MOT failure

Started by Newbie57, October 20, 2020, 16:38

Newbie57

Annoyingly the car failed on a broken front spring today. Right at the top and not easy to see.
Ordered 2 springs and one dust cover from TCB. He's out of stock on the dust covers so I'll do one side for now. Anywhere else I can get the cover?
Not compressed a car spring before(have done bikes) any tips?

Ardent

Parts wise
Mr T own ebay shop
Local Mr T parts department
Mr2 Ben.

Mr T does not always mean more expensive.

Carolyn

Quote from: Newbie57 on October 20, 2020, 16:38Annoyingly the car failed on a broken front spring today. Right at the top and not easy to see.
Ordered 2 springs and one dust cover from TCB. He's out of stock on the dust covers so I'll do one side for now. Anywhere else I can get the cover?
Not compressed a car spring before(have done bikes) any tips?
Get some decent spring compressors that won't slip off.  There's mucho stored energy in a compressed spring.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Topdownman

I wouldnt use MR2 ben for dust covers as I think they supply ones that fit rather than oem style. You would then have odd ones.

If you cant wait for TCB then may have to be MrT.

I bought some ebay compressors but not used them yet but one tip I heard was to zip tie them onto the springs to stop them coming off by accident.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Newbie57

I'll do one side and the strut as well must be passed it's best at 100k miles

Topdownman

These are the ones I went for;

You are not far from me so you are welcome to borrow them if you dont want to buy a set.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Newbie57

Thanks for the offer. Guy in the village has some too. Not sure what they are like. I'll get back to you

Joesson

My set are very similar and I lived to write this post. But caution as mentioned is advised.

Joesson

Quote from: Newbie57 on October 20, 2020, 17:35I'll do one side and the strut as well must be passed it's best at 100k miles

I believe you are correct, but that applies equally to the other side and so I do hope this one side fix is very temporary while awaiting the dust cover.

Gaz mr-s

Aged 60 I bought my first pair of compressors too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coil-Spring-Compressor-Heavy-Duty-Tool-Suspension-Clamp-2pcs-Kit-With-Case/313264427812?hash=item48f003d324:g:YHYAAOSw7blfiV6y

Not from the above seller...but it's those. I was confident using them.
I cut some bicycle inner tube & put it around the new spring to stop the clamp from marking the powdercoating. It also reduces the likelihood of the clamp sliding on the spring.

Newbie57

One side is just temp. While I await more stock on the boot

Jamtastic

Hello Newbie57

A couple of things that may help.

Crack the top nut whilst the strut is still in the car. Under the rubber cap cunningly disguised on the top of the strut(19mm)

Knuckle bolts x 2 19mm

ABS cable bracket 10mm

Brake line bracket 12mm

3 top mount nuts 12mm

If the old spring has snapped be careful as you remove the strut as when the spring loses its tension it will move to its new length with a twang. Make sure your hand isn't in the way. Rusty jaggy spring ends and all that.

Make sure the strut runs across the front of you when you compress and decompress the spring. Sounds noddy but you don't want to be in the way!!

After you compress the old spring slightly and undo the top nut all the way there will be a slight twang. Be careful!!

Make sure the flats at the bottom of the threads engage with the flats in the top plate before you put the little insulator and top mount on.

Make sure you put the bump stop and dust cover on before the above as you will do it all up take compressors off then realise like I did!!

If you think you have compressed the new spring enough you haven't.

Hope that helps pal

Mr2paul

Hi, yes I agree with the above. Iv got cheapie so (£10) and was abit nervous but all went well (ford ka if I recall)
Cable tie just in case tho I didn't need to thankfully. Just be safe n take your time and all will be good.
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

iffyT

Thanks for those tips Jam, I'm thinking of doing a refresh soon.

There's also a (slightly long winded) video how-to here where he does the springs: https://youtu.be/jzMQBpqm08g

Jamtastic

Quote from: iffyT on October 21, 2020, 16:47Thanks for those tips Jam, I'm thinking of doing a refresh soon.

There's also a (slightly long winded) video how-to here where he does the springs: https://youtu.be/jzMQBpqm08g

No worries Iffy, I did all four the other week. Shop around for the bits. TCB were very helpful. Any questions let me know.

iffyT

Cheers thanks, I shall no doubt have questions! Just out of interest, how much did all the bits set you back? Did you go with new struts or just inserts? Sorry for the derail

Also, can scratch that video folks... it's for a the mk2 MR2. I am an idiot.
The bit where he goes through using the spring compressors is still valid though I guess!

Joesson

Quote from: iffyT on October 21, 2020, 17:54Cheers thanks, I shall no doubt have questions! Just out of interest, how much did all the bits set you back? Did you go with new struts or just inserts? Sorry for the derail

Also, can scratch that video folks... it's for a the mk2 MR2. I am an idiot.
The bit where he goes through using the spring compressors is still valid though I guess!

I had a look at it nevertheless, it also led to another YouTube link specifically for a mk3 BUT, not a very professional approach in what he actually did. The guy suggested taking the assembly to a garage for removing and refitting the spring, otherwise using three compressors, that would give a theoretical better compression, but I found two did the job and have not seen them sold in sets of three. He was almost paranoid about the compressors slipping off and actually buried the assembly in sandy ground so that it wouldn't get him if it came apart.
An observation, the video of the use of a socket and wrench showed a one handed usage, often resulting in the socket slipping off as pressure is applied and helping round off the hex head. Whenever possible I always cup or hold the socket in my left hand and apply pressure to the socket to keep it in place before applying pressure with the right hand.

Mr2paul

Sounds like a very shoddy work through there so I'm not even going to look. If someone can't use a socket and buries stuff in sand then I loose all interest. To do anything you need confidence, sometimes miss placed but we all start with gusto.
My motto....failing to prepare is preparing to fail. 
Learning is good. Failing to learn is not an option

Newbie57

Taken me a while to get round to it but one shock is off now. The ABS sensor nut snapped, but other than that no big issues. Just have to get a new one.

The top mount bearing is a bit not notchy. Looked on line tonight seems to be a shortage of these. Any suggestions as to who might have some?

Joesson

Quote from: Newbie57 on November 22, 2020, 17:38Taken me a while to get round to it but one shock is off now. The ABS sensor nut snapped, but other than that no big issues. Just have to get a new one.

The top mount bearing is a bit not notchy. Looked on line tonight seems to be a shortage of these. Any suggestions as to who might have some?

I don't recall anyone having replaced these bearings and iirc I have read that they are "not replaceable". I have seen ads for the complete top mount, but of course more costly than a bearing. It may be worth pursuing further as the bearing wasn't born in the mount.
PS first call could be to TCB on here.
For guidance Front top mount £59 each from MR2 Ben

Jamtastic

@Newbie57

Hi

KYB SM5215 top mounts (front) The bearing is sealed as opposed to the originals. Have a look on eBay. Think I paid £60 for the pair.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Jamtastic on November 23, 2020, 15:17KYB SM5215 top mounts (front) The bearing is sealed as opposed to the originals. Have a look on eBay. Think I paid £60 for the pair.

That's interesting. I saw someone suggesting that a different Toyota model also fitted, but this is the first I've seen of someone having fitted them. How did you know they'd fit?

Bossworld

I fitted Japanparts RU-2320 which are sealed and were labelled specifically for the MR2. Cost me about £50 for the pair.

Fairly sure someone fitted a very similar part number but the parts catalogue returned them as Avensis?

Jamtastic

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on November 23, 2020, 16:36
Quote from: Jamtastic on November 23, 2020, 15:17KYB SM5215 top mounts (front) The bearing is sealed as opposed to the originals. Have a look on eBay. Think I paid £60 for the pair.

That's interesting. I saw someone suggesting that a different Toyota model also fitted, but this is the first I've seen of someone having fitted them. How did you know they'd fit?

Hi Gaz

I got the 5215 number from a post on here somewhere. Sorry I don't have a link. The eBay listing had a list of compatible part numbers which I X-reffed to the epc and ToyoDiy. I obviously physically compared them as well. Only difference is the fact the bearing is sealed which is a bonus.
As to another Toyota model fitting it's quite possible as it's a parts bin of a car and it's not cost effective for Toyota to have too many bespoke parts on every model they make.
The epc will give you the diagram and the prefix of the part number. ToyoDiy will give the prefix and suffix but no diagram. I just jump between the two websites.
Are you planning a refresh? If you need any help just ask. In fact I'll get all the stuff together and post it anyway.

Gaz mr-s

@ Jamtastic  No just an interested reader.  I've already done mine.  Using the KYB part number & looking at the ebay listings it wqas easy to see the commonality of the Toyota part number.  And a sealed bearing...  much more sensible.

The cheapest ebay listing (Febi) has 15% off for two. Will ebay do another 10/15/20% off this week....?

Tags: