'00 track car

Started by AJRFulton, December 2, 2020, 16:48

JB21

Wow, the luck you have with this car is unbelievable 😳

AJRFulton

Quote from: JB21 on March 30, 2023, 19:42Wow, the luck you have with this car is unbelievable 😳

I'm taking a sample of new oil in tomorrow to run a test on it.

AJRFulton

I flushed the oil as completely as possible as sump was off.

New oil in and ran car to temperature for 20 minutes. Let is cool. Then ran again for a minute.

Resampled the oil, and comparing fresh oil to oil that's been round the engine...... I'm confident now that athe engine has no leak and water/sludge was down to condensation and car sitting with mineral oil/assembly lubes for 5mths while I recovered from injury.

It is a relief!

puma2

:) if you don't mind me asking how are at the moment and how is the recovery going :)

AJRFulton

Quote from: puma2 on April  1, 2023, 12:46:) if you don't mind me asking how are at the moment and how is the recovery going :)

Cheers for asking, I'm able to do pretty much everything in the day to day again. Just really lack core fitness/strength and have put on about 12kg whilst injured - however it's moving the right way.

The only real legacy issue I'm having is flex in the right side of my hip which is making things like climbing steps/hills, cycling, running, difficult as I fatigue quickly. I struggle a bit to get into the awkward bits of the car too, I doubt I could do much work on it if I had anything other than a 2 post ramp.

Physio is targeting the end of summer for me being back to where I was before the crash. Doing pilates and flex classes now.

puma2

:) glad to here it all going in the right direction for you.
so hopefully a good recovery in time 8)  8)

take your time and don't over do it easier said than done sometime you can only tell by the next day feeling.
enjoy the new classes that you did not do before but are doing now with the aim  of overall  improvement :)  :)   

AJRFulton

It's been a long, long road - but finally the car is ready to roll back on track.

I was supposed to be at a track day today to give it a shake down today, but whilst the car works for once, it's my body that's let me down. I tore ligaments in my clutch foot last weekend and whilst "nearly" there, I can't quite push the clutch pedal safely.

I am entered into the double header Scottish Motorsports meet at Knockhill this weekend, but just need the pain to subside enough that I can push a pedal. They are giving me every chance and will let me withdraw on the day if need be. It will be a big ask going straight into competition having last had meaningful track time 3yrs ago and no track testing or fine tuning of the car - also on the reverse configuration of the track - which I've little experience on.

Car is running well, engine is singing, and mechanically it's the best I've ever had it.

Had it professionally set up and corner weighted last week, and running it around the quarry car park it feels very good. Asked for a little less rear toe in over previous set ups. The changes at Knockhill should allow for a little less rear end stable car.

Gaz2405

Great work and well done!

Car looks and sounds like it feels fantastic as well.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

AJRFulton

Quote from: Gaz2405 on June  1, 2023, 08:24Great work and well done!

Car looks and sounds like it feels fantastic as well.

We will see when it's on track.

I'm nervous about Saturday. It's been 2yrs since I was on track, and 3yrs since I can say I had proper trouble free running.

Going straight into competition with Knockhill in its reverse configuration (which I have less than 10 laps experience), with the track having a few changes since I last drove it, in a car that's untested and carrying ligament damage in my clutch foot....... What could go wrong!

I did pull out of the Scottish Modsports race as I felt there were too many "ifs" to jump straight into full blown racing, against seasoned racers - too much risk and I'm rusty. Instead I'm doing Superlap, which is a similar format to Time Attack - better format for the moment.

If I wasn't desperate to finally get a full season under my belt I'd be calling a rain check on this.

Topdownman

Good luck, hope all goes well and you enjoy it!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Alex Knight

I'm happy to pedal it if you can't!

;D

AJRFulton

Feel that was biggest downer I've had in racing.

Qualified the car in P1, which wasn't expected.

Then the diff blew. Rare thing to happen apparently.

Positives, car is on point.

Negatives... Another expensive retirement.

AJRFulton

I've review the footage and I think the diffs a red herring. There's so much noise and I wear ear plugs, so hard to hear.

I think I've spun a bearing.

However looking at the longer footage my oil pressure never drops, nor does the oil pressure warning light (blue light on my dash that comes on when engine cuts out).

Engine is only 30 laps old, and bottom end was professionally rebuilt.

Alex Knight

You have the worst luck of anyone I've ever known on a forum. Really sorry it's more bad news for you.

Looking at (and listening to) your footage, I can hear a distinct change in engine note right at the start of the video when you change up from 2nd to 3rd. I think that's where it let go.

AJRFulton

Yeah mate. You can hear the car started going at hairpin. I had noticed it by the braking point for the chicane.

That's a brand new block and professionally rebuilt bottom end. Crank reground and balanced and running new OEM piston and rods. Fully reloomed, new coils, injectors, ECUMaster black, etc, etc. Engine ran in on a Dyno - went for OEM power. Spent the best part of £6k to get 29 laps running. Last time around I spent circa £4.5k to get 30 laps running, before that £2k to get 60 laps, etc. As well of hundreds of hours of time.

Running a baffled sump with accusump as backup (activates at 25psi). Running 5w40 NT+ oil.

That's the 3rd bearing I've spun in about 150 laps.

I think I'm through with the 2ZZ as an engine. It doesn't agree with me and seems prone to oiling issues

JB21

Kinel mate, that is just horrible luck once again. I blew my gerbox at Oulton on Wednesday, sounds similar but I knew it was the box instantly as 3rd gear wasn't there anymore.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/143564079695220/permalink/1262875877764029/

Alex Knight

Can I suggest just chucking a used one in and sending it?

Gaz2405

Absolutely gutted for you mate.

If it's just a standard diff you're after, happy to let mine go out of my box. (I'm going E153) For way below market value to see this get going again.

I also think you remained relatively calm straight after it, steering wheel would have been bent in two and launched through the screen if it was me.
1zz turbo. Home built and home mapped.

Now 2zz turbo. Home built and home mapped

Build thread https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=67004.0

AJRFulton

It's not the diff. It's bottom end.

Even though I got the short block 17mths ago (it's taken me that long to get on track). Do you think I can claim there?

I've sank a lot of cash into this and did it right. I don't expect a professionally built engine for a race application to spin a main bearing so soon.

moca2cv

Quote from: AJRFulton on June  4, 2023, 15:14It's not the diff. It's bottom end.

Even though I got the short block 17mths ago (it's taken me that long to get on track). Do you think I can claim there?

I've sank a lot of cash into this and did it right. I don't expect a professionally built engine for a race application to spin a main bearing so soon.

Sorry for your bad luck :(
I'd guess that the engine builder offers no warranty for track (ab)use. That said, I like to believe most people are decent humans - and I would be asking the engine builder to investigate why this happened. If it turns out to be the fault of the engine builder give them a chance to rectify it. I suspect you won't get anywhere with a claim, other than putting the guy's back up.

AJRFulton

6 weeks on and I still haven't done anything to the car other than drain the oil. The oil appeared absolutely fine and there was plenty of it, so struggling as to why starvation has happened, but we'll see when I finally get around to getting the sump off.

Honestly, I feel like this car and motorsport has broken me - mentally this put me in a very low mood for about a month – so much effort, time and money – all for nothing, and it's coming off the back of previous disappointment.

Getting this car back on track has been a struggle and the thought of starting again isn't sitting well with me. Running a race car unaided out of a shed at my parents, having to learn almost everything as I go, is the most difficult thing I've ever undertaken. The early part of this year I was juggling too many balls between doing a post-grad, working full time, the planning process for a house, building a camper van and doing the race car. Its burned me out.

I guess the one positive is that after 2yrs off track, coming back from a long term injury, and having had no track days or set up time prior to the event, I went straight back in and put the car fastest in class during qualifying before the engine went – albeit a slightly weaker field than normal. However between the car set up an my own rustiness there was still a good chunk of time in the car.

I think I'm done with competitive motorsport, I just don't have the resources mentally, physically and financially to keep doing it – its lead to too much disappointment and burden, I'm fed up being known as unlucky. Maybe I'll just go back down the track day route - no pressure to get a car 'right' and it fun is all that matters.

JB21

Quote from: AJRFulton on July 11, 2023, 10:426 weeks on and I still haven't done anything to the car other than drain the oil. The oil appeared absolutely fine and there was plenty of it, so struggling as to why starvation has happened, but we'll see when I finally get around to getting the sump off.

Honestly, I feel like this car and motorsport has broken me - mentally this put me in a very low mood for about a month – so much effort, time and money – all for nothing, and it's coming off the back of previous disappointment.

Getting this car back on track has been a struggle and the thought of starting again isn't sitting well with me. Running a race car unaided out of a shed at my parents, having to learn almost everything as I go, is the most difficult thing I've ever undertaken. The early part of this year I was juggling too many balls between doing a post-grad, working full time, the planning process for a house, building a camper van and doing the race car. Its burned me out.

I guess the one positive is that after 2yrs off track, coming back from a long term injury, and having had no track days or set up time prior to the event, I went straight back in and put the car fastest in class during qualifying before the engine went – albeit a slightly weaker field than normal. However between the car set up an my own rustiness there was still a good chunk of time in the car.

I think I'm done with competitive motorsport, I just don't have the resources mentally, physically and financially to keep doing it – its lead to too much disappointment and burden, I'm fed up being known as unlucky. Maybe I'll just go back down the track day route - no pressure to get a car 'right' and it fun is all that matters.

Track day route totally makes sense. Like I said get a used engine, forget all the bells and whistles and just go and enjoy the car without the pressure of competing.

AJRFulton

The only issue with track days, it's a 175 mile round trip to the nearest track. The distance means that I'm not actually sure how often I would do them - it's a long way to go for say a 2hr track night. Although they do a handful of open full days which would be more worthwhile - these are rare for the weekend so it's always days off work, etc.

With motorsport it was more of an event. Roll in on the Friday and camp up until the Sunday. It felt more worth the drive.

JB21

At least you have a trailer and comfortable tow car/van. Try driving a tricked out MR2 hundreds of miles across country then driving 8 hours on track, and then hundreds of miles across country back home its truly exhausting.

Alex Knight

Quote from: JB21 on July 11, 2023, 12:38At least you have a trailer and comfortable tow car/van. Try driving a tricked out MR2 hundreds of miles across country then driving 8 hours on track, and then hundreds of miles across country back home its truly exhausting.

Exactly the reason I don't have a stripped interior and have things like Apple CarPlay, adjustable damping etc.

I did a 660 mile round trip to Blyton Park, numerous laps too, and it was perfectly acceptable.

Compromise? Yes.
Worth the compromise? Absolutely.

Tags: