Oil temp/pressure gauge for track use?

Started by Iain, December 24, 2020, 09:24

Iain

Hi all.

Been wondering about oil gauges for track days. My car is not a full decicated track car but aiming to be doing a few days a year.

Anybody who runs on track fitted an oil pressure and temp gauge? Would it be overkill on a stock 1zz?

Is there a specific oil i should use on track?

Thanks.

AdamR28

I haven't bothered. If water temperature starts to rise, that means oil temp is heading north, and thus pressure south - water temp is all the indication you need.

A decent quality, standard weight 5w30 fully synth oil should be fine for occasional track day. You can go up to 5w40 if you want a bit more pressure when the oil is very hot.

Edit: I should add, this is all for standard cars. No fancy tyres, no engine swaps, etc.

Another edit: You can also 'feel' when the engine is getting hot, I tend to use this as a guide.

Carolyn

Actually an oil pressure gauge can be really handy - especially if it's an un-damped analogue gauge, in your line of vision.

A quick dip of the needle lets you know when you're uncovering the oil scoop (usually in a long right-hander).

It can save you from a bottom-end incident.

It also tells you when the oil is warm, as the idle oil pressure will drop to around 20 psi.  The oil takes a lot longer than the coolant to get up to temp. 

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Mark A

I bought one of these and I think it helped me recognise when my 2ZZ developed an oil leak from the oil cooler. Useful for keeping an eye on water and oil temps at the same time.   

https://rspec.co.uk/gauges-4-in-1-multi-display-gauges-c-3_203/

Iain

Quote from: AdamR28 on December 24, 2020, 11:28I haven't bothered. If water temperature starts to rise, that means oil temp is heading north, and thus pressure south - water temp is all the indication you need.

Never actually thought about that with the water temp, makes sense when you think about it.

Cheers

gon

My 2zz mr2 (track car only ) would get to 140c oil temp during track days in less than 30 minutes without any sign of water temp rise.
Since installed a side mount oil cooler in addition to the OEM water/oil heat exchanger I can now stay out a lot longer before hitting the 140c mark (and never actually reach 140 in the winter ...).

same thing on my mr2 mk1 with the 4a-ge 16v and also with the 4a-ge 20v.

I really do believe the first mod for a car that is going to hit the track for the first time is an oil temp sensor.

If you are running road tires I wouldnt worry too much about oil pressure but if you change to track day tires then it is a must, ideally with a big red light if oil pressure drops bellow 0.7bar (10psi) or so.

JB21

Quote from: gon on December 30, 2020, 10:44My 2zz mr2 (track car only ) would get to 140c oil temp during track days in less than 30 minutes without any sign of water temp rise.
Since installed a side mount oil cooler in addition to the OEM water/oil heat exchanger I can now stay out a lot longer before hitting the 140c mark (and never actually reach 140 in the winter ...).

I really do believe the first mod for a car that is going to hit the track for the first time is an oil temp sensor.

If you are running road tires I wouldnt worry too much about oil pressure but if you change to track day tires then it is a must, ideally with a big red light if oil pressure drops bellow 0.7bar (10psi) or so.

The Roadster has a OEM water/oil heat exchanger?

tatieu

On track, pressure and temp oil gauges are mandatory for save your engine.
The temperature is very high on track and it's necessary to check it before a too high temp.

Carolyn

Quote from: JB21 on December 30, 2020, 12:05
Quote from: gon on December 30, 2020, 10:44My 2zz mr2 (track car only ) would get to 140c oil temp during track days in less than 30 minutes without any sign of water temp rise.

The Roadster has a OEM water/oil heat exchanger?

Yes it does - right above the filter (unless it's an MR S)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Iain

Thanks for your input. I do like the thought of having one or even both, could well save a costly issue

Alex Knight

Quote from: tatieu on December 30, 2020, 15:12On track, pressure and temp oil gauges are mandatory for save your engine.
The temperature is very high on track and it's necessary to check it before a too high temp.

Recommended, yes. Mandatory, no.

Mines been on track for years and years with no issues, and no gauge.

I'd recommend frequent oil changes with very high quality oil before fitting a gauge.

JB21

Never had an issue with temps in my 2zz conversion without coolers or sensors, but I don't take the piddle with prolonged stints out on track.

I change the oil after every other track day too. Dont use premium oil, just ECP triple QX 5w 40 fully synthetic.

Longest I stay out is 20-25 minutes and I'll even have a cool down lap or 2 in that stint.

Think mechanical sympathy is more important than anything for engine longevity.

Alex Knight

Quote from: JB21 on December 30, 2020, 19:07Never had an issue with temps in my 2zz conversion without coolers or sensors, but I don't take the piddle with prolonged stints out on track.

I change the oil after every other track day too. Dont use premium oil, just ECP triple QX 5w 40 fully synthetic.

Longest I stay out is 20-25 minutes and I'll even have a cool down lap or 2 in that stint.

Think mechanical sympathy is more important than anything for engine longevity.

100% agree with everything said here.

Tags: