'00 track car

Started by AJRFulton, December 2, 2020, 16:48

thetyrant

Its impossible to know if all these engines failed for the same reason or they could all be for different reasons with a common cause,  ive heard of many 2zz fails on track but usually tired well abused engines so to be expected especially on such a high revving motor, the high revs puts a lot of strain on everything and there is a great steve morris engines on ytube which shows the difference revs makes to strain on internals,  i think  its clear the 2zz is not for you i would just cut your losses and save anymore heartache and switch to a different engine.

I think if it was me i would consider throwing a good 1zz lump in there as thats the easy/cheap swap, then get some seat time in the car see if same issues occur, hopefully not so you can enjoy the rest of car for awhile while you ponder what to do next.

Whatever you do dont use that oil cooler again throw it away, im sure its a big part of your problems ;)

Good luck whichever way you go :)
Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

AJRFulton

Yeah if I'm doing track days or sprints there is no need for the cooler.

Although the 1ZZ limits my options what I can do. It's not got the power to compete if I want to do that again.

thetyrant

I didnt mean dont use a oilcooler, just dont use the one you have there with bits of engine inside it :)  as ive mentioned before its best practice to NEVER reuse an oil cooler from a engine thats lets go as you can never guarantee to get all the bits out, some get lucky and they stay in cooler but its just not worth the risk, ive seen it a few times in the Evo scene i used to be part of, everyone that reused the cooler after flushing it best they could had engine issues again.

Lower power with the 1zz yes but hopefully you could beat on it all day long without issues and have some seat time try to gain time elsewhere, with the aftermarket ecu/decent mapper and breathing mods i dont think it would be that far behind your restricted 2zz setup, also its going to be a lot faster than a blown up 2zz :D

I would also question the tune on the 2zz setup which is another common part to all the engine issues, i think read somewhere one here he was using overfueling to restrict top end power and help cool the engine?, that could well of diluted the oil/lubrication etc,  if you have not already and you still have some i would get oil analysed to see if its heavy on fuel.

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

AJRFulton

Quote from: thetyrant on December 21, 2023, 08:39I didnt mean dont use a oilcooler, just dont use the one you have there with bits of engine inside it :)  as ive mentioned before its best practice to NEVER reuse an oil cooler from a engine thats lets go as you can never guarantee to get all the bits out, some get lucky and they stay in cooler but its just not worth the risk, ive seen it a few times in the Evo scene i used to be part of, everyone that reused the cooler after flushing it best they could had engine issues again.

Lower power with the 1zz yes but hopefully you could beat on it all day long without issues and have some seat time try to gain time elsewhere, with the aftermarket ecu/decent mapper and breathing mods i dont think it would be that far behind your restricted 2zz setup, also its going to be a lot faster than a blown up 2zz :D

I would also question the tune on the 2zz setup which is another common part to all the engine issues, i think read somewhere one here he was using overfueling to restrict top end power and help cool the engine?, that could well of diluted the oil/lubrication etc,  if you have not already and you still have some i would get oil analysed to see if its heavy on fuel.

I used to have that mapped in as cooling was such an issue on the engine on 20-25 minute races. It did help but obviously with risk.

Although this engine didn't have that mapped in as was only sprinting, so cooling wasn't an issue.

Cooling was something I do struggle with in the 2ZZ, especially on >10 minutes of hot laps with no cool down laps. Progressively did things to help this - Oil cooler, big front radiator, cooling additives, wider side ducts, opening up the bonnet flaps to draw air - only helped a small bit but still had problems with oil temps peaking over 140°C. The shorter formats were fine with oil staying ~130°c, but that is a couple of hot laps then cool off for a lap and go again. I've had the issue with multiple engines.

The more I write down the more I realize the 2ZZ probably just isn't capable of reliably doing what I'm asking of it.

jvanzyl

" The more I write down the more I realize the 2ZZ probably just isn't capable of reliably doing what I'm asking of it."

Somewhere there is a siren with a red flashing light going off and @Alex Knight  will be along shortly to defend the 2ZZ's honour  ;)

I do wonder if it's worth a consult with @tommyzoom99  on their version of the 1zz...

Alex Knight

@jvanzyl I will defend MY 2ZZ to the death, though I'm obviously not unaware of the reported failures on track. I can only speak to my experiences, but my engine has been the most reliable of any car I have had, ever. And that includes daily drivers.

But... as soon as I read the 130-140C oil temperatures above, across multiple engine failures, I immediately put 2 and 2 together. To me, this is very obviously your issue. Those temperatures are literally catastrophically high to me.

AJRFulton

Tbf Alex has been telling me to k20 for about 2yrs.

2ZZ is a really good engine but there's a difference between road, track and race use, with each stepping up.

AJRFulton

Quote from: Alex Knight on December 22, 2023, 13:19@jvanzyl I will defend MY 2ZZ to the death, though I'm obviously not unaware of the reported failures on track. I can only speak to my experiences, but my engine has been the most reliable of any car I have had, ever. And that includes daily drivers.

But... as soon as I read the 130-140C oil temperatures above, across multiple engine failures, I immediately put 2 and 2 together. To me, this is very obviously your issue. Those temperatures are literally catastrophically high to me.

I agree they are hot, although not untypical. The millers NT+ says it's good to there, but it's stretching the limits.

Water temperature is +90°.

Had temperature trouble with OEM and built engines. Various temp sensors and gauges. With and without oil coolers. With OEM radiators and with bigger motorsport radiator. With OEM ducts and with enlarged ducts. With water based and waterless coolants. With thermostat and without thermostat. With Fuchs and Millers oils. Each improvement makes it better, but it still creeps up eventually.

JB21

Didn't realise you were peaking over 140°c oil temps, that's insane with a cooler and is surly the issue.

For reference my non oil cooler 2zz can run for 20+ minutes at 10 tenths and it never reach 130°c. All I have is a huge mishimoto radiator.

jvanzyl

I have a thought/ question. Is there a difference between the water pumps found in a celica sourced engine vs a Lotus engine? Same goes for the thermostats?

AJRFulton

Quote from: JB21 on December 23, 2023, 08:26Didn't realise you were peaking over 140°c oil temps, that's insane with a cooler and is surly the issue.

For reference my non oil cooler 2zz can run for 20+ minutes at 10 tenths and it never reach 130°c. All I have is a huge mishimoto radiator.

I also have a huge mishimoto radiator (probably same one)

Water cooling has never been too much of an issue though. The radiator upgrade did bring water temps down 3-4°c, but did little for oil temps.

Alex Knight

Quote from: jvanzyl on December 23, 2023, 09:34I have a thought/ question. Is there a difference between the water pumps found in a celica sourced engine vs a Lotus engine? Same goes for the thermostats?

I believe that there are two options: metal and plastic - though I can't tell you which is used in which application.

Tags: