Chassis stiffness and braces

Started by Petrus, December 19, 2020, 13:41

Petrus

Few things a such a hot item as bracing the supposedly flexy tub of the Spyder.

Mine has a none too stiff front tower brace, Snelbaard´s belly brace connecting the tub and the OEM rear tower brace. The TRD lower control arm braces do nothing in this aspect.

See what happens with only the front left on a support...

You cannot view this attachment.

There was about 3 cm in it  :o  ok make it 5 or anything in between as the grit is not entirely level nor even.  It impressed me though and confirmed to mé that the car does not need all that much extra bracing for even véry spirited driving on normal roads.

Snelbaard

I have to say I actually think that's quite a lot of flex. Good to know though :)
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Petrus

Quote from: Snelbaard on December 19, 2020, 19:08I have to say I actually think that's quite a lot of flex. Good to know though :)

Factored in the rear suspension?

Point is that ´illustates´ the combined restistance to torsion of rear suspension and chassis.

Undulations on the road are a fráction of this so it puts the much maligned ´chassis flex´ in perspective imo.

Snelbaard

Nah I didn't consider the rear suspension. In that case it's probably very little flex :)
Follow me on instagram for all my Spyder products @snelbaard

Dev

The TRD lower braces don't do a whole lot but the Toms does, so much so I found it to be the best brace out of all the braces. Having the subframe control arm attachments reinforced makes the rear end solid. You can feel the car slide smoothly while applying power.  I have tried both, there is no comparison. 

Tags: