Any thoughts?

Started by moredun, January 13, 2021, 14:23

moredun

Looks like my boot release is frozen solid, and battery flat  ::)

Does anyone know a point where I might be able to jump start the car other than the engine dept. or be able to get charge back into the battery?
Winner of the Numb bum award 2019

Carolyn

You could jack her up and place a positive charger lead on the nut that connects the lead from the battery to the starter motor.  Connect the negative lead to the chassis. 

Small fan heater under the bumper should thaw the boot release.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

moredun

Thanks for the ideas Carolyn, but neither solution possible just now, to far from house to get heater working and road very icy, busy to safely jack up and work under it (would need to remove nappy as well).

I think the best solution is to try and get some charge back into the battery somehow. The battery is at 10.3 Volts, just not enough power to crank over the engine but should not take much to get it fired up if done soon.

Carolyn

Well, you will need to run a mains power lead to the car in order to charge it.  So if that can't be done, then I suggest you tow or push the car to a place where that can be done.
There is now where in the frunk that I can identify that would work as a charging point.

Call the midlife!

I'm fairly confident you can manipulate the black plastic mesh out of the bumper without destroying it which should give you access to the lock mechanism for your de icing method of choice?
60% of the time it works everytime...

moredun

Hoping I might have a solution ...

By connecting a Jump start battery pack to the OBII socket, I should be able to top up the car battery, and no I wont try to crank over the engine while it's connected :P

I am sure the OBII has a direct connection to the battery, so the car battery and the battery pack should even themselves out, and with luck, enough power to crank over the engine.

Heavy sleet just now, but forecast for heavy snow and ice over the next few days

moredun

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 13, 2021, 15:36I'm fairly confident you can manipulate the black plastic mesh out of the bumper without destroying it which should give you access to the lock mechanism for your de icing method of choice?

I had a look at it, but could not work out how to get it off, and old plastic become very brittle, so little room for mistakes

Carolyn

Quote from: moredun on January 13, 2021, 15:37Hoping I might have a solution ...

By connecting a Jump start battery pack to the OBII socket, I should be able to top up the car battery, and no I wont try to crank over the engine while it's connected :P

I am sure the OBII has a direct connection to the battery, so the car battery and the battery pack should even themselves out, and with luck, enough power to crank over the engine.

Heavy sleet just now, but forecast for heavy snow and ice over the next few days

that would be putting far too many amps down a very thin wire!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: moredun on January 13, 2021, 15:39
Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 13, 2021, 15:36I'm fairly confident you can manipulate the black plastic mesh out of the bumper without destroying it which should give you access to the lock mechanism for your de icing method of choice?

I had a look at it, but could not work out how to get it off, and old plastic become very brittle, so little room for mistakes
Again, not entirely sure as mine is behind a Zunnsport grille anyway but I think there's 4 little "legs" on the corners that spring behind the bumper.

Come to think of it I think I have a spare one in the garage anyway so let me know if you do need a replacement and I'll send it up North.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Call the midlife! on January 13, 2021, 16:54
Quote from: moredun on January 13, 2021, 15:39

Again, not entirely sure as mine is behind a Zunnsport grille anyway but I think there's 4 little "legs" on the corners that spring behind the bumper.

Come to think of it I think I have a spare one in the garage anyway so let me know if you do need a replacement and I'll send it up North.
DON'T listen to me!!😆 I've just popped the lid and looked from inside, it's the Zunnsport that's hooked in the corners, the plastic is fastened with tags all along the top and bottom. Booger..

moredun

Thanks for the offer Call the midlife!, luckily the snow, then the darkness prevented me from having a bash before I saw your undated post  ;D Pity, as that could have been the perfect solution.

Round 2 starts tomorrow, weather permitting  ::)

paulj

just a bit of lateral thought.  Is it the catch which is frozen or is it the lid frosted to the frame?  if the latter perhaps someone with a lever to gently pry when you pull the release.

In the morning can you go armed with the biggest thermos of hot water you can muster.  Pour it around the catch area and cross your fingers!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Joesson

Quote from: paulj on January 13, 2021, 18:14just a bit of lateral thought.  Is it the catch which is frozen or is it the lid frosted to the frame?  if the latter perhaps someone with a lever to gently pry when you pull the release.

In the morning can you go armed with the biggest thermos of hot water you can muster.  Pour it around the catch area and cross your fingers!

Recently my daily weekly* drivers door stuck and needed a good pull to open.
When we lived  in Staffordshire my company car doors froze such that I had to resort to hot water.

* That is typically how often I use the car now for our weekly Tesco click and collect run.

SV-3

Quote from: Joesson on January 13, 2021, 18:52
Quote from: paulj on January 13, 2021, 18:14just a bit of lateral thought.  Is it the catch which is frozen or is it the lid frosted to the frame?  if the latter perhaps someone with a lever to gently pry when you pull the release.

When we lived  in Staffordshire my company car doors froze such that I had to resort to hot water.

* That is typically how often I use the car now for our weekly Tesco click and collect run.

Try talcum powder on the seals, prior to the bad weather (if that's not too personal) :o
'03 Mk3 Chilli Red (Avon ZV7's: 26F/32R)
Sony WX-920BT
"Hardtop Cognoscenti"
"Stock Cubed"
"AirCon Aficionado"
"Keeper of the Beeper"
Ex '88 Mk1b White (Yokohama A539's: 26F/28R)
"Here we all are, rumours and old toffee abound." John Martyn

moredun

The release lever works ok, so not the cable.
There is plenty of movement on the lid apart from the very center where the catch is. My guess is the striker is frozen to the release mechanism.

Round 2 will start with either deicer or anti freeze (which every is in the shed) being sprayed through the mesh grill on the offending parts ...

Joesson

Quote from: moredun on January 13, 2021, 19:25

The release lever works ok, so not the cable.
There is plenty of movement on the lid apart from the very center where the catch is. My guess is the striker is frozen to the release mechanism.

Round 2 will start with either deicer or anti freeze (which every is in the shed) being sprayed through the mesh grill on the offending parts ...

Remember that " anti freeze, as used in cooling systems, can strip paint.

Joesson

Quote from: SV-3 on January 13, 2021, 19:15

Try talcum powder on the seals (if that's not too personal) :o

It does stop chaffing, but not sure if it would help if the parts were frozen.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Joesson on January 13, 2021, 19:29
Quote from: SV-3 on January 13, 2021, 19:15

Try talcum powder on the seals (if that's not too personal) :o

It does stop chaffing, but not sure if it would help if the parts were frozen.
A favour vaseline but have to be careful not to get it on your trousers...

Alex Knight

I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned pouring hot water into the catch mechanism.

Joesson

Quote from: Alex Knight on January 13, 2021, 21:10I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned pouring hot water into the catch mechanism.

Please see #11, 12

Alex Knight

Quote from: Joesson on January 13, 2021, 22:02
Quote from: Alex Knight on January 13, 2021, 21:10I cannot believe that nobody has mentioned pouring hot water into the catch mechanism.

Please see #11, 12

I stand corrected. That'll teach me to skim read!

Happened to me recently. The charging port on the Mercedes was frozen shut. Bit of quite hot water did the trick instantly.

shnazzle

Maybe if hot water is struggling to get to it, a blow dryer?
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on January 13, 2021, 23:23Maybe if hot water is struggling to get to it, a blow dryer?
The one that comes in the toolkit?🤓

Joesson

Quote from: shnazzle on January 13, 2021, 23:23Maybe if hot water is struggling to get to it, a blow dryer?

The OP couldn't get mains power to the car.
I could when I needed to remove the plastic shell cover of the wing mirror on my daily. It was freezing but it "needed" to be done then so carefully used my hot air gun.

Petrus

Quote from: Carolyn on January 13, 2021, 16:26
Quote from: moredun on January 13, 2021, 15:37Hoping I might have a solution ...

that would be putting far too many amps down a very thin wire!

The cigaret lighter plug should be able too take enough to charge a bit rapidly if not enough to stárt.
No need for mains as simply connecting a charged battery overnight should do the trick to crank the engine over.

Starting is almost the equivalent of shorting the battery, which is why it goes over a relay and not a fuse.

Tags: