Hello. Power steering not working.

Started by Bad Dog, November 24, 2020, 21:31

Bad Dog

And now it's not working  again  :(

Carolyn

Do try the wet and dry on the commutator.  If that fails, you might be better off buying one from our affiliate breaker, Mr Sloan.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bad Dog

Ok, so started the old girl up this morning and guess what it's working again.

During my research I've heard people talking of "intermittent " power steering issues.

So my question is- For those people who have had an intermittent problem what did it end up being, the pump or an electrical issue or something else ?

P.s. I've ordered another pump from DICK and will see if that makes any difference

Joesson

Quote from: Bad Dog on December  1, 2020, 09:10Ok, so started the old girl up this morning and guess what it's working again.

During my research I've heard people talking of "intermittent " power steering issues.

So my question is- For those people who have had an intermittent problem what did it end up being, the pump or an electrical issue or something else ?

P.s. I've ordered another pump from DICK and will see if that makes any difference

If all else fails there is the Petrus option.

For details see Readers Rides, Southern Belle.

Bad Dog

Quote from: Joesson on December  1, 2020, 11:09
Quote from: Bad Dog on December  1, 2020, 09:10Ok, so started the old girl up this morning and guess what it's working again.

Done a bit of digging on his page but can't see anything about steering ( he has a lot of posts ) Want to give me a bit of a clue ?

I think I heard somebody mention a closed loop system which I presume mean connecting the in and out ports on the rack and leaving it like that ?

Petrus

Joesson

Quote from: Bad Dog on December  1, 2020, 17:35
Quote from: Joesson on December  1, 2020, 11:09

Done a bit of digging on his page but can't see anything about steering ( he has a lot of posts ) Want to give me a bit of a clue ?

I think I heard somebody mention a closed loop system which I presume mean connecting the in and out ports on the rack and leaving it like that ?

@Petrus removed the PS system to give more feel to the system and/ or as part of his weight saving regime.
With me flagging up his name he may pop in and give you an up date on his experiences without the pump.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on December  1, 2020, 18:30@Petrus removed the PS system to give more feel to the system and/ or as part of his weight saving regime.
With me flagging up his name he may pop in and give you an up date on his experiences without the pump.

Nothing much to report on it Joesson.

I did not like the lack of feedback from the imo overkill assistance.
The power steering ratio rack gives brílliant direct feed back without the pump.
Not regretted the delete for a single moment.

The delete itself is straightforward. The photos are clear enough.
The most tricky thing is taking the pinnacle out and block the fault light with tape behind the pictogram. Hardly complicated.

Bad Dog

Quote from: Petrus on December  1, 2020, 18:50
Quote from: Joesson on December  1, 2020, 18:30@Petrus removed the PS system to give more feel to the system and/ or as part of his weight saving regime.

Nothing much to report on it Joesson.

I did not like the lack of feedback from the imo overkill assistance.
The power steering ratio rack gives brílliant direct feed back without the pump.
Not regretted the delete for a single moment.

The delete itself is straightforward. The photos are clear enough.
The most tricky thing is taking the pinnacle out and block the fault light with tape behind the pictogram. Hardly complicated.

Thanks for the info Petrus.

Is the mod literally a single piece of pipe joining the two ports together ?

Have you left fluid in the rack ?

And how does it feel weight wise at slow speeds ? I'm presuming that when power steering fails it becomes really heavy because when your turning the wheel your trying to move the rack and the pump and all the fluid ?

Cheers Euan.

Petrus

Yes, as simple as that; connecting both sides of the piston.
Left as much liquid as possible in there.

When stationary the steering is very heavy, but with the slightest rolling movement it is ok and from walking speed not excessive.

Since you need to faff about with it anyway, I´d say try it out.

Bad Dog

Quote from: Petrus on December  1, 2020, 20:00Yes, as simple as that; connecting both sides of the piston.
Left as much liquid as possible in there.

When stationary the steering is very heavy, but with the slightest rolling movement it is ok and from walking speed not excessive.

Since you need to faff about with it anyway, I´d say try it out.

My thoughts exactly, nice to have options 😊 cheers thanks for the info.

Bad Dog

Ok,
     hopefully this will be the final update on this. Recived a newtome power steering pump from DICK SLOAN (excellent customer service) last night fitted it and .........bingo works a treat, even sounds better than the original  (when it worked) and works better than the original  (when it worked)

When I got newtome pump I took the motor cover off for a sneaky peek. There was a fair amount of dust but crucially the commutators had significantly less wear than the original and virtually no grooving.

So for now everything is golden, if it all goes tits up again I'm going for the Petrus option 😁

Joesson

So pleased that your problem is now resolved and even more so that you kept us all informed, keep up the good work , don't be a stranger.

Bad Dog

Quote from: Joesson on December  3, 2020, 13:36So pleased that your problem is now resolved and even more so that you kept us all informed, keep up the good work , don't be a stranger.

Got a few more jobs to do I think , more questions than answers 😁

Tags: