S sit for an extended amount of time and it showed faint signs of dried up pink coolant that ran the path of where it would leak.  He wanted to address the water pump but I told him to hold off and I cleaned off the area to see if it would come back.
 Its possible that the seals shrink letting little though if it has been sitting for an extended amount of time but soon as it gets some heat and lubricant from the coolant it swells back up.
I'll keep that in mind when I start to investigate it but it seems to be leaking while just sitting there too. I've put a bowl under the sump just to save making a puddle on the floor until I can look properly at the weekend.

Dev

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 19, 2020, 19:09

I'll keep that in mind when I start to investigate it but it seems to be leaking while just sitting there too. I've put a bowl under the sump just to save making a puddle on the floor until I can look properly at the weekend.

I would consider that a significant leak that only a new water pump would solve but for sure an investigation is necessary to know exactly where its coming from because the origin can be deceiving. If the car I mentioned had a leak that size  with enough coolant to create a small puddle we would have replaced the water pump once we could determine the source. 
 Good luck with the investigation. I usually use dry paper towels after I clean the surface to find the leak or a light coat of powder if its hard to see.

Joesson

That sounds plausible, the reports of mine "leaking" were from different Toyota garages some years apart.

Call the midlife!

Early indications suggest it's not the pump..
Need to see if there's anything above that could be trailing down onto it too.

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 24, 2020, 14:09Early indications suggest it's not the pump..
You've found it.  Strange one - considering how the gasket fits around the thermostat.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Carolyn on October 24, 2020, 14:38
Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 24, 2020, 14:09Early indications suggest it's not the pump..
You've found it.  Strange one - considering how the gasket fits around the thermostat.
Indeed, considering how many miles I've done since installing it and the nuts are plenty tight.

Thinking about fitting a new flange for what they cost, just in case there's a crack in it that I can't see in situ.
As the flange has to come off to fit a new gasket/o ring anyway.

Carolyn

Quote from: Call the midlife! on October 24, 2020, 14:57
Quote from: Carolyn on October 24, 2020, 14:38
Indeed, considering how many miles I've done since installing it and the nuts are plenty tight.

Thinking about fitting a new flange for what they cost, just in case there's a crack in it that I can't see in situ.
As the flange has to come off to fit a new gasket/o ring anyway.
I'll see if I've got a plastic bit in my pile....

Call the midlife!

There's also a strong chance of it getting a smear of Dirko grey and shoved back on as is for the time being..

Tags: