Advice please - Code P0420

Started by normanh, December 11, 2020, 14:07

Zxrob

I have that code on mine, however, mine is de-cat, the eml comes on only after a fare few miles, just get rid of it with torque pro

Rob
Adventure before dementia 😁

normanh

I have already cancelled the code Zxrob and it hasnt reappeared after 80 miles.

Norman

normanh

Just had the emissions test done this morning and it looks like the cat is on its way out, surprisingly its didnt fail. Results as follows compared to the ones earlier in the year -

test             21/12/20        10/1/20
fast idle CO       0.28           0.03
Fast Idle HC          34             9
lambda             1.001           1.003

Natural idle CO     0.14            0.02

The MOT is due from the 10th Jan and its unlikely I will be doing many miles now with Tier 4 so if the test is a repeat its going to pass as its stands so maybe the urgency is less than I originally thought. Providing CO is below 30 on fast ideal

Norman   

shnazzle

Quote from: normanh on December 21, 2020, 12:20Just had the emissions test done this morning and it looks like the cat is on its way out, surprisingly its didnt fail. Results as follows compared to the ones earlier in the year -

test            21/12/20        10/1/20
fast idle CO      0.28          0.03
Fast Idle HC          34            9
lambda            1.001          1.003

Natural idle CO    0.14            0.02

The MOT is due from the 10th Jan and its unlikely I will be doing many miles now with Tier 4 so if the test is a repeat its going to pass as its stands so maybe the urgency is less than I originally thought. Providing CO is below 30 on fast ideal

Norman   
What did you do to obtain the values in the new test?
...neutiquam erro.

normanh

See above m8 those dated 21/12/20 last MOT is dated 10/1/20. Now have the phone reader will try that sometime when its not raining.

Norman

MRSwede

In Sweden when our old Volvos having problem passing MOT cause of high CO, we are overdosing fuel system water remover with good outcome.

Just a thought  ;D

normanh

Good News Today - MOT Passed no advisories

Emissions today as follows -

Fast Idle
CO 0.26%/Vol
HC 27ppm
Lambda 0.994

Natural Idle
CO 0.31%/Vol

The manic rush id=s now off, will wait for the weather to warm up an then change the cat/sensor.

Norman

jonbill

Quote from: MRSwede on December 21, 2020, 15:27In Sweden when our old Volvos having problem passing MOT cause of high CO, we are overdosing fuel system water remover with good outcome.

Just a thought  ;D
thats good to know. something like isopropanol?

shnazzle

Quote from: jonbill on January 11, 2021, 22:39
Quote from: MRSwede on December 21, 2020, 15:27In Sweden when our old Volvos having problem passing MOT cause of high CO, we are overdosing fuel system water remover with good outcome.

Just a thought  ;D
thats good to know. something like isopropanol?
Temporarily bypassing the PCV helps as well :)
...neutiquam erro.

normanh

We have some 10% ethanol already in our fuel adding IPA might be a tad risky - not talking about the beer guys

Norman

Ardent

Where are you based if you have 10% ethanol?

MRSwede

According to the safety pamphlet containing

Ethanol
Propan-2-ol
4-Metylpentan-2-on
Butanone

normanh

Unleaded has/will have 10% bio-ethanol https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/104126/e10-petrol-be-uk-standard-wont-work-1m-older-cars

Was 5% and increased to reduce emissions, compatibility is questionable with older cars. TBH I filled up the other day and never looked at the pump to see whether it was E5 or E10 fuel

Norman

Joesson

Quote from: normanh on January 12, 2021, 21:16Unleaded has/will have 10% bio-ethanol https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/104126/e10-petrol-be-uk-standard-wont-work-1m-older-cars

Was 5% and increased to reduce emissions, compatibility is questionable with older cars. TBH I filled up the other day and never looked at the pump to see whether it was E5 or E10 fuel

Norman

From the link that Norman provided we can see:

Toyota Motors Group
Toyota:
E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Toyota European petrol models made from January 1998, excluding:
• Avensis 2.0 litre with engine 1AZ-FSE made between July 2000 and October 2008.
• Avensis 2.4 litre with engine 2AZ-FSE made between June 2003 and October 2008.

It would seem on this basis that E10 fuel is compatible with our 2's.

Ardent

I will wager a coffee it was E5. Not seen an E10 pump yet. but will be dodging them, should I encounter.

jonbill

I don't think ethanol is that good at mixing fuel and water. Too short to do the job.

normanh

I think MRswede is referring to the use of de-icer which is IPA based.

Norman

MRSwede

No not de-icer (spraying on surfaces).

Hard to link to something that seems to be sold mainly in Scandinavian

You cannot view this attachment. 

Tags: